Dreger: Carolina Close to moving Skinner?

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Blues fans are probably fine with acquiring Pacioretty, but not at the insane, alternate-universe prices Habs fans were INSISTING on.
Every team has their "special" fans.
And we all know what opinions are like.
Here is mine.

The Blues absolutely need a LW.

I think they anticipate using Fabbri to spell Thomas at #3C, and they want Steen at #3LW. If Schwartz stays with Schenn (as he should), that means the blues are looking for a C and a LW to play with Tarasenko. I think Kyrou will be playing with Schenn and Schwartz.

If they can't seal the deal for Skinner, I expect them to dig deeper and make a pitch for Panarin.
No idea what they'll do at C--but it should be noted, Schenn was playing RW before he came to the Blues, and the Blues moved him to C. Skinner has some experience playing C, too. If they did trade for him, and if they don't land another top 6 C, I wouldn't put it past Yeo to try him out at C.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We just need top 6 talent period. We just won't give Thomas for rentals or non-rentals that aren't significant upgrades.

Reactions: BA Carroll

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Something tells me we Canes fans are going to be very disappointed in the return if/when Skinner is moved. It seems the new management team is hell bent on trading him, which doesn't seem to bode well. Hope I'm wrong.
I agree with you. Which really sucks because for all his defensive worts, I loved watching Skinner score goals for our pitiful offense, and he's also a great guy. It would be a lot easier to see him traded if we somehow fleeced another team, but Waddell seems intent on moving him almost at any cost.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree with you. Which really sucks because for all his defensive worts, I loved watching Skinner score goals for our pitiful offense, and he's also a great guy. It would be a lot easier to see him traded if we somehow fleeced another team, but Waddell seems intent on moving him almost at any cost.
That's the rough part about trading rentals, you never get value close to what you think it should be. If an extension is agreed, it helps, but if it's a rental situation, it's not fun for the fans.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Why the urgency? Do the Canes need cap relief for another anticipated deal? Looking for culture change? Fallout with the coach? Maybe it's been discussed, but I missed it. I hope the Blues land him, but what would motivate the Canes to want to let him go?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
That's the rough part about trading rentals, you never get value close to what you think it should be. If an extension is agreed, it helps, but if it's a rental situation, it's not fun for the fans.
He's not a pure rental though, at least not in the sense of a deadline acquistion. You get a full season out of him and a head start on negotiating with him before he reaches UFA.

Why the urgency? Do the Canes need cap relief for another anticipated deal? Looking for culture change? Fallout with the coach? Maybe it's been discussed, but I missed it. I hope the Blues land him, but what would motivate the Canes to want to let him go?
Seems to be a bit of not being able to afford his next contract with all the young forwards we'll need to be re-signing over the next few years and a bit of culture change as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's not a pure rental though, at least not in the sense of a deadline acquistion. You get a full season out of him and a head start on negotiating with him before he reaches UFA.
In these situation, it's still how they are viewed. When we were trying to move Shattenkirk at the draft at the 2016 draft, the best offer was Spooner+29th. Lots of GM's will still view it as a rental, maybe a little more value than deadline, but definitely a rental.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
way too much imho
He asked about what pieces we had that could get a signed Panarin. That's not the package, I'm simply listing out the possible pieces. I think Kyrou+Fabbri might be a bit much for the base, but I'm willing to bet that Kyrou is involved if it ever happens.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Blues fans have stated on several occasions that they didn’t need a LW.

Habs fan offered Pacioretty but Blues fans shutdown LW talk.

Pacioretty is a much better all around scoring winger than Skinner. Skinner is not strong defensively. Pacioretty brings more defense along with PK mins. Can produce the same, on top of that come in a little cheaper cap wise.

No one really cares what the fans have to say about potential trades.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
In these situation, it's still how they are viewed. When we were trying to move Shattenkirk at the draft at the 2016 draft, the best offer was Spooner+29th. Lots of GM's will still view it as a rental, maybe a little more value than deadline, but definitely a rental.
GMs that view him as a potential rental only will probably reflect that in their offers, I agree. But there could be a GM or two that views him as a long term option that might offer more. I guess we'll see shortly.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues fans have stated on several occasions that they didn’t need a LW.

Habs fan offered Pacioretty but Blues fans shutdown LW talk.

Pacioretty is a much better all around scoring winger than Skinner. Skinner is not strong defensively. Pacioretty brings more defense along with PK mins. Can produce the same, on top of that come in a little cheaper cap wise.
Montreal wanted Thomas, which isn't happening.

Reactions: Pens x

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
GMs that view him as a potential rental only will probably reflect that in their offers, I agree. But there could be a GM or two that views him as a long term option that might offer more. I guess we'll see shortly.
Usually in those scenarios they'll be able to discuss an extension before the trade and have it agreed upon. We could've had Hall or Drouin, but Shattenkirk didn't agree to an extension. We'll just have to wait and see what kind of situation is Skinner's.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, but I wouldn't be underwhelmed by a "rental" return, because that's reasonable to me (mid-late 1st and prospect). I'm worried it's going to be worse.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->