Speculation: Carolina/Detroit

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Hey people-Wings' fan here looking for some input. I stand to be corrected of course, but from what I have read on various sites, the Canes are looking for some top 6 help and would be open to moving one of their dmen for the right deal.

So what I am looking for his how Carolina fans rank the following dmen and what Red Wing forward(s) they might want in return.

Since I rarely see the Hurricanes play, I have listed the players alphabetically.

Faulk
Fleury
Hanifin
Murphy
Pesce
Slavin

Thank you in advance for the input.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Hey people-Wings' fan here looking for some input. I stand to be corrected of course, but from what I have read on various sites, the Canes are looking for some top 6 help and would be open to moving one of their dmen for the right deal.

So what I am looking for his how Carolina fans rank the following dmen and what Red Wing forward(s) they might want in return.

Since I rarely see the Hurricanes play, I have listed the players alphabetically.

Faulk
Fleury
Hanifin
Murphy
Pesce
Slavin

Thank you in advance for the input.

I'd say Murphy is worth one of your top nine.

The others are untouchable.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm not sure if our teams make great trading partners at this stage. It seems like any trade to improve the defense via Carolina would likely be really expensive for Detroit in ways that wouldn't really make sense for them. You guys have some fantastic young forwards, but they all seem to be part of what Detroit is building on as opposed to what they're moving away from. It feels like Detroit is on the precipice of committing to a rebuild/reload like the one we started a few years ago and it would be more prudent to stay the course with the young forwards and not try to make a bottom third team a middle of the road team to prolong the lean times. That isn't to say that Carolina is light years ahead of Detroit like a homer, but Carolina brass honestly views themselves as being really close to having a playoff competitive squad. Detroit has an odd mixture of veterans that are in the later stages (Zetterberg, Vanek, Nielsen), players who currently reside at their lowest value (Abdelkader, Helm, Sheahan), and young forwards who are seemingly essential to the rebuild (Larkin, Mantha, Nyquist, Tatar). That seemingly only leaves a few guys like Tyler Bertuzzi and Athanasiou as assets that would make sense for either party. I'm not sure that Carolina feels overly enthusiastic about either of those names if they're even names that Detroit would want to discuss.

Outside of that issue, the valuation becomes a problem even if a few of those names that are in the protected category are open to inquiries. Carolina only wants to move a player from their defense if they're an absolute upgrade and worth the squeeze that parting with a player like Hanifin would be. Presumably, we aren't talking about Haydn Fleury here. Nyquist and Tatar would be the closest to what we'd be looking for in terms of value, but I don't think Carolina feels incredibly comfortable unless the player they're getting back has similar upside. While Nyquist and Tatar are fantastic pieces, they don't offer the same upside that Hanifin does. They are essentially what they are going to be at this point, which is 45-55 point players. That's not a slight by any stretch, but Hanifin certainly has the potential to achieve those totals from defense if his trajectory continues. And if the price for a 45-55 point player is Noah Hanifin, we'd be silly to not keep him. If we start to discuss deals like a two for one, it becomes immediately insulting to both sides.

I think it's likely more prudent for Detroit and Carolina to seek out different avenues to improve their teams.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Has Carolina actually ever done business with Detroit before? I know the Whalers did w/ Shanahan but I can't recall a single Hurricanes/Wings trade. Only thing I can think of would be plucking Nesty and Frk from waivers.

And yeah as Vagrant said, I just don't see anything of value for either team to do business at this time. Maybe if the Wings wanted Murphy for a forward but I'm not sure why they'd do this.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Hmmm, for some reason I could've sworn he came here as a UFA after Detroit stacked up on Hasek, Hull, and Robitallie. Guess not.

Well that at least answers that.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Tier 1: Slavin/Faulk/Hanifin
Tier 2: Pesce

Detroit would have to put Larkin on the table to get Carolina to break up its Top 4.

Tier 3: Fleury/Bean

Detroit would have to put Athanasiou's or Tatar's RFA rights on the table to motivate Carolina to trade away one of its recent lottery picks. I'm not sure Carolina would pursue Nyquist unless he could be had for draft picks, considering his contractual situation. Mantha would work as well, of course, but if Detroit were willing to move him for whatever reason, it would require an asset in a higher tier.

Tier 5: Murphy

Murphy could use a change of scenery and doesn't hold much in terms of value. If dealt, I'm not expecting anything beyond a mid to late round pick/equivalent prospect or a young player in a similar situation.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Tier 1: Slavin/Faulk/Hanifin
Tier 2: Pesce

Detroit would have to put Larkin on the table to get Carolina to break up its Top 4.

Tier 3: Fleury/Bean

Detroit would have to put Athanasiou's or Tatar's RFA rights on the table to motivate Carolina to trade away one of its recent lottery picks. I'm not sure Carolina would pursue Nyquist unless he could be had for draft picks, considering his contractual situation. Mantha would work as well, of course, but if Detroit were willing to move him for whatever reason, it would require an asset in a higher tier.

Tier 5: Murphy

Murphy could use a change of scenery and doesn't hold much in terms of value. If dealt, I'm not expecting anything beyond a mid to late round pick/equivalent prospect or a young player in a similar situation.

I'm open to moving either Tatar or Nyquist for either Fleury or picks. Larkin and Mantha are pretty much off the table unless you are talking Slavin, but I can see AA being part of a package for Pesce.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
I'm open to moving either Tatar or Nyquist for either Fleury or picks. Larkin and Mantha are pretty much off the table unless you are talking Slavin, but I can see AA being part of a package for Pesce.

Can Tatar play his off wing? What package of picks would it take?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->