Carle vs Meszaros

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Andrej is not only solid defensively but has good offensive upside as well. I just hope that he will be capable to handle increased responsibilities this year with the departure of Chara. On the other hand, I haven't seen much of Carle except for one game in which he only had a couple of shifts. Which one of these guys will have the best career? Who will put up the most points?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Career - Meszaros
Points - Carle

I hate to not delve into explanation, but this is pretty straight-forward in my mind.

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I think Carle is great at playing in just about any situation, but so is the guy who nearly led the league in plus/minus at 20.

This is actually really baffling. Good comparison. The NHL moved to fast for Carle IMO, but he only had McLaren and Hannan as fellow Dmen who had played more then 2 years in the NHL. And it should be no suprise that Meszaros played well with the veteran in Chara. They were also linemates in the olympics.

Dammit, ya know what, why can't I just learn how to be subtle?! The poster above me pretty much has it cold.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think they'll be about the same, with probably a slight edge to Meszaros. Meszaros comes off to me as a guy whose very good in a lot of areas, but not great in any one, which is why I don't think he'll be a #1 some day. Carle has the ability to be a #2 guy possibly.

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
Career - Meszaros
Points - Carle

I hate to not delve into explanation, but this is pretty straight-forward in my mind.

Agreed.

Meszaros is better right now. Carle hasnt played enough at the NHL level to evaluate career potential at this point. I think Carle will put up better numbers over his career, but I dont think he will develop the same complete game that AM will.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Are we talking about Matt Carle or Mathieu Carle?

I would assume Matt Carle of San Jose.

On the Matt Carle/Mathieu Carle subject, did anyone else notice during the draft that the Habs took Matheiu Carle using the pick that they obtained from Matt Carle's Sharks (it was the pick San Jose sacrificed to move up and get Wishart). Freaky.

And on topic, I would say that Meszaros gets an edge defensively, Carle gets an edge offensively, so all in all I'd say it's a draw.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec

On the Matt Carle/Mathieu Carle subject, did anyone else notice during the draft that the Habs took Matheiu Carle using the pick that they obtained from Matt Carle's Sharks (it was the pick San Jose sacrificed to move up and get Wishart). Freaky.

And on topic, I would say that Meszaros gets an edge defensively, Carle gets an edge offensively, so all in all I'd say it's a draw.

Ya... creepy. They're the same kind of player too. I wonder which one will have the better career... Funny if they end up on the same team one day.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002

lol that's weird to say the least.

BTW, I have read bad things about Matthieu Carle here on this forum. Like if he was really bad defensively and that he had poor conditioning-work ethics. After we drafted him, the habs had a mini camp and we learnt more about this guy. After all, he sounds like a really good pick. He's in very good shape, he's strong, very skilled, etc... He could really turn into a great player.

Randall Graves*

Have to go with Meszaros, he's done it in the NHL at a young age and should continue to improve.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I think anyone would.

I love Carle, but it's not even close right now.

Anyone who'd take Carle would be a homer, IMO.

I'd take Carle long term because I think he will end up being the better of the 2 in the future. I realize it isnt a popular opinion but I watched him alot on college and really like his game alot.
I understand why most will pick AM, but I honestly feel that after next season is over, if you ask this question (give Carle one full year in the NHL to impress and AM a year without Chara to impress) then it isnt going to as lopsided as it is now.

And as you know, Im not a Sharks fan at all.

matys

Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
I'd take Carle long term because I think he will end up being the better of the 2 in the future. I realize it isnt a popular opinion but I watched him alot on college and really like his game alot.
I understand why most will pick AM, but I honestly feel that after next season is over, if you ask this question (give Carle one full year in the NHL to impress and AM a year without Chara to impress) then it isnt going to as lopsided as it is now.

I don´t know, maybe I´m wrong but I think Meszaros didn´t spend much time with Chara as his defensive partner. Chara´s partner was Phillips. Meszaros spent a lot of time with Pothier and later with Redden.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I've watched Carle's entire NCAA career and I usually give the edge to NCAA players in comparisons, but I just find it impossible to do in this case.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Career - Meszaros
Points - Carle

I'm not sure I even see Carle scoring that much more than Meszaros. It'll be a point to point battle for a long time, but it'll be a Lidstrom-Schneider type of battle, where one is clearly the more valuable player.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I don´t know, maybe I´m wrong but I think Meszaros didn´t spend much time with Chara as his defensive partner. Chara´s partner was Phillips. Meszaros spent a lot of time with Pothier and later with Redden.

No, you're pretty much bang on. Meszaros also played a lot of games as Redden's replacement in the line up too... pretty sure he was paired with Volchenkov in those situations.

Cyclops II*

Meszaros rather easily at this point.

Wrong as usual. Meszaros may have had a good regular season but he choked inthe playoffs and made several terrible plays/passes that led to goals against. Carle made fewer defensive gaffes in the playoffs and contributed offensively.
Carle has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman. I am not convinced the Meszaros does.

mattlef

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto, ON
www.youtube.com
Wrong as usual. Meszaros may have had a good regular season but he choked inthe playoffs and made several terrible plays/passes that led to goals against. Carle made fewer defensive gaffes in the playoffs and contributed offensively.
Carle has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman. I am not convinced the Meszaros does.

How about we put it this way. Meszaros, at 20, Played top four minutes, on one of the best teams in the league, was one of the leaders in +/- all year, Played in the Olympics, and played top pair mins when redden went down....

So when playoff time came, the guy was beat, and still played okay, other then the few lapses in the defensive end. If you want to compare Carle and Meszaros, based on the fact that Mez had a bad playoff, then I'm sorry, your way out to lunch.

Both guys are very talented, and both will turn into stud top pairing guys, but Meszaros will get there quicker the Carle, because of last years experience. I'm sorry, but to compare a guy who played over 100 some games, to someone who played at the most 82, is rediculus, and to judge based on the fact that he had a poor playoff is down right unfair to Andrej

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Carle played 13 regular season games and Meszaros led the league in +/- for alot of the reason. As of right now, Meszaros has proved a hell of alot more. Right now I would take Meszaros without a second thought. Meszaros easily has the potential to be a #1 d-man, he made some rookie mistakes in the playoffs but that is understandable. As for Carle, I didn't watch him much in the playoffs so I won't comment on him defensively but I for sure wouldn't call 3 assists "contributing offensively."

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Meszaros had one bad game followed by four where only one goal (not his fault) was scored against him in the last series. Slipping up after success in the first series doesn't show a lack of ability under pressure, but rather lack of experience at controlling playoff emotions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad