Carolina Hurricanes Vs. New York Rangers - Who Will Win?

Who will win, and in how many games?

• Total voters

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
If you think defense wins championships then you have to go with Carolina...and personally, I have thought highly of them for some time now. Their goaltending has just really sucked in years past.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
There’s a couple different ways to look at this. Not sure if people realize how dominant the Rangers have been with Carolina over the past decade. Something like 41-17 all time. Something of an Achilles heal and one of those weird stats in the game today. Regardless, the matchup will be tough considering the Canes are getting a lot of their regulars back. All around, I don’t think it’s a question that the Canes have a better defense. Really the reason for the Rangers success is 1) having the 5th ranked offense in the league and 2) goaltending. This means that the Rangers don’t (and historically have not) needed to play a high possession game. They capitalize on the chances they get because of skill. And that, in combination with the weaker goaltending of Carolina, (I don’t think it’s a question that it’s weaker) is why I would choose the Rangers. The Canes defense can play impeccable against the Rangers but sooner or later there will be shots that will get on net. And ultimately, it’s up to the goaltender to stop the puck, not the defense. That will be the determinable factor in this series, whether the Canes goalies can rise to the occasion.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Panarin could win a game on his own. Igor could stand on his head in another one. One game OT coinflip. Carolina has much better depth at both F and D but these play in series will all be some degree of crapshoot.

Rangers in 5

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Carolina is the better team but if I to put my savings on the series I'd put it on the Rangers.

Rangers matchup well against the Canes. Carolinas GM was the only one who really fought the format which will not inspire confidence in the Carolina locker room. Rangers have the boosted motivation of winning as they are the only team to own the opponents 1st round pick. These factors combined I think will be enough to tip the favor towards to the Rags.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad