Carolina Hurricanes looking for big contributions from several prospects

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
3m for a 60 point scorer is quite the bargain. Oh yeah, he was also never injured....
60 points? He had 46 two years ago and was on pace for 43 last year even with including his production with the Penguins--he's scored 60 points exactly once. Don't let one hat trick against this joke of a team fool you.

I think the constant crying over mediocre players like Jokinen really distracts away from the much bigger issue of this team's failure to draft and develop. We are at the friggin cap and the big deal is that a player who was on our third line most of last year and was next to invisible the year before is not getting paid $2M? Does anyone honestly believe that we would be a good team with Jokinen? Who are we going to be moaning about next year, Nathan Gerbe not being re-signed? We can't spend our way out of this problem.

Last edited:

bluedevil58*

People get paid a lot more than 3M for that kind of production. This is going to go down as one of the worst trades in franchise history. We got nothing out of it.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

People get paid a lot more than 3M for that kind of production. This is going to go down as one of the worst trades in franchise history. We got nothing out of it.
You do know that Jokinen cleared waivers a week before, right? Nobody wanted him for free with the cap coming down. He would have been bought out in the offseason. Did you see all the players just as good, if not better than Jokinen, that got bought out with their teams paying even a bigger share of their salary to play elsewhere?

Jokinen had 37 points in 90 games under Muller. They weren't getting 65-point production out of him and weren't going to. Not really sure what point totals under a different coach four years ago have to do with anything.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I said nothing about Muller coaching Seidenberg ... I'm talking about the organization's ability to let good players go and then regret it!

Well whoopty-freaking-doo. Every team lets good players go and then regret it. It's the reality of a salary capped NHL, a player simply not fitting into a system, and/or simply valuing somebody else higher than what you have in hand. You don't think Pittsburgh regretted letting Jagr go? Boston fans don't sometimes get a little heartburn over seeing Kessel walk? Just about every team can identify players that they let go and ultimately regretted it a little. Jokinen's achievements as a Cane cannot go understated, especially in the 2009 playoffs. But again - he was NOT performing last year, was a detriment to the lines he was put on, and when he was put on waivers nobody, I repeat NOBODY tried to pick him up. 29 other GMs saw no value whatsoever in Jussi Jokinen. It took Rutherford paying Pittsburgh to take him to get any sort of movement. That isn't a player that's held in high regard throughout the League. If you think otherwise, I don't know what else to say.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Plus, the pining of Seidenberg is based off the idea that he played as well here as he is in Boston.

He didn't. And chances are, he's playing the same inconsistent game he played here, but in Boston, has Chara as a partner to diminish those inconsistencies.

Mr America

Sep 19, 2010
www.hockeyfights.com
60 points? He had 46 two years ago and was on pace for 43 last year even with including his production with the Penguins--he's scored 60 points exactly once. Don't let one hat trick against this joke of a team fool you.

I think the constant crying over mediocre players like Jokinen really distracts away from the much bigger issue of this team's failure to draft and develop. We are at the friggin cap and the big deal is that a player who was on our third line most of last year and was next to invisible the year before is not getting paid $2M? Does anyone honestly believe that we would be a good team with Jokinen? Who are we going to be moaning about next year, Nathan Gerbe not being re-signed? We can't spend our way out of this problem.

Not sure if we're still talking hockey here or metaphorically about our country? :D

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
This is a prospect thread, right? Anyways, Sean Monahan is ripping it up.:sarcasm:

Yeah Monahan is playing great. Risto and Nich are both getting lots of minutes. I really wonder what our scouts saw in Lindholm. Maybe we'll never know since we want to stuff a "playmaker" on the 4th line till its time to return to Sweden. If we wanted a 3rd,4th line player why not draft Monahan who seemed to have more of a 2 way game or better why not draft a hulking winger who could fit on any line? Anyway I enjoy reading the Calgary and Dallas boxscores and imagine what could have been.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Yeah Monahan is playing great. Risto and Nich are both getting lots of minutes. I really wonder what our scouts saw in Lindholm. Maybe we'll never know since we want to stuff a "playmaker" on the 4th line till its time to return to Sweden. If we wanted a 3rd,4th line player why not draft Monahan who seemed to have more of a 2 way game or better why not draft a hulking winger who could fit on any line? Anyway I enjoy reading the Calgary and Dallas boxscores and imagine what could have been.
Great parody post A++ would read again

seriously nichushkin has zero points with one shot on goal so far and played 12 minutes last game you must be having a lot of fun reading his boxscores

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Great parody post A++ would read again

seriously nichushkin has zero points with one shot on goal so far and played 12 minutes last game you must be having a lot of fun reading his boxscores

12>9

Both Lindholm and Nich haven't been lighting up the score sheet that is true but Nich is getting almost twice as many minutes a game. 16 to Lindolm's 8 for October.

