Carlson on pace to rival best ever D-man assist numbers (outside of Orr and Coffey)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
that's why it's funny, it's like me making a thread like "Pastanak To win the hart (Excluding Mackinnon Mcdavid and draisaitl)
The context is the NHL's history, not one season's Hart trophy race. There's no difference saying what I said in the title vs. something like this:

Yzerman 88-89...best season by player (not 99/66/04)?

There are certain players that are off the charts good and not even worth comparing players to, and for offensive numbers for D-men, those players are Orr and Coffey.

It says a lot about certain posters when they just enter threads to try to pick away at certain wording when it's very obvious there is nothing misleading about the way it was presented. I'll give you a like because I know that's what you want.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Why am I not surprised that you've created 2 threads here. I'm willing to bet this post is the most effort you've ever put into a post.

Haha - don't sell me short my dude, that might be the single most amount of effort I've put into anything ever.

[Edit] I did say that Carlson is a damned beast already. The stats speak for themselves.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
The context is the NHL's history, not one season's Hart trophy race. There's no difference saying what I said in the title vs. something like this:

Yzerman 88-89...best season by player (not 99/66/04)?

There are certain players that are off the charts good and not even worth comparing players to, and for offensive numbers for D-men, those players are Orr and Coffey.

It says a lot about certain posters when they just enter threads to try to pick away at certain wording when it's very obvious there is nothing misleading about the way it was presented. I'll give you a like because I know that's what you want.
And in the end, i always get what i want

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Would like to see him being even close to those numbers if he played in Ottawa, Anaheim, New Jersey, San Jose etc.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's baffling. He's on pace to dwarf any point totals Karlsson had and they were ready to build statues for EK. Plus Carlson can actually play defense.
Well, for example, EK was a PPG defenseman in the 15/16 season, where only 5 players in the entire league broke 82 points (a PPG season). This season, about 18 players are PPG and a bunch are very close to PPG. It'll drop off, but it will be nowhere close to only 5 players being PPG this season.

Of course it's much easier to surpass that when the scoring is through the roof. Meanwhile, Carlson might not even be top 10 in the league in scoring. Again, Karlsson was top 5.

Also, that Karlsson could never play defense is a laughable argument.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Well, for example, EK was a PPG defenseman in the 15/16 season, where only 5 players in the entire league broke 82 points (a PPG season). This season, about 18 players are PPG and a bunch are very close to PPG. It'll drop off, but it will be nowhere close to only 5 players being PPG this season.

Of course it's much easier to surpass that when the scoring is through the roof. Meanwhile, Carlson might not even be top 10 in the league in scoring. Again, Karlsson was top 5.

Also, that Karlsson could never play defense is a laughable argument.

The difference between top-5 and top-10 is 5 points either way. It's negligible and far smaller than the monumental gap defensively between Karlsson and Carlson.

Also, Carlson is 20% above PPG. Karlsson has never sniffed that kind of production and scoring isn't 'through the roof'. It's barely higher.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The difference between top-5 and top-10 is 5 points either way. It's negligible and far smaller than the monumental gap defensively between Karlsson and Carlson.

Also, Carlson is 20% above PPG. Karlsson has never sniffed that kind of production and scoring isn't 'through the roof'. It's barely higher.
Compared to Karlsson's PPG season, it's "through the roof" when it comes to point production from top players. Karlsson had 82 points on his team, the second closest was Mark Stone with 61. That's a 21 point difference to his teammates, as a defenseman.

Last season, 25 players produced 82 points or more. Again, in Karlsson's PPG season, it was 5, him included. Only one reached 100+ points (Kane, 106. Last season six players broke 100 points).

What Carlson is doing is impressive, but don't come here with that "what Karlsson did wasn't that impressive" bullcrap. It's a far more friendly enviroment for offensive defensemen to produce today, than it was merely 5 years ago. Top scorers are also pouring in points, compared to 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was wondering how long it would take to become a Karlsson thread once Carlson and Orr were used on the same page.

These guys have alerts turned on, man, you have to be careful.

Truly fantastic offensive season by John, I wondered if he could keep it up after October but here we are still plugging away

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Was wondering how long it would take to become a Karlsson thread once Carlson and Orr were used on the same page.

These guys have alerts turned on, man, you have to be careful.

Truly fantastic offensive season by John, I wondered if he could keep it up after October but here we are still plugging away
It starts when someone in a mandatory manner decides to take a dump on Karlsson, when the thread is about Carlson.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Compared to Karlsson's PPG season, it's "through the roof" when it comes to point production from top players. Karlsson had 82 points on his team, the second closest was Mark Stone with 61. That's a 21 point difference to his teammates, as a defenseman.

Last season, 25 players produced 82 points or more. Again, in Karlsson's PPG season, it was 5, him included. Only one reached 100+ points (Kane, 106. Last season six players broke 100 points).

What Carlson is doing is impressive, but don't come here with that "what Karlsson did wasn't that impressive" bullcrap. It's a far more friendly enviroment for offensive defensemen to produce today, than it was merely 5 years ago. Top scorers are also pouring in points, compared to 5 years ago.

There's always a reason Karlsson was better. No matter what anyone else does, Karlsson was better.

Yet here's Karlson at 29 years old, in the prime of his career and he's a decent scoring, horrible defending defenseman. Maybe, he is what he always was?

The mental gymnastics people jump through to pretend he was something amazing are unbelievable. Let's just pretend he was a different player 5 years ago, who played defense and covered his man in front of the net and made smarter decisions with the puck.

His Norris trophies will always be a joke from a media that overhyped Canadian players, same as Subban.

For your consideration... here are the 2015-16 even-strength goals against: NHL.com Stats

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Actually if you look at the numbers Carlson had a crazy good October and has leveled off quite a bit since then.

I have no idea on where he will end up but I would bet very good money that he won't even hit 74 assists, which is 15th on your list above.

He is on pace for 76 but that also includes his 16 assists in 14 games in October.

Since then his pace has been 39 assists in 45 games.

My bet is that he ends up with around 70 assists give or take an assist.

Still a remarkable offensive season by Carlson.

I agree with this.

He was actually even better past October with 28 assists in his first 24 games boosting his totals.

In 35 games since then (nearly 60% of his current season), he has 27 assists, which means he’s been playing at a 63 assist pace for a majority of the season.

About 70 assists sounds about right.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Actually if you look at the numbers Carlson had a crazy good October and has leveled off quite a bit since then.

I have no idea on where he will end up but I would bet very good money that he won't even hit 74 assists, which is 15th on your list above.

He is on pace for 76 but that also includes his 16 assists in 14 games in October.

Since then his pace has been 39 assists in 45 games.

My bet is that he ends up with around 70 assists give or take an assist.

Still a remarkable offensive season by Carlson.
For some stretches he was on pace for 246 assists, but for some other stretches he was on pace for 0 assists! We need to invent a way to overlook all this variance...

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
How many of these primary assists led to Ovechkin goals?

By no means am I saying this negatively. Like the Bergeron line I presume they are feeding off each other in spectacular fashion.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
How many of these primary assists led to Ovechkin goals?

By no means am I saying this negatively. Like the Bergeron line I presume they are feeding off each other in spectacular fashion.
Goal-scorers on Carlson primary assists:

Ovechkin - 12 (5 PP)
Oshie - 5 (4 PP)
Kuznetsov - 4 (3 PP)
Vrana - 4 (1 PP)
Wilson - 3 (1 PP)
Backstrom - 2 (1 PP)
Boyd - 1
Dowd - 1
Eller - 1
Hathaway 1
Leipsic - 1

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For some stretches he was on pace for 246 assists, but for some other stretches he was on pace for 0 assists! We need to invent a way to overlook all this variance...

The easy answer here is larger sample size and past performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad