Carl Soderberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitaraholic*

there are a couple of different evaluations of him in articles from Larry Wigge and a couple of others at Blues sites. Not so much what Wigge thinks of him but Larry just passes along what various scouts say about the kid. All of it very impressive, to be honest. I'm a long time Blues fan (20+ years) so I'm a little jaded when it comes to Blues prospects (esp. forwards) but for some reason Soderberg is different. I just get a gut feeling about him. Maybe it's because so many scouts seem so high on him, as do those who watched him play in Sweden...
oh, also the latest posting by John Hadley mentions Soderberg and what some scouts think of him and his performance at a current tourny. www.hadleyonsports.com is where you'll find the article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
rivercanyon said:
Carl Söderberg > Johannes Salmonsson
Carl Söderberg > Alexander Steen
Carl Söderberg > Robert Nilsson
Carl Söderberg > Loui Eriksson

Carl Söderberg < Johannes Salmonsson
Carl Söderberg < Alexander Steen
Carl Söderberg > Robert Nilsson
Carl Söderberg < Loui Eriksson

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Here's our profile for Soderberg for our 2004 Young Guns Draft Guide:

26. Carl Soderburg F/L 10/12/85 6-3/198 Malmo (Sweden) – Soderburg is one of the most complete forwards to come out of Sweden in years. He possesses a very advanced level of play. He dominated against his own age class, scoring at almost a goal and an assist clip in junior before being called up to the SEL. Although he has not matched his previous scoring totals in Sweden’s top league, he has looked at home there. Soderburg is not a wrecking ball on the ice by any means but he is not shy to venture into traffic and will take hits to make plays. Confidence and further physical development will lead to a more forceful game. He has an excellent wrister and slapper. He plays a responsible defensive game. Soderburg is also very good on faceoffs.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Chief said:
Here's our profile for Soderberg for our 2004 Young Guns Draft Guide:

26. Carl Soderburg F/L 10/12/85 6-3/198 Malmo (Sweden) – Soderburg is one of the most complete forwards to come out of Sweden in years. He possesses a very advanced level of play. He dominated against his own age class, scoring at almost a goal and an assist clip in junior before being called up to the SEL. Although he has not matched his previous scoring totals in Sweden’s top league, he has looked at home there. Soderburg is not a wrecking ball on the ice by any means but he is not shy to venture into traffic and will take hits to make plays. Confidence and further physical development will lead to a more forceful game. He has an excellent wrister and slapper. He plays a responsible defensive game. Soderburg is also very good on faceoffs.

I'm curious about this "young Guns draft Guide" ..where is this list? where can one get this guide? or link?

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
You can get more info at younggunshockey.com. However, the guide isn't available unless you subscribed for it. We'll probably put the guide or at least our final 300 rankings on the site for free in about a month.

tmangos

Jul 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Mr. Zzzz said:
Carl Söderberg < ...
Mr. Z, looks like you are from Sweden and may have seen all those players. Are you saying that Söderberg is not that good, or are those other players just better than him? Is he over-rated? I'd really like to know your thoughts.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
rivercanyon said:
I should explain myself. I was thinking about potential upside.

upside alone, I think the nod would go to Robert Nilsson. But out of those players he is also the one that is perhaps least likely to reach his full potential.
Steen is the safest player there IMO.

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
tm said:
Mr. Z, looks like you are from Sweden and may have seen all those players. Are you saying that Söderberg is not that good, or are those other players just better than him? Is he over-rated? I'd really like to know your thoughts.

Yes, I`am from Sweden and the great ;) town of Malmö where Carl Söderberg is playing. I have seen him since he was 16 years old and I know him in and out as I`am a good friend of his father as well.

Carl is hard to judge right now. After last years draft I was talking about him being a top prospect for this years (2004) draft and that he had a very good chance of going in the first round but not many around here belived in me. But I just loved his game!

He has the size, skills and phenomenal hockey sense. He sees the ice so well and can find the open man everywhere on the ice. In my opinion that is his best attribute. He sees the ice much like Peter Forsberg and Igor Larionov. Loves to hold the puck and wait for the best oppertunity to creat a scoring chance. Great patience.

Now to the downside which is the reason why he didn´t go in the top-20. He lacks top notch foot speed and is pretty weak for a guy of his size. He also doasn´t use his body as much as he could have. He NEEDS to get his act togather and start hitting people. I have talked to his father about this, his agent has talked about it as well as many NHL scouts last season but he just doasn´t seem to get it. In some games he made 2-3 great hits and completely leveled the guys but than it could go 5 games before he made the next big hit. I know that he isn´t going to be a banger in the NHL, but he just needs more grit to his game.

I know the guy who was in charge of the pick of Carl Söderberg for the Blues, Ville Sarin. He was here in Malmö for at least 5 games last season and when I talked to him he ws very impressed by his performances. I also think that I know when he decided to add him to his personal list. In a game agains Luleå J-20 he totaly made a fool of Johan Fransson (the other top prospect for 2004) by stealing the puck while short handed and slipping it through Fransson`s legs for a 2-on-1 where the other guy scored on an open net. Ville looked at me and he was laughing out laud while putting down the pen in his note book. He also made a grin with his face, like "Yep, I want this guy!"

For now the other guys just seem to have a better chance of reaching theire potential as of now. He still has tons of upside and my opinion could change during this season.. who knows..

Last edited:

guitaraholic*

Mr. Zzzz said:
Yes, I`am from Sweden and the great town of Malmö where Carl Söderberg is playing. I have seen him since he was 16 years old and I know him in and out as I`am a good friend of his father as well.

Carl is hard to judge right now. After last years draft I was talking about him being a top prospect for this years (2004) draft and that he had a very good chance of going in the first round but not many around here belived in me. But I just loved his game!

He has the size, skills and phenomenal hockey sense. He sees the ice so well and can find the open man everywhere on the ice. In my opinion that is his best attribute. He sees the ice much like Peter Forsberg and Igor Larionov. Loves to hold the puck and wait for the best oppertunity to creat a scoring chance. Great patience.

Now to the downside which is the reason why he didn´t go in the top-20. He lacks top notch foot speed and is pretty weak for a guy of his size. He also doasn´t use his body as much as he could have. He NEEDS to get his act togather and start hitting people. I have talked to his father about this, his agent has talked about it as well as many NHL scouts last season but he just doasn´t seem to get it. In some games he made 2-3 great hits and completely leveled the guys but than it could go 5 games before he made the next big hit. I know that he isn´t going to be a banger in the NHL, but he just needs more grit to his game.

I know the guy who was in charge of the pick of Carl Söderberg for the Blues, Ville Sarin. He was here in Malmö for at least 5 games last season and when I talked to him he ws very impressed by his performances. I also think that I know when he decided to add him to his personal list. In a game agains Luleå J-20 he totaly made a fool of Johan Fransson (the other top prospect for 2004) by stealing the puck while short handed and slipping it through Fransson`s legs for a 2-on-1 where the other guy scored on an open net. Ville looked at me and he was laughing out laud while putting down the pen in his note book. He also made a grin with his face, like "Yep, I want this guy!"

For now the other guys just seem to have a better chance of reaching theire potential as of now. He still has tons of upside and my opinion could change during this season.. who knows..

and with that, ladies and gentlemen, we have the definitive Carl Soderberg post. Thank you, Mr Zzzzzz....

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
Mr. Zzzz said:
no problemo.. :)

Mr. Zzzz make sure you drop in on the Blues board occasionally and drop us a hint as to how Carl is doing. Thanks

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
RaTcine said:
wow
thanks dude

You think he could end up on the Blues' top6?

For sure. He has great upside as he has "almost" all the tools to be a very, very good player indeed. But as I`ve said before he needs to adress some of his weaknesses first. I belive that he´ll either be a top-6 guy or he won´t play in the NHL. He doasn´t seem to have what it takes to be a defensive forward or grinder on the 4th line.

Last edited:

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
CuSa_1 said:
Mr. Zzzz make sure you drop in on the Blues board occasionally and drop us a hint as to how Carl is doing. Thanks

I can also mention this when I`am on the run.

Carl was on the way to the WHL and the Calgary Hitmen during the season but in the end he decided to stay in Malmö and play here. His father and the agent wanted him to move on to the CHL because they think that he would be better of in the major junior.

Back in 2003 he was attending a summer camp with his agency in Canada where he was the second scoring leader behind the one and only, Sidney Crosby. He outshined tons of other prospects at the time. That´s why they thought that he would be better of in the CHL. I belive also that the 2-year signing was also in the back of theire heads.

But Carl made the right move and stayed here where he will hone his game and hopefully play on the senior national team in a couple of years. This year he will spend the most of his time centering the 3rd line where he should be getting a solid amount of ice-time.

He should be in the NHL by the age of 22.

Last edited:

guitaraholic*

wow.... can't wait to see him develop. Again, I just have a gut feeling that he's going to be a top 6 player for the Blues, and a good one. it's very cool that we actually get to talk to someone who knows Carl and his game so well. Threads like this are why I love HFBoards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->