News Article: Carolina GM talked today ..mentions Zadina and more

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Hurricanes likely to 'make some changes,' GM says

The top three forwards are Barrie's Andrei Svechnikov, Brady Tkachuk of Boston University and Halifax's Filip Zadina. What makes each of them special?

"Certainly all those players bring different qualities. Tkachuk, we all know his dad (forward Keith Tkachuk) played for me [with the Atlanta Thrashers] when we won that division [in 2006-07]. That family, and he's got a brother playing in Calgary [forward Matthew Tkachuk], you know what they're all about. I think everybody would love to have those type of players. Svechnikov scored 40 goals in 44 games; we talk about goal scoring in our League and we're not a high-scoring team, goals are obviously hard to come by, so you've got to look at that. And Zadina, he's an all-around very talented player that played with one of our draft picks, [forward Martin] Necas, two years ago. He's a guy that we're very familiar with. Those three guys we certainly have to do our homework on."

How much does it matter that Zadina and Necas have been successful linemates for the Czech Republic at international tournaments?
"We've talked about it. … It's a factor. How much of a factor, in time we'll know. You get to know the players because now we can ask our player, and obviously he's only got good things to say about him. At the end of the day players will adapt to who they're playing with, and we're going to continue to just make sure that we get the right player."

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Hurricanes likely to 'make some changes,' GM says

The top three forwards are Barrie's Andrei Svechnikov, Brady Tkachuk of Boston University and Halifax's Filip Zadina. What makes each of them special?

"Certainly all those players bring different qualities. Tkachuk, we all know his dad (forward Keith Tkachuk) played for me [with the Atlanta Thrashers] when we won that division [in 2006-07]. That family, and he's got a brother playing in Calgary [forward Matthew Tkachuk], you know what they're all about. I think everybody would love to have those type of players. Svechnikov scored 40 goals in 44 games; we talk about goal scoring in our League and we're not a high-scoring team, goals are obviously hard to come by, so you've got to look at that. And Zadina, he's an all-around very talented player that played with one of our draft picks, [forward Martin] Necas, two years ago. He's a guy that we're very familiar with. Those three guys we certainly have to do our homework on."

How much does it matter that Zadina and Necas have been successful linemates for the Czech Republic at international tournaments?
"We've talked about it. … It's a factor. How much of a factor, in time we'll know. You get to know the players because now we can ask our player, and obviously he's only got good things to say about him. At the end of the day players will adapt to who they're playing with, and we're going to continue to just make sure that we get the right player."

Well, Waddell's an idiot. I hope he doesn't defer to his scouts and makes the pick on what little knowledge he'll get by "doing his homework" between now and June 22.

Timmins will be ready to pounce if he picks the wrong one of the three.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Carolina speaks heavily about Zadina hence...they are not picking him. "At the end of the day, players will adapt...." So Necas, I know you love Zadina....but Svechnikov is better. Sorry. Don't worry. You'll adapt.

It's interesting because at the lottery day event, Bergevin said he pretty much knew how he had the top 5 ranked. Interesting to hear Waddell said they still have work to do to rank those 3 forwards.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Carolina speaks heavily about Zadina hence...they are not picking him. "At the end of the day, players will adapt...." So Necas, I know you love Zadina....but Svechnikov is better. Sorry. Don't worry. You'll adapt.

If that was the case where they absolutely know they will pick Svech...why even go talk with Necas about Zadina...? would it be better to not bother?

Reactions: Ethan Wiles

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I know it’s taboo to say anything positive on this board but Tkachuk is a lot higher on GMs rankings than most people think. I’d be amazed is he does go top 4 and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he goes 2 it 3. Just saying.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I know it’s taboo to say anything positive on this board but Tkachuk is a lot higher on GMs rankings than most people think. I’d be amazed is he does go top 4 and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he goes 2 it 3. Just saying.
Doesn't mean they are right. Tkachuk will probably be a good 2nd liner that can create space for the more talented players. A team like Buffalo would actually make a lot of sense, he can create space for Eichel, Reinhart, Mittlestat...etc and will compliment them far more effectively. Whereas for the Habs don't have the talent for him imo. Who is he going to create space for? Philipp Danault? Get the more offensively talented player for this offensively lacking team.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

I read yesterday Tkachuck is not 100% going back to University...he said he will leave that decision up to the team who drafts him if they think he is ready or not...

He said he thinks he deserves a shot in camp to make an NHL team this year.

Reactions: shutehinside

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Doesn't mean they are right. Tkachuk will probably be a good 2nd liner that can create space for the more talented players. A team like Buffalo would actually make a lot of sense, he can create space for Eichel, Reinhart, Mittlestat...etc and will compliment them far more effectively. Whereas for the Habs don't have the talent for him imo. Who is he going to create space for? Philipp Danault? Get the more offensively talented player for this offensively lacking team.

Doesn’t mean they’re wrong either. Players like Tkachuk are easy for a team to love. Incredible lineage, known and proven background and they offer a level of certainty in a very uncertain process. Don’t think a lot if not most GMs would rather hit a single than a double than swing for a home run amd strike out. We’ve all seen it time and time again.

Just saying I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go really high especially when he checks off every box for Carolina.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I read yesterday Tkachuck is not 100% going back to University...he said he will leave that decision up to the team who drafts him if they think he is ready or not...

He said he thinks he deserves a shot in camp to make an NHL team this year.

He will have to decide rather quickly if he wants to stay in the NCAA or sign an ELC to try and make it out of camp. Because he can't do both. NCAA is an amateur league and no player with a pro contract can play there. And he wouldn't be able to make it out of camp without a contract. In fact, you can't even participate in a training camp if you don't have a contract.

Reactions: Habaneros

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
He will have to decide rather quickly if he wants to stay in the NCAA or sign an ELC to try and make it out of camp. Because he can't do both. NCAA is an amateur league and no player with a pro contract can play there. And he wouldn't be able to make it out of camp without a contract. In fact, you can't even participate in a training camp if you don't have a contract.

Here is the article i read yesterday...
NHL Scouting Combine, Day Two: Tkachuk aiming to impress

Tkachuk said he'd like to be in the NHL next season but did not rule out returning to Boston University for a second season."I think it's really too early to decide on that yet," he said. "I believe in myself that after a strong summer and working my hardest this summer I deserve the chance to play in a training camp and hopefully make an NHL roster. But at the end of the day it's what the team wants, and if I feel like I'm not ready it's another year to develop. I'm going to wait and see until the draft, have all the options on the table and talk to my family, my advisor and the team and make a decision from there."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad