Carl Söderberg

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Well, in his most recent game he was the best player on the ice. I can tell you that much.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
How has he looked this season?

Seriously one of our best players. Very strong to the net, great wrister and good reactions with the stick. Sometimes he flops around the ice and he takes hits weirdly, good but not amazing defensively, but I can’t complain.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
With one eye.

PRg0.gif

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Can he play wing? May be he will be a very good 2way winger on second line for still 2 or 3 year.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
I've been impressed at the consistency of his effort given that he especially mailed it in during the disaster season (Bednar's lack of trust in him back then obviously contributed). He seems to take the middle-sixer anchor role to heart. I also love his playing style - he has an odd way of skating and distributing the puck but it works for him. Hope he gets to develop chemistry with Rants as he can really dish it - with better wingers I could see him having 10 more assists at this point.

His game obviously does not rely on speed and he has relatively few NHL games without significant injuries, so I'm hopeful we can keep him in his role beyond his contract.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I've been impressed at the consistency of his effort given that he especially mailed it in during the disaster season (Bednar's lack of trust in him back then obviously contributed). He seems to take the middle-sixer anchor role to heart. I also love his playing style - he has an odd way of skating and distributing the puck but it works for him. Hope he gets to develop chemistry with Rants as he can really dish it - with better wingers I could see him having 10 more assists at this point.

His game obviously does not rely on speed and he has relatively few NHL games without significant injuries, so I'm hopeful we can keep him in his role beyond his contract.
In Bednar's defense it was rumored that Soda wasn't taking very well the new defensive role Bednar was giving him and that affected his play a lot. He was also taken off the 2nd PP unit which didn't help as well. Last season he embraced that role and that's when his play took off and Bednar started relying on him heavily. With his play he earned his spot back on the 2nd PP unit.

The problem that year could have been a communication problem between the two.

Reactions: zcf

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
In Bednar's defense it was rumored that Soda wasn't taking very well the new defensive role Bednar was giving him and that affected his play a lot. He was also taken off the 2nd PP unit which didn't help as well. Last season he embraced that role and that's when his play took off and Bednar started relying on him heavily. With his play he earned his spot back on the 2nd PP unit.

The problem that year could have been a communication problem between the two.

I think that's very fair. Soda had been very clear when he was traded that he adapts difficultly to change, as evidenced by his reluctance to cross the Atlantic at all. He is a great fit on the team at this point so here's to hoping that he sticks around and keeps a good level. :nod:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Outside of the top line, he's been our best player all season and I don't really think it's close.

Consistent effort every night, gets hard minutes, kills penalties, plays a heavy game, and lately has been in a real bad mood so he's been taking liberties with guys, which is nice to see on this team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd have honestly loved to see Soda come over in 2007... I imagine he would have been a complete beast in his prime.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He has been great and deserves a lot more credit than he has gotten because he gets overshadowed by the top line. I have to eat some major crow here because I was done with him after the 2016-17 season and I didn't think he'd bounce back to being a competent player for the Avs/Bednar after that. I also didn't think that contract would age well but there's only one year left and he's having arguably the best season of his career right now.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd have honestly loved to see Soda come over in 2007... I imagine he would have been a complete beast in his prime.
Am I crazy for thinking he might be a safer bet for another contract because he didn't come over sooner? His body hasn't taken the abuse the NHL gives 18 year olds from day one. He might just prove to survive another contract.

Reactions: alexpj and MarkT

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

he was,,,i saw him in his prime, he played for my team for 10 years.....mostly in SHL-2 (swedish ahl), you can just imagine how dominant he was in such a low level league. but ever since he got that eye injury he stopped playing physical.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Am I crazy for thinking he might be a safer bet for another contract because he didn't come over sooner? His body hasn't taken the abuse the NHL gives 18 year olds from day one. He might just prove to survive another contract.

He did still play in Europe. I dont think he'll retire after this contract but we should start to see some kind of decline in his game here soon enough.

That said he had been truly a monster this season. The only reason secondary scoring hasn't been a bigger issue this year is because of Big Ole Card scoring 20+ Goals and 45+ points.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->