Carolina 2021 day one draft review

albertascout

Apr 8, 2012
Our draft review of the Carolina
Hurricanes 2021 HFNHL draft in
Long format

The Hurricanes started the draft process with the #11 pick. We traded down with young Zack for 17 and 44. We then found another trading partner for #17 trading down to #37 and three third round picks.

Our day began knowing we wanted to trade down some more.
Having multiple picks seems to benefit many teams I have
Longed to emulate.

Our first pick in the draft was #44 as we traded #37 and #43 down
Hoping snagging some additional lower round selections would pay
Long term dividends.

#44 Chase Stillman – RW Sudbury Wolves
We liked the size, the spring birthday and the bloodline. He was drafted in the NHL at #29 by NJD so he has a chance to grow in the up and coming squad.

Our second selection was in great demand and several teams must have
Had players that they really wanted. When my turn came my player
Landed right in my lap and passed on the trade offers (I already traded down twice)

#50 Wyatt Johnston – C Windsor Spitfires
We liked the size, the spring birthday and the write up on the McKeens guide seemed filled with promise. He was ranked where I had picks and there was no other random reason . He was drafted in the NHL at #23 by the Dallas Stars.

Obviously things are feeling like they are going to plan with the first two picks
Having a long wait until #68 I was worried my last target in the second round would not last.
Luckily, that player was still there.

#68 Ryan Winterton – RW Hamilton Bulldogs
We liked the size, the late birthday meaning he has more development to go. He appears to be a middle six type player with skating. He was drafted by the Seattle Kraken at #67. Love that opportunity for the player to develop without a lot of roadblocks of established players in his way.

Our targets to drafted are now 3 for 3. This is fantastic as the long term plan
Has been going with out a hitch. A t some point the team is going to
Lose on a player we wanted, but not yet.

#75 Ryan Mast – D Sarnia Sting
Ryan has great size and played in a top four role in his rookie season. The is a great chance that he will develop his skills even further.

#88 Jack Matier – D Ottawa 67’s
Again, has great size, he can skate and has a spring birthday. He has a great chance to develop much further once he gets to play again with a top four/top pair role. Being righthanded does not hurt at all.

#91 Joe Vrbetic – G North Bay Battalion
This was a reach. I was planning for Tristan Lennox to here and lo and behold. He was gone. Joe has great size and we have high hopes for him.

Out of picks for day one, I am pleased with the
Haul I got and the extra picks for rounds 4-7 (plus a 3rd for 2022)
Lastly, I would like to say thank you to the HFNHL owner demanded I do a breakdown.

Darryl

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Winterton and Johnston could be good returns, I guess you will like Stillman the most. Every team is coveting these big kids who can skate, work hard and have some skill as well.

Reactions: albertascout

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Welcome to Ontario!

Winterton was a target of mine, and I considered trading up for Johnston as well, although mostly because I bought the buzz he would go first round. On the other hand, Stillman slipping into the first surprised me.

I get the strategy though, and tried to do something similar with some WHL kids.

Reactions: albertascout

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad