News Article: Carolina hockey - the home of Cheap, Locker Room Cancers

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Just ran into this mess of a video on YouTube. Apparently it was posted 2 weeks ago, and not at the beginning of the season like you would have thought.

Apparently, we are a cheap organization who looks to cut costs at all times at the expense of home grown talent. And yes, the conclusion for this is the year that TDA and Freddie have had vs the year that Dougie and Ned have had.....

Enjoy

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Was it Keith Jones who called Carolina the Island of Misfit Toys on TV back in the day? We've always sort of had that reputation and I kinda think its awesome. I didn't know andersen had ever been considered a locker room problem though

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Oh, and then this chick goes on to cite Tortorella as to why Domi is a cancer.

Her intended cherry on top of her argument is a quote by Tortorella. You can't make this crap up.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
On any given day of the week and depending on the most recent result, much worse has been said by the fans here.

Even without that, the topic of whether we are cheap has been debated even amongst our fans for years since Dundon took over. And plenty of people have expressed they don't love how we deal with players and staff now and there were certainly many that were upset when TDA was brought in and when some players and others were let go. Granted, I'm not sure why we give a damn about some random video.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
On any given day of the week and depending on the most recent result, much worse has been said by the fans here.

Even without that, the topic of whether we are cheap has been debated even amongst our fans for years since Dundon took over. And plenty of people have expressed they don't love how we deal with players and staff now and there were certainly many that were upset when TDA was brought in and when some players and others were let go. Granted, I'm not sure why we give a damn about some random video.
Yes even people on here say he is cheap and some even are serious. The truth is he spends to the cap every year he has owned the team. Maybe not the way most people would like but his teams have made the playoffs every year

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yes even people on here say he is cheap and some even are serious. The truth is he spends to the cap every year he has owned the team. Maybe not the way most people would like but his teams have made the playoffs every year
Yeah, I was critical this past offseason, but at the day, even though we let Dougie walk and made the trades that we did, we still ended up spending to the cap this year. And combined with the massive payment we made to pry Kotkaniemi out of Montreal, I am not sure that it is at all fair to say that we are a cheap team. And as for the locker room cancer aspect... meh, that whole thing is overblown if you ask me.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Yeah, I was critical this past offseason, but at the day, even though we let Dougie walk and made the trades that we did, we still ended up spending to the cap this year. And combined with the massive payment we made to pry Kotkaniemi out of Montreal, I am not sure that it is at all fair to say that we are a cheap team. And as for the locker room cancer aspect... meh, that whole thing is overblown if you ask me.
Current ownership is not cheap. Previous owner was.

Any team with Rod as Coach will not have locker room cancers.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
We're not cheap under Tom. We just don't value the same things as traditional hockey men do and especially not at the traditional hockey men prices.

As for the whole island of misfit toys thing, I mean... Yeah. That also lets us keep together a core group much more easily. The traditional hockey man mindset would have had us re sign Hamilton and Ferland to massive contracts utterly decimating our depth to hold on to guys that we just simply never would value the same way other teams do. It's similar to what the Patriots and Rays do in that it goes against the traditional ideas on how to build a team, but it's worked for them for so long that people no longer question it. We're not at that point yet, probably won't be for a good 5 more years honestly, but the early returns have been pretty f***ing good.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Seller could have used him, too, last night. Oh, well.
TML picked Travis Dermott at 34OA in 2015. What do we know what they would have used the pick on.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Posted this a couple years ago...

The Differences Between Being Cheap and Frugal

Let’s get right down to the root of things. While we all have our own perceptions of what being cheap and frugal looks like, what is the actual definition of these two words? According to Dictionary.com “cheap” in the context we’re discussing means “stingy or miserly,” while “frugal” means “economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful.”

Basically, when someone is cheap or frugal, they try to keep their spending on the lower side. However, the motivations behind that goal are usually a bit different. Those who are frugal, tend to strive towards getting as much value as possible out of their money. They focus on spending their money on the things that matter to them. Generally, those who are frugal care about the value of their purchases, and those who are cheap focus more on the cost. While those who are cheap try to always get the lowest price on things they purchase, those who are frugal are willing to make exceptions for purchases that are important to them. In many cases, frugality only affects the party making the purchases, not those around them, which is why those who are viewed as cheap can sometimes rub friends and family the wrong way with their spending habits. For example, if you never pitch in for a tip when ordering food with friends and as a result, they need to put in more money towards the tip, you may start to get a reputation for being cheap. But, if you simply choose to order water instead of a pricey cocktail at a restaurant, no harm is done to others and chances are you’ll be viewed as frugal.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
3.5 but who is counting
Upon further review (and I'm counting), cost was $3.8M. I remembered the cap hit and was thinking at his age, there was no cost saving. Didn't realize the salary was front loaded.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
On Domi - from what I hear, players like him and he is a good teammate. One of the first to congratulate a teammate or welcome them to the org.

I could have told you Torts and Domi would not be a good fit. Domi is a creative play maker who can move the puck. Torts is a dump and grind old school coach. He use to have skilled player constantly blocking shots when he was in the Ranger's coach and they always ended up hurt and beat up at the end of the season. Torts is also a "this is my system or the highway" type of coach and never would have one on one meetings with players. That is not going to work with the new generation.

As a Ranger's fan, I hated Torts as a coach. As blue jackets he was trying to make Laine into a great 2 way player and having him focus on carrying the puck up and D. Yes, Laine could work on D but when you have Rosi and Domi, have them carry the puck up the ice.

As a coach, you have to create a system that accentuates your players strengths and diminishes their weaknesses. Yo can have a system but you need to eventually build a squad to match that and your system also has evolve from what players skills are to eventually the system you want.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad