Value of: Carolina Defensemen

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
As an Avs fan, I'd be interested in bringing Slavin home, for the right price. Unfortunately, I think the reasonable asking price is going to be higher than that "right price".

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As an Avs fan, I'd be interested in bringing Slavin home, for the right price. Unfortunately, I think the reasonable asking price is going to be higher than that "right price".

Yeah, of the guys the OP listed...my ranking goes:

Slavin
Fleury/Pesce
Murphy

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Not named Faulk or Hanafin

• Haydn Fleury
  • Ryan Murphy
  • Brett Pesce
  • Jaccob Slavin
  • Any others I may be forgetting

Carolina isn't really in a position to move most of those guys, not until after the expansion draft for a variety of different reasons.

*Slavin's not untouchable, but as he played almost 30 games last year on his off-hand side as a rookie on the top-pair when Faulk was out, you aren't going to like the price. He's shown #2/3 upside so you're paying for #2/3 upside...of the listed defensemen, he's easily the most expensive to acquire.

*Pesce would be available if someone offered a similar-aged top-6 F...but he'd be hard to replace...if he becomes available, it's because someone like McKeown played their way onto the team in camp, making him expendable.

*Fleury is the most-likely to be moved. He's not penciled into the Canes NHL lineup, the Canes are extremely-deep on LHD, and he would return great value. As much as I'd like to see him stay in Raleigh, I'd be surprised if he isn't moved for an equivalent F spec.

*Murphy presents an interesting problem...the Canes kind of have to keep him in order to expose him in the expansion draft as very few defensemen in the organization are expansion-eligible. Moving Murph makes sense only if they acquire another expansion-eligible defenseman signed for next year, either in return for him or separately.

*Carrick, McKeown, Bean might be available if someone offered something intriguing...but as none of them likely see regular NHL action this season, they probably have more value to the Canes future than around the league in trade today.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I want to know what Carolina fans would want for these players.

Too open ended of a question without context:

Slavin: He's likely to be on our top pairing this year along side Faulk. I don't see the Canes trading him unless somebody totally knocks their socks off, and I don't see that happening since the Canes probably value him higher than other teams.

Murphy: Personally, I don't think he's worth a whole lot. Unfortunately, Murphy and Faulk are the only 2 guys on the roster that meet the expansion draft requirement of exposing a player that is under contract for 17/18 and has played more than X games (Hainsey/Tennyson are UFAs; Hanifin, Pesce, Slavin are exempt). I'm sure Francis could solve that problem another way. I think in a vacuum, Murphy is only worth a bottom six forward type. Problem is, Canes have too many of those already so adding more doesn't help. Their best hope is he turns it around this year and/or he's part of a package deal (and no Bern, please don't post the same package again :laugh:), otherwise he'll be exposed.

Pesce is probably the most moveable and relatively marketable. Personally, I'd want a young player that has top 6 potential (but not top tier), but can see why other teams might not give that up as he's not proven enough.

Fleury I'd want a top forward prospect. Problem is, right now it's unlikely anyone would offer that so Canes are better off letting him develop and worrying about his value later.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Pesce is probably the most moveable and relatively marketable. Personally, I'd want a young player that has top 6 potential (but not top tier), but can see why other teams might not give that up as he's not proven enough.

Yakupov for Pesce? The Oilers had too many wingers even before bringing in Versteeg on a PTO. Pesce would help our situation down the right side significantly and could grow into a reliable, regular contributor in the top four.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Yakupov for Pesce? The Oilers had too many wingers even before bringing in Versteeg on a PTO. Pesce would help our situation down the right side significantly and could grow into a reliable, regular contributor in the top four.
Oilers lack top 6 NHL wingers. Lucic, Eberle, Pouliot, and Yakupov is all they have. Versteeg is a 3rd liner, and Puljujarvi isn't a lock to make the team. Plus the Oilers don't need another bottom pairing defenseman

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Oilers lack top 6 NHL wingers. Lucic, Eberle, Pouliot, and Yakupov is all they have. Versteeg is a 3rd liner, and Puljujarvi isn't a lock to make the team. Plus the Oilers don't need another bottom pairing defenseman

Spoken like someone who has never seen Pesce play.

Pesce would cost Eberle at a minimum and I doubt the Canes even move him for that given their lack of RHD depth.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

The cost would be more than anyone would be willing to pay. Slavin is starting the year on the Canes top pairing and has #1 potential. The Canes aren't giving him up without seeing what he develops into.

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
Spoken like someone who has never seen Pesce play.

Pesce would cost Eberle at a minimum and I doubt the Canes even move him for that given their lack of RHD depth.

BWAAAA HAAAHAAA.... Pesce would cost Eberle? At minimum? He may be youngish and good and turning into a good d-man, but your value of him is wayyyy off....

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
BWAAAA HAAAHAAA.... Pesce would cost Eberle? At minimum? He may be youngish and good and turning into a good d-man, but your value of him is wayyyy off....

A non-elite but very good young veteran top-6 W...yeah, that's totally not worth a young, physical, established two-way top-4 RHD. :shakehead

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
A non-elite but very good young veteran top-6 W

Stopped reading there.

Wait, no I didn't. But I wish I did:

...yeah, that's totally not worth a young, physical, established two-way top-4 RHD. :shakehead

69 NHL GP = established
4X 20 goal seasons, 4X 60 point seasons, 30+ goal scorer = non-elite

But if the Canes really have so many elite/top pairing guys, I question why they had a -28 goal differential and missed the playoffs for the seventh consecutive year. A mystery, that.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A non-elite but very good young veteran top-6 W...yeah, that's totally not worth a young, physical, established two-way top-4 RHD. :shakehead

That's like saying I wouldn't take Jeff Skinner for Brandon Davidson. Except for the whole handedness and concussion thing.

Slavin Pesce is a good young D, but he's far from established. Enjoy the sophomore slump!

Last edited:

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Stopped reading there.

69 NHL GP = established

But if the Canes really have so many elite/top pairing guys, I question why they had a -28 goal differential and missed the playoffs for the seventh consecutive year. A mystery, that.

God, I hate to agree with an Oilers fan, but Eberle is more elite than Pesce is established.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Stopped reading there.

69 NHL GP = established

Nobody said Pesce was top-pairing quality. He played on the second-pair and was notable for being above-average for a 2nd pair defenseman as a rookie.

As for the -28 goal-differential...I know that you're a fan of a Western team and may not have paid much attention to the Canes, but the issue wasn't the Canes D. It's pretty well impossible to not have a negative goal-diff when your goaltending sucks and your team doesn't score.

Also...Eberle isn't elite. Sorry, not sorry. Elite means in the discussion for best at his position...that isn't Jordan Eberle. He's very good...but good defensemen are worth more than forwards and forwards of Eberle's quality regularly return (top-4, but not top-2) defenseman.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That's like saying I wouldn't take Jeff Skinner for Brandon Davidson. Except for the whole handedness and concussion thing.

Slavin is a good young D, but he's far from established. Enjoy the sophomore slump!

You know, before you try posting such a creative and sarcastic comment like this, you might want to get the right player. The whole discussion was Pesce, not Slavin.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
God, I hate to agree with an Oilers fan, but Eberle is more elite than Pesce is established.

Yeah, I'm a Canes fan and agree, and I'm not even a big fan of Eberle.

I think the point is, Canes aren't likely to trade Pesce for a forward that is "equal value", because the Canes have enough of those types of guys, so there is not a desire to trade Pesce for a guy like that. Makes it tough to make a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->