Carolina Hurricanes looking for big contributions from several prospects

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You're still worrying about a player's development based off a 3-game sample size.

You know how long it took this organization to give up on Dalpe/Boychuk?

Lindholm will be fine. He'll get his time in the NHL until the last of his 9-games, then be sent down to Chatlotte.

At which point, he'll likely play top-line minutes with Boychuk, who's actually a really productive player down there

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The problem this contention on Boychuk/Dalpe is that for the most part, they weren't stuck on bad lines during their development. They DID get lots of playing time in the AHL in roles (top line, lots of minutes, PP, etc...) to develop them for an offensive role in the NHL. On top of that, they had numerous chances in the top 6 and were never consistent enough to stick. Their problem (to date) is that they haven't been good/consistent enough to play an offensive role in the top 6..and haven't been good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6. Unless that changes (and it still could), they will continue to be an AHL/NHL tweener.

Did they spend a bit of time on the bottom six at some points? Yes, but to say that contributed to them not producing is ignoring the fact that they haven't been good enough. Re: Bowman, I think he's shown that he IS only a bottom six player at this point.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I can see where you're thinking, but I have to argue another point on that front. When Lindholm starts making plays and having his wingers fail to finish those plays, that's the time when you need to look at elevating him to another line. The intention seems to be to get him to "NHL speed" at even strength before giving him more minutes there. He is being featured heavily on the powerplay despite an obvious lack of evidence to justify that position other than pedigree.

When a player is sticking out for a good reason, it's not hard to notice. When the time comes that Lindholm is earning his icetime and isn't getting it, it's a fair discussion. At this point that's not happening and it's not really exceptionally strange considering the circumstances. This is his training camp and preseason, but the bullets are live and the competition is far more serious.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can see where you're thinking, but I have to argue another point on that front. When Lindholm starts making plays and having his wingers fail to finish those plays, that's the time when you need to look at elevating him to another line. The intention seems to be to get him to "NHL speed" at even strength before giving him more minutes there. He is being featured heavily on the powerplay despite an obvious lack of evidence to justify that position other than pedigree.

When a player is sticking out for a good reason, it's not hard to notice. When the time comes that Lindholm is earning his icetime and isn't getting it, it's a fair discussion. At this point that's not happening and it's not really exceptionally strange considering the circumstances. This is his training camp and preseason, but the bullets are live and the competition is far more serious.

yep..well said. And if after a number of games, he's not showing progression, then a valid consideration should be made to send him to Sweden/AHL.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but sending him to Brynas does not burn a year off his ELC. Sending him to Charlotte does. Yes?

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
well it is only three games. Maybe he wants the team to feel it out.

I like Lindholm but I think he's gonna go back down. He needs time on the ice after not playing much in training camp.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Wasn't it 2? The first vs. the Flyers and the first vs. the Red Wings? Regardless, I feel like the a tweak was warranted.

I literally just edited it. I forgot about the Philly goal. Believe me, I'd rather see Lindholm in Nash's spot.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Maybe not. Per Chip:

why is Ruutu an extra? if he's still hurting, he should still be sitting. I sincerely hope they can find some NHLers and send a couple of these guys to Charlotte where they belong. eh, we'll see what comes of the geniuses running the show upstairs and on the bench but there should come a time that the chances run out before it's too late.

Nash, the certified 3rd line center of the Carolina Hurricanes is representative of the problem with this team. Christ.

JR is bound and determined to keep Lindholm here come hell or high water and that was very clear right from draft day.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think that an important thing to remember, comparatively to last season, is that we're back to the 82 game schedule. It feels odd considering how compressed last season was, and the fact that the games were almost mathematically doubly important, but we shouldn't be swinging this bipolar in a regular length season. Especially when we have gotten 3 points in 3 games. There are some other teams that would envy that start. We're not in a hurry.

Yes, yes traditional wisdom being that points in October are equal to points in April..... I'm just saying let's give it a bit more time to settle into a real roster before we start to backseat drive this thing too much. Lindholm will slot where his talent dictates. I'm comfortable with that being as far as it goes right now.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Wanted to add a couple of thoughts regarding the Lindholm/Monahan picks. First and foremost, the experts were widely split on Monahan's offensive capabilities. What they were not split on was his defensive acumen.

(From Hockey's Future)
Monahan assumed the captain's role for Ottawa in his third season. With several veterans gone, the 67's slid to the bottom of the OHL, winning just 16 games in and finishing last in the East Division. Monahan led Ottawa with 78 points; scoring 31 goals and 47 assists in 58 games and had 24 penalty minutes.

Note that 67's team was downright horrible and more than once I read that it was even a bigger feat given that he was likely the focus of opponents defensive game planning. Here's another take on his skillset:

(Bleacher Report)
Of all the top prospects who could go in the top 10, Monahan is the best two-way forward. Monahan has tremendous vision, a lethal shot and offensive skills. In addition to his offensive proficiency, Monahan also has strengths on the defensive side of the puck.

The key point is that "two-way" doesn't mean offensively challenged. He was projected to be solid with offensive upside. Add to that he was a bit older when drafted so he was a bit more physically developed.

Compare that to Elias's clippings:

(Bleacher Report)
Lindholm possesses excellent speed and quickness, but his biggest strength is his vision. A creative player who is patient with the puck, Lindholm projects to be a playmaker rather than a sniper. He has a decent shot, but it needs work if he is going to score at the next level.

(Hockey Prospect)
Offensively, Lindholm is a very skilled playmaker. He sees the ice extremely well, and seems to be very aware of everything around him. He is very patient and allows the play to develop before he makes a play with the puck, and he is able to do so because of his good stickhandling abilities and his quickness out in open ice. In terms of his passing ability, he can make tape to tape saucer passes in traffic if necessary, or quickly send a backhand pass to a teammate in the slot from behind the net through a few sticks. He really makes his linemates look better because he is able to find them anywhere out on the ice and give them a chance to score.
(Hockey Prospect)...again
Defensively, Lindholm is a very polished player without the puck. Not only does he play with a lot of intensity, but he also possesses a high level of hockey sense. He seems to be able to pick off passes easily as he puts himself in good position, and anticipates the play quite well. He will block shots fearlessly, and displays his high level of competitiveness again and again during battles for loose pucks.

Seems to me that these guys are almost the same player - Monahan's a little bigger, Elias is faster. Monahan's got a little better shot, Elias is a better playmaker. Both seem to be highly regarded defensively.

My take always was that either of these guys would be a great pick, and while young, both probably could jump into the NHL this year. The key difference is that Lindholm got hurt this summer during camp and Monahan didn't. That meant he missed 3-4 weeks of training and development that was critical. He's getting eased in to the system and to game speed. From what I've seen he's improved every game. He's gonna be fine and likely will take Nash's role in short order. In the tiny sample size that I saw on Tuesday, those shifts he played on the 3rd line late in the game testified to very good things to come.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I'm not seeing the reason for being down on Lindholm. The kid has been pretty slick taking pucks away from the opposition on the forecheck, and moving the puck on offense.

The first few games of the season are serving as his training camp, but from what I've seen, he's going to be more than fine. Especially when those turnovers he generates can lead to a pass to someone other than Brett Sutter.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Monahan is bigger, stronger, more fluid. A more graceful young staal. He isn't super fast, but is playing both ways. Lindholm hustles much more, is quicker, smarter, reads plays more aggressively. I think he's more skilled with the puck and his skating. Monahan shoots better, lindholm passes better. Monahan has the better pro body right now. I think lindholm has the higher upside, but monahan is more likely to reach his. Neither are bad choices, and I don't think monahan is really a step ahead. They need him to play, he has the body and is smart enough. Lindholm doesn't have the body yet. The flashes lindholm has shown are at a quicker, higher level. He spins and moves the puck faster than his body can move and almost falls over. He has a quicker mind. You can't go wrong with either at this point, and I was all for monahan. I think the fact he's so similar in some ways to a staal, that lindholm added something we don't have as much is the reason we took him. That euro skill level and playmaking this team lacks. Monahan wasn't moving a staal anytime soon, and they like lindholms versatility.

I think this sums it up pretty well. We've had a hell of a time finding someone to play with Skinner, and it doesn't look like it'll work with either Staal (though there were stretches that he played well with Jordan). Lindholm is the centerman they want for Skinner, he brings a different game than either Staal, one that's based more in skill and a pass-first mindset. I don't think drafting Monahan and putting him in the 3C slot would have solved any of our chemistry issues. My bet is that Lindholm hasn't healed enough form his injuries yet to take on more minutes with Skinner at ES. Moving him to center this game is a good indication he's getting healthier, and they're easing him up into the 3C role. Once he and Ruutu are good to go, I'm assuming we'll see something like this:

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Gerbe-Staal-Ruutu
Skinner-Lindholm-Dvorak
Bowman-Nash-Dwyer

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I think that we can conclusively say that a handful of games on the 4th line will shoehorn Lindholm into that position forever.

If he is stuck on the 4th line for the rest of his career, that's not the Hurricanes' or Muller's fault. That has to do with Lindholm's own ineptitude.

Also:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->