Online Series: Carnival Row on Amazon

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I've watched two episodes. The first was a chore to get through, even though its running time is only an hour (took me two nights). The second episode was modestly better, and only due to my being more familiar with the universe.

The show looks nice -- the Victorian-themed sets bring lots of eye candy to the production.

Two episodes in and I can't get past the fauns. They look ridiculous. A "Pan's Labyrinth" inspired creature design would have had me all in. Here, they're wearing tailored suits and hats.

I like Cara Delevingne and want to like her here, but the material is flat. Jared Harris, who seems to be in everything lately, feels wasted as a politician at the center of a kidnapping plot (not certain where this is headed and don't care).

I'll finish out the season since the whole thing is available for streaming. The show created a nice sandbox for itself to play in, but hasn't done anything of note in the early going. Unimpressed.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've watched two episodes. The first was a chore to get through, even though its running time is only an hour (took me two nights). The second episode was modestly better, and only due to my being more familiar with the universe.

The show looks nice -- the Victorian-themed sets bring lots of eye candy to the production.

Two episodes in and I can't get past the fauns. They look ridiculous. A "Pan's Labyrinth" inspired creature design would have had me all in. Here, they're wearing tailored suits and hats.

I like Cara Delevingne and want to like her here, but the material is flat. Jared Harris, who seems to be in everything lately, feels wasted as a politician at the center of a kidnapping plot (not certain where this is headed and don't care).

I'll finish out the season since the whole thing is available for streaming. The show created a nice sandbox for itself to play in, but hasn't done anything of note in the early going. Unimpressed.

I believe it’s episode three where they tell some of their back story and show part of the war. Through the first five episodes that third one has been by far the best one.

I’m enjoying the show, but if they had focused more on the conflict and not the after math, I suspect the ratings would be much higher.

It’s exactly like you said... great atmosphere and world building, but they seem to be coloring outside the edges instead of focusing on a plot that would be immensely more engrossing.

Reactions: Mimsy

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I believe it’s episode three where they tell some of their back story and show part of the war. Through the first five episodes that third one has been by far the best one.

I’m enjoying the show, but if they had focused more on the conflict and not the after math, I suspect the ratings would be much higher.

It’s exactly like you said... great atmosphere and world building, but they seem to be coloring outside the edges instead of focusing on a plot that would be immensely more engrossing.
You've given me some hope. I'm likely watching episode 3 tonight. Some backstory on the war and the relationship between the two leads may fill in a few blanks. Good to know.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You've given me some hope. I'm likely watching episode 3 tonight. Some backstory on the war and the relationship between the two leads may fill in a few blanks. Good to know.

They fill in mostly all the blanks between them in episodes 3 and 4, and have a pretty big reveal.

Just wish they focused more on the conflict instead of a one episode flashback, but I believe they are trying to focus on a message about acceptance. Unfortunately it’s a little overbearing and in your face what’s going on.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
We watched all of it, good not great. Didn't really pick up or connect with me until they showed some of the backstory. It was predictable in the end. I also feel Jared Harris was wasted in this role. I think the focus on the acceptance really was what they were after with this...the original author was notoriously prejudice and in many of his works he had leanings.

I read an article on The Verge today, basically saying the same thing and that the goal here was to try and flip this story to be more about acceptance rather then the prejudice of the original author.

Carnival Row openly subverts H.P. Lovecraft’s racism

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
We watched all of it, good not great. Didn't really pick up or connect with me until they showed some of the backstory. It was predictable in the end. I also feel Jared Harris was wasted in this role. I think the focus on the acceptance really was what they were after with this...the original author was notoriously prejudice and in many of his works he had leanings.

I read an article on The Verge today, basically saying the same thing and that the goal here was to try and flip this story to be more about acceptance rather then the prejudice of the original author.

Carnival Row openly subverts H.P. Lovecraft’s racism

I'm definitely with you on the good not great, but I'm glad there is going to be a 2nd season as there is a good world that they've built. Like Jiggy said, Episode 3 was the real standout, some of the others dragged (especially Episode 7).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A friend told me this is a poor man's take on the themes from Penny Dreadful, and not as well acted either, but still enjoyable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->