News Article: Carolina GM talked today ..mentions Zadina and more

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I take back what I said about being positive that Bergevin isn't picking Tkachuk. I can also see us trying him at center on opening night.

1) Pick Tkachuk
2) Spend all summer saying how he's a center that we desperately need, franchise player
3) Belail goes nuts, buys his jersey, makes bets about how he will be the greatest center since Beliveau
4) Opening night, Tkachuk starts as 1st line C
5) 10 minutes into the game, he's playing LW on the 4th line
6) Benn skates into Price and injures him

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

image.0.png

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Why trade down if Kotkaniemi is who you are targeting? Just take him, don't be an idiot and risk losing him. You should only trade down if the group of players at your pick are inseparable.
Well lets say, Habs would be happy with one of zadina, Thachuk or Kotkaniemi.

So trade down to 5 and you are guaranteed one of them which you could of just taken at 3 plus retain an asset such as another 2nd +

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Why trade down if Kotkaniemi is who you are targeting? Just take him, don't be an idiot and risk losing him. You should only trade down if the group of players at your pick are inseparable.

If you feel your backup will be there, and you get an offer you can't refuse, you go for it imo. But that's risky and takes being creative and I don't see the Habs doing that. Let's say that NYR wants Zadina badly and offers you 9th, 26th or 28th and 39th.

So you hope Kotkaniemi is there at 9th but if not say you have a good feeling that Dobson will be there.

So you have either,

Kotkaniemi at 3rd

or

Dobson at 9th, Thomas or Dellandrea and say O'Brien or Kaut.

If 1 and 2 go as expected and if NYR told you they wanted Zadina, that leaves 5 players being picked so out of Kotkaniemi, Dobson, Boqvist, Hughes, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Bouchard, so you would get to chose between 1 of 2 remaining unless someone else is picked.

Now if they think Kotkaniemi is going to be the best of the bunch or the offer to move down isn't good enough, you just take your guy at 3. But with what I assume is a really close group between 3 and 10 or so you could increase you odds of finding good players by adding some serious value while still having 4 2nd round picks in addition to the 2 extra picks you get.

But it's all a moot point, MB picks Tkachuk cause it's MB.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I think if he picked Tkachuk I couldn’t even be mad....you know the feeling when you’re so frustrated the only thing you can do to stop from literally losing it and going crazy is to laugh....that’s where I am..

If the Habs do take Brady, the rest of the Habs better learn how to get tougher......or practice how to turttle ....if he comes off as the meaner than his brother..there is goona be lots of heated moments....Hopefully i dont have to watch the super fast Habs getting beat up and pumbled like the small speedy smurfs did with Gauthier...

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Other than liking to be pessimistic and negative, there is no reason to believe we will pick Tkachuk.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Other than liking to be pessimistic and negative, there is no reason to believe we will pick Tkachuk.

I don’t think it will happen....I just dread the thought of it happening and have Murphy’s law branded into my brain with this management

Reactions: Peanut

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If you feel your backup will be there, and you get an offer you can't refuse, you go for it imo. But that's risky and takes being creative and I don't see the Habs doing that. Let's say that NYR wants Zadina badly and offers you 9th, 26th or 28th and 39th.

So you hope Kotkaniemi is there at 9th but if not say you have a good feeling that Dobson will be there.

No way we trade down that far. Good chance Kotka is taken before that.

Based on reports, Detroit seems interested in kotkaniemi.
I dont think theres been any links between kotka and ottawa/arizona.

So the lowest we should go is 6th (Detroit). We can trade down with Detroit, gain more assets and have an agreement that they don't take Kotkaniemi 3rd overall.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he's slated to go top 5 or so it appears, so there is certainly reason to believe he will be picked.

No way we trade down that far. Good chance Kotka is taken before that.

Based on reports, Detroit seems interested in kotkaniemi.
I dont think theres been any links between kotka and ottawa/arizona.

So the lowest we should go is 6th (Detroit). We can trade down with Detroit, gain more assets and have an agreement that they don't take Kotkaniemi 3rd overall.

I don't see the Habs moving down, they would need to get creative and take a big risk so just don't see it happening. My point is if you want Kotkaniemi but feel that he might be there at 9th but if not that say Dobson would be and you got Dellandrea and O'Brien. So if you lost out on Kotkaniemi but ended up with Dobson/Dellandrea/O'Brien and then had 4 2nd round picks to add depth or try and move up, it doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. But who knows what a team would pay to move up 6 spots and again I just don't see MB doing it.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
he's slated to go top 5 or so it appears, so there is certainly reason to believe he will be picked.

No because there would be a much better winger available (zadina).

Why would the management pick Tkachuk over Zadina? What does Tkachuk over Zadina? Pretty much nothing. Both are character guys, but Zadina is much more skilled.

The only reason Ive read for taking tkachuk is "we have a horrible gm so that means we will pick tkachuk", which is a terrible argument.

Furthermore, at the combine the management said they were going to pick a guy who will help them longterm. Not the guy who can play and help the team right now. That eliminates both Zadina and Tkachuk.

Bergevin talked about a guy being of late birth and going in the top 5 when asked about the lack of center available at 3rd overall. He was obviously taking about Kotkaniemi. Tkachuk, on the other hand, is the oldest player in the draft, so another reason to believe we wouldnt pick him.

So yea other than wanting to be negative there is no reason to think we will pick tkachuk.

butch_sb

Sep 18, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
Not sure if I should’ve created a new post for this but the last two pages(maybe I was jumping around from thread to thread) got me out actually posting. I’ve been on the boards for 16 years and reading every single day. There are some guys on here that I truly respect the opinion of like Montreal and WTK to name a couple but the negativity and bitching on this forum as gone to a all new level. Some of you had your opinion on Tkachuk and expressed it and that’s fine and respectable but the cults that follow some of you and want to slash their wrists if we pick Tkachuk is just plain annoying.

The last 16 years as proven that Tkachuk probably will be better than (pick your favourite player in the draft minus Dahlin) or maybe not and that’s fine. The draft is all about projections and maybe someone knows something we don’t or you don’t. Nobody drafted guys like Marchessault in the first round either and he became a 30 goal scorer. Kuznetsov might win the Conn Smythe and he was a late first rounder.

Maybe you don’t trust the management and that’s fine too but I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and learn from past experiences (ie. everybody that was on suicide watch when we didn’t draft Grigorenko or when we picked Price).

Last edited by a moderator:

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
Did Bustina even do the combine? Can't find his name anywhere on the charts.
Dahlin isn't anywhere on the charts either. Casey Mittlestadt couldn't even do one pull-up last year and only did 1 BP. I suggest you do some more research on what the combine is all about before coming on HF and being negative towards someone who has proven much more then you ever will.;)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
First of all, I doubt that this team could be any more offensive than it is already. I am offended by most of the things they do.

Bergevin will go with the type of players who cause offense rather than create it and to add speed he will stock the vending machines with Red Bull and Jolt Cola. This is going to be the mother of all patch jobs as we wait and see how long Bergevin can keep from getting fired.

No offense but ... no offence.

Reactions: Laurentide

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
It;'s the team results for sure that brings down the board...if we was the Penguins we'd be much happier here without doubt...we have been failed by owners and management ...seriously for example, would Mario Lemieux put up with the crap us Habs fan have had to witness for 25 years ...No he'd be embarrassed as an owner.....he got pride and wants to win ,and makes sure it happens..

Last edited by a moderator:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Sens fans want there owner gone...but crazy as this sounds i would take him as owner in Montreal.......he really does want to win..gets genuine mad when they don't...he got his small market club to the CUP FINALS ....more than can be said for this group in Montreal, and the ones before it ....

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Sens fans want there owner gone...but crazy as this sounds i would take him as owner in Montreal.......he really does want to win..gets genuine mad when they don't...he got his small market club to the CUP FINALS ....more than can be said for this group in Montreal, and the ones before it ....
He wants to win on a budget. Impossible. His ambitions aren't driven by a desire to win, they're because if they don't go deep in the playoffs he loses money. Hence the terrible moves the Sens make year after year.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
He wants to win on a budget. Impossible. His ambitions aren't driven by a desire to win, they're because if they don't go deep in the playoffs he loses money. Hence the terrible moves the Sens make year after year.

Give him the Habs 90 million a year profits...Eugene would gladly spend the cap every year in Montreal...and i bet we'd actually be in Stanley Cup finals....i really do believe that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad