Value of: Carolina Goalies

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
With the addition of Curtis Mcelhinny to the Hurricanes. You can make the case (If Darling plays like he did in the pre-season) that they have 2 Fringe starting caliber goaltenders (Curtis Mack, Mrasek) and 1 solid starter (Darling). I don't see Carolina keeping 3 goaltenders the entire season (hell even after October). One of these 3 is getting shipped off.

Firstly: If your Carolina who do you move? Darling and his contract, take the risk of Mrasek and Mack? OR Move Mack/Mrasek and trust Darling to play like he did in Pre-Season

Secondly: What can Carolina realistically get from these guys? I'd see a 4th or 5th rounder at best for Mrasek or Mack. A 2nd or 3rd at best for Darling

Thirdly: Who would trade for one of these guys? Philly, Pittsburgh, Florida, Calgary, Vancouver, Islanders, Edmonton

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Barring injury it’s highly unlikely a team deals for one of the Carolina goalies. Mrazek has enough of a track record that teams already have an impression of him. Mack is what he is. Veteran backup.

As for Darling he has term and given his struggles last season, no chance he gets moved unless the Canes retain.

Of the teams you listed, doubtful any of them make that move.

Edmonton, they have to know what they have in Talbot. He’s UFA at year end. Either they commit term to him or walk away.

Calgary, they are grooming young guys so barring injury they really don’t have a need.

Florida, they have Reiner who can carry a load until Lu returns.

I don’t see the Isles, Canucks, interested. Their guys have their own questions.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
McElhinney was an elite backup last season but he’s never been a starter in his decade long career.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They won’t “deal” any of them I suspect. They’d have to waive Mac or Mrazek and I don’t think anyone is touching Darling before he puts up a big full season. Maybe next summer if that happened, but if he did it the Canes would just keep him.

Like others are saying, they’ll just keep the three of them until a pecking order is clearly established.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
None of those guys have any value yet. McBackup would get claimed by another team on waivers (the Leafs would certainly take him back for the Marlies at a minimum) and might be worth a late pick but Darling has a whole lot of shit to atone for and Mrazek is the definition of mediocre. A few good games doesn't make trash goalies worth assets.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Darling is a solid starter? Since when?

He said you could make a case "If he plays like he did in the pre-season."

That's still a big IF and likely won't happen for a sustained period, but that was the premise of the discussion. It's hypothetical, as are most discussions on the trade board.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Gotta think Darling has negative value with that contract. Probably will have to add a 2nd to move him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Darling spent the summer losing 30 lbs and on a diet, exercise, flexibility regimen with the Canes trainer in Raleigh. He's looked much better in pre-season. I'll be shocked if the Canes don't give him some games after his injury to see if all that work paid off or not. That's why I think they'll just keep 3 guys for a while.

The good news is that right now, there's no rush to hurry him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->