Obviously Dallas feels he deserves these minutes or at the very least are willing to show confidence in a young player, while Lindolm deserves to be on the 4th line getting less than 10 a game. That or perhaps Lindholm is still recovering from his latest boo boo.

I understand you must blindly support our players no matter what, and this is not an attack on Lindholm, more on our team's continued inability to draft and develop effectively.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
"My preference not taking into consideration where we pick.

Gonna tier this.

Nathan Mackinnon (Clear number 1 imo)

Alexander Barkov

Jonathan Drouin (I rate Barkov ahead due to size, something I'd like us to start drafting, but skillset puts him at 3 for me)
Seth Jones (Even though its a glaring need I just hate taking a D this early)
Valeri Nichushkin (Russian question marks)

Elias Lindholm (More upside than Monahan)
Sean Monahan (Meh. Better than D, see comments from Jones)

Nikita Zadorov (Bigger more aggressive than Nurse)"

huh i wonder who posted that. lindholm ahead of monahan, ristolainen not even mentioned.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
"Lindholm and Monahan are great" - you back in june, but now that lindholm is not getting ice time through three games he's a bad pick and our scouts are clueless for recommending him

Too soon to call it a bad pick. Just saying I wonder what our staff saw then and thinks now. The same staff that saw a player better than Monahan and Nich in June think he should play on the 4th line and get limited PP time for 9 minutes a game. Other organizations think Monahan and Nich deserve 15+ a game with their top lines. It's interesting to compare similar players and how organizations think they should be developed.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not to mention their positional difference and the depth defense between the two.

In order for Lindholm to be getting 16 minutes a game, he'd need to take time from Eric or Jordan. Has he played well enough to earn that right?

Hell no.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Too soon to call it a bad pick. Just saying I wonder what our staff saw then and thinks now. The same staff that saw a player better than Monahan and Nich in June think he should play on the 4th line and get limited PP time for 9 minutes a game. Other organizations think Monahan and Nich deserve 15+ a game with their top lines. It's interesting to compare similar players and how organizations think they should be developed.
i can't even figure out what is going on in this post. are you saying a player shouldn't be drafted unless he can immediately play 15 minutes a game at the nhl level? and it's not the scouts or management who determine how much ice time a player gets at the nhl level.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
"My preference not taking into consideration where we pick.

Gonna tier this.

Nathan Mackinnon (Clear number 1 imo)

Alexander Barkov

Jonathan Drouin (I rate Barkov ahead due to size, something I'd like us to start drafting, but skillset puts him at 3 for me)
Seth Jones (Even though its a glaring need I just hate taking a D this early)
Valeri Nichushkin (Russian question marks)

Elias Lindholm (More upside than Monahan)
Sean Monahan (Meh. Better than D, see comments from Jones)

Nikita Zadorov (Bigger more aggressive than Nurse)"

huh i wonder who posted that. lindholm ahead of monahan, ristolainen not even mentioned.

Pretty much how it played out wouldn't you say? Even called the drop in Jones. I did think Lindholm has more offensive upside than Monahan but now that Monahan has more points than Lindolm will probably see all year that is questionable. I would hope the professionals would have been able to catch that.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So after 3 games into their respective careers, you can safely say that Monahan has more offensive upside than Lindholm.

Jesus Christ...

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Not to mention their positional difference and the depth defense between the two.

In order for Lindholm to be getting 16 minutes a game, he'd need to take time from Eric or Jordan. Has he played well enough to earn that right?

Hell no.

That is part of my point. If you wanted a 3rd/4th line grind center take Monahan, you wanted a winger take the winger or convert Lindholm. Otherwise let him go back Sweden and get actual top line minutes.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Pretty much how it played out wouldn't you say? Even called the drop in Jones. I did think Lindholm has more offensive upside than Monahan but now that Monahan has more points than Lindolm will probably see all year that is questionable. I would hope the professionals would have been able to catch that.
"I thought Lindholm had more offensive upside but now that Monahan has more points through their first three games I was wrong our scouts are bad" you can't make this stuff up

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
So after 3 games into their respective careers, you can safely say that Monahan has more offensive upside than Lindholm.

Jesus Christ...

I can safely say that Monahan has surprised everyone with the offense he has shown and Calgary is very happy with their pick. Lindholm, sure it's too soon to evaluate in part because he can't get minutes. Again, the point of this, minutes. Further, I never think its too soon to evaluate players or this board would be a very boring place.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That is part of my point. If you wanted a 3rd/4th line grind center take Monahan, you wanted a winger take the winger or convert Lindholm. Otherwise let him go back Sweden and get actual top line minutes.

...You do realize drafting a 3rd/4th line grinding center with the 5th overall pick is insane, right? Especially in a draft as deep as this past one.

And just like your "offensive upside" comment, claiming Monahan as a 3rd/4th line grinder is premature...to say the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad