Proposal: Carolina - Columbus

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Just a one for one swap of players that had some sort of success with their former teams if Carolina could retain 575k of Dzingel’s contract.

:canes Gets C Riley Nash

:cbj Gets LW Ryan Dzingel
I'd rather pay 3.3m for Dzingel than 3.3m for Nash.

Don't see any reason for CAR to even consider this.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Both teams keep their guys. Nash fills his role for torts. Dzingel gives the canes some o-depth. They expire in a year and go from there.

Reactions: Viqsi

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yikes, how did Nash get paid so much? I had no idea.
He's "only" making 2.7 but if CAR retains 575k on Dzingel, they are essentially now paying 3.3m for Nash while CBJ is getting Dzingel for 2.7m.

Not a ton of salary difference, but I'd rather have Dzingel anyway.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Canes need more offense, not more defensive minded guys who never score. Dzingle isn’t loved by his coach and doesn’t get a lot of playing time but he’s WAY more likely to be a scorer than Nash. This makes no sense for the Canes. Nash would be the fourth line center.

Not to mention if we liked Nash we would’ve just kept him in the first place.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Canes need more offense, not more defensive minded guys who never score. Dzingle isn’t loved by his coach and doesn’t get a lot of playing time but he’s WAY more likely to be a scorer than Nash. This makes no sense for the Canes. Nash would be the fourth line center.

Not to mention if we liked Nash we would’ve just kept him in the first place.
Thought maybe I could correct a few words from your post.....

Jackets need more offense, not more defensive minded guys who never score. Dzingle isn’t loved by Torts and doesn’t get a lot of playing time even though he’s WAY more likely to be a scorer than Nash. This makes no sense for the Jackets. Nash is effective as the fourth line center.

Not to mention if we liked Dzingel we would’ve just kept him in the first place.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Edit: nevermind. Some complicated point but even if you take care of all sorts of hypotheticals, Dzingel remains a weak one-dimensional winger that most teams don't really want. Nash plays a minor role but at least he's good at it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thought maybe I could correct a few words from your post.....

Jackets need more offense, not more defensive minded guys who never score. Dzingle isn’t loved by Torts and doesn’t get a lot of playing time even though he’s WAY more likely to be a scorer than Nash. This makes no sense for the Jackets. Nash is effective as the fourth line center.

Not to mention if we liked Dzingel we would’ve just kept him in the first place.
You didn’t “correct” anything. None of what you wrote refutes what he wrote at all. Canes have no desire or need for Nash. The fact that Columbus doesn’t have a need or desire for Dzingel is completely irrelevant to that point.

It Does mean the trade makes no sense for either side though. Can’t see CLB wanting Dzingel back any more than Carolina wanting Nash back.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedgreen

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Doesn’t look like this proposal went over so well.
Should have thought this one through a little more.

Columbus has more of a need for a defensive 4C more then Carolina although if one of Carolina’s centers get injured they don’t have very many center that could fill in and Torts does like his defensive forwards more then his offensive ones that only play the wing.

Eventually I could see Nash being put out of a job in Columbus with a lot of young talent like Foudy and Texier coming into that lineup over the next few seasons, same goes for Dzingel in Carolina as the wing spots for Carolina could become crowded with prospects like Bokk, Jarvis and Gunler taking over in a season or two.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Doesn’t look like this proposal went over so well.
Should have thought this one through a little more.

Columbus has more of a need for a defensive 4C more then Carolina although if one of Carolina’s centers get injured they don’t have very many center that could fill in and Torts does like his defensive forwards more then his offensive ones that only play the wing.

Eventually I could see Nash being put out of a job in Columbus with a lot of young talent like Foudy and Texier coming into that lineup over the next few seasons, same goes for Dzingel in Carolina as the wing spots for Carolina could become crowded with prospects like Bokk, Jarvis and Gunler taking over in a season or two.

Huh? Aho, Trochek, Staal, Geekie, Necas and Martinook just on the NHL roster. Cotton, Mattheos, Bishop, Lorentz, Shore at the AHL level. If they need to fill in a 4C at any point in time, they are fine.

If Aho gets injured, the Canes are screwed with or without Riley Nash on the roster. There is no replacement for their 1C, much like many/most teams in the NHL.
If Tocheck gets injured, Jordan Staal is MORE than serviceable as a 2C. Acquiring Nash doesn't help.
If Staal gets injured (like he did in the season where the Canes went to the ECF), then the Canes still have Aho, Trocheck, Geekie, Necas and Martinook to pick and choose from to fill the void.

I'm not a Dzingel fan and understand why CLB doesn't want him, but Canes don't have a need or desire for Nash.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Huh? Aho, Trochek, Staal, Geekie, Necas and Martinook just on the NHL roster. Cotton, Mattheos, Bishop, Lorentz, Shore at the AHL level. If they need to fill in a 4C at any point in time, they are fine.

If Aho gets injured, the Canes are screwed with or without Riley Nash on the roster. There is no replacement for their 1C, much like many/most teams in the NHL.
If Tocheck gets injured, Jordan Staal is MORE than serviceable as a 2C. Acquiring Nash doesn't help.
If Staal gets injured (like he did in the season where the Canes went to the ECF), then the Canes still have Aho, Trocheck, Geekie, Necas and Martinook to pick and choose from to fill the void.

I'm not a Dzingel fan and understand why CLB doesn't want him, but Canes don't have a need or desire for Nash.
I understand, no desire for Riley Nash whatsoever.
Also forgot the canes signed Drew Shore, and Necas and Martinook can fill in.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Dzingel in one of his worst years still had more offensive production than Nash in all but 1 year...I'd bank on Dz returning to 4o point form before counting on Nash to ever get close again. I wouldn't do the 1 for 1 swap WITHOUT retention, much less asking Canes to essnetially pay $3.3M for Nash. Canes will either shoot him into the sun for cap relief, flip him at the deadline to a team looking for some cheap extra firepower, or just let him play spot duty...negative interest in Nash.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Dzingel in one of his worst years still had more offensive production than Nash in all but 1 year...I'd bank on Dz returning to 4o point form before counting on Nash to ever get close again. I wouldn't do the 1 for 1 swap WITHOUT retention, much less asking Canes to essnetially pay $3.3M for Nash. Canes will either shoot him into the sun for cap relief, flip him at the deadline to a team looking for some cheap extra firepower, or just let him play spot duty...negative interest in Nash.

Yes, Geekie looked good in his short stint and will be the frontrunner for 4C. I'd rather see what Geekie can do with a longer season than acquire a rental 4C before the season starts, and then give Dzingel a chance to see if he can mesh with Trocheck during camp.

One of Nino or Dzingel will probably start the season in the top 6, just need to see which one of them gets the first shot and what line Svech ends up on.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Unless it’s something around Korpisalo and Elvis I don’t see the teams as good trading partners especially considering they’re in the same division and relatively close in standings/competition.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad