Proposal: Carolina - Edmonton

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Not getting into an argument over who is better, suffice it to say I wouldn't pay extra to get RNH and his bigger contract. I think he's slightly better but not by enough to make me want to do this deal.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Haven't watched enough of Rask to speak to how he compares to RNH, although seems like general consensus is he's a pretty good player.

As most Oilers fans have said, would rather wait til next year and see how things shake out with other developing players on the Oilers. If the risk is that this deal won't be available in a year, so be it. I think it's the less risky scenario when compared with putting all of our apples in the young player development basket.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
RNH has higher upside to Rask but hes more expensive so if he doesn't reach that level it's a lot of money for not much of an upgrade if at all. As a Canes fan I'm not opposed to it but if I'm trading Rask who I really like I think I target more of an upgrade.

Last edited:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Lots of "quick check of hockeydb" replies in here. I'm not going to trash Rask for the sake of making my own argument, but it'd take a lot of convincing to get me to believe that RNH is not the superior player, in almost all aspects. I do like Rask a lot, particularly on his contract, and if he was more consistent, which he still has the potential to be, I wouldn't even entertain the swap. But give RNH the same opportunity that Rask has had and I think he makes a greater impact on a nightly basis.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Have we finally found a deal between the Oil and Canes that doesn't result in 6 pages of nonsense?!? :handclap:

I think I pull the trigger on this as a Canes fan. Not the biggest RNH fan but I think this would be worth giving a shot.

Of course, as mentioned previously - Oilers only do it for cap reasons. Otherwise stay put (unless we add further).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We need to lock this thread up and frame it ASAP. Pretty much every Carolina/EDM thread ends up being a disaster and both sides saying the other sides player isn't any good, blah, blah, blah.

This one has been rather civil so lock it before it disintegrates. :laugh:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Rask was highly thought of in his draft year, enough to be ranked in the top 10 prospects by most publications, then he got pegged as "slow" and he fell way further down the board than he should've. He's not some plugger who just got lucky, he has legitimate 50-55 point talent. Aside from his rookie season, RNH has never given anybody reason to believe he's signficantly better than that.

As a Canes fan I would do the swap 1-for-1. No need to add anything for either side. Oilers get $2 million savings and lose nothing in production, Canes take a risk that RNH can be a 50+ point guy again playing with better linemates. Seems pretty even to me.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Rask was highly thought of in his draft year, enough to be ranked in the top 10 prospects by most publications, then he got pegged as "slow" and he fell way further down the board than he should've. He's not some plugger who just got lucky, he has legitimate 50-55 point talent. Aside from his rookie season, RNH has never given anybody reason to believe he's signficantly better than that.

As a Canes fan I would do the swap 1-for-1. No need to add anything for either side. Oilers get $2 million savings and lose nothing in production, Canes take a risk that RNH can be a 50+ point guy again playing with better linemates. Seems pretty even to me.

Nuge was neutered by Eakins and Todd has made him be very responsible defensively. Pretty sure Todd said he now wants Nuge to focus more on offemse.
He really played well later in the playoffs but was snakebitten.
He should have a much improved offensive campaign this year.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

A legitimate 50-55 point player that's never even score 50 points....c'mon mannn RNH has score 50+ points 3 times (52, 56 and 56) and during that time played against top comp.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
I'd probably do it in June of 2018. The $2M in cap space will help in keeping other key pieces for the Oilers. I anticipate a bounce back year from RNH, so I'm thinking Canes fans would be happy with the deal in June as well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Can't see the Canes doing this trade. They have (arguably) the better player in Rask, who costs less, and locked up too.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
A legitimate 50-55 point player that's never even score 50 points....

So you're saying a guy that has seasons of 48 and 45 points and is still only 24 couldn't possibly be a 50-point talent? That's like me saying Patrick Laine couldn't possibly be a 40-goal talent because he only scored 36 last year.

Hell, if not for a monthlong pointless streak last season where Rask was just snakebitten he easily would've had 50 points.

And yes, RNH has scored 50 points, but that was 3 seasons ago. Canes would absolutely be gambling that he returned to that form, it's far from an easy assumption that he bounces back at this point.

For the record, I think RNH would be a good fit for the Hurricanes, I'm just saying he's no sure thing either. We would be able to insulate him from defensive matchups and faceoffs where he struggles, and it's not hard to imagine him rediscovering his offense with an Aho or Skinner playing next to him.

Last edited:

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
So you're saying a guy that has seasons of 48 and 45 points and is still only 24 couldn't possibly be a 50-point talent? That's like me saying Patrick Laine couldn't possibly be a 40-goal talent because he only scored 36 last year.

Hell, if not for a monthlong pointless streak last season where Rask was just snakebitten he easily would've had 50 points.

And yes, RNH has scored 50 points, but that was 3 seasons ago. Canes would absolutely be gambling that he returned to that form, it's far from an easy assumption that he bounces back at this point.

For the record, I think RNH would be a good fit for the Hurricanes, I'm just saying he's no sure thing either. We would be able to insulate him from defensive matchups and faceoffs where he struggles, and it's not hard to imagine him rediscovering his offense with an Aho or Skinner playing next to him.

RNH is better by a mile. They are the same age and Nuge plays the tough match ups.
No comparison

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

Nuge was on pace for 50 just 2 seasons ago when he had 34 points in 55 games. he also had 56 points 2 years in a row before that and 52 points in just 62 games his rookie season. he's hardly a big gamble at 24 and will likely get 50+ again this season.

gambling is part of hockey....the Oilers are gambling that Ryan Strome can get to 50 points again, but alas, GM's have to look out for #1 too, and themselves so rather than gamble a lot, it seems like they only make a few changes here and there to appease the owner and try to convince the fans that they can win with only a few changes and only need to make the playoffs to get a chance to win it all. hence the reason for the lack of a lot of player movement.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Pretty reasonable deal, would want a bit higher of a draft pick but not a deal breaker.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pretty reasonable deal, would want a bit higher of a draft pick but not a deal breaker.

Agreed. That said I suspect that Nuge has a big year this season which could change things. It sucks but that $2 million AAV maybe the difference between re-signing Maroon or watching him walk.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Agreed. That said I suspect that Nuge has a big year this season which could change things. It sucks but that $2 million AAV maybe the difference between re-signing Maroon or watching him walk.

My thoughts exactly, it's about the money savings. Need to be astute on these things now, even though we can probably keep Nuge another year. Every million or two we can save here and there is crucial going forward.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

That, and we're a breakout season from Nurse, Benning, Caggiula or Slepyshev from being in cap trouble. Which I guess is a decent problem to have.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
So then is Draisaitl on McDavid's wing only like a PP thing then? If they are dead set on keeping LD at 2C, then either RNH would have to be 3C by default, or play wing himself. Or am I missing something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->