Rumor: Carl Klingberg headed to Russia

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
was reminded of him during this morning's Sweden-Russia Worlds game on NHL network, he and his brother played (Hank's twin too)

hadn't seen this February'17 article before today, it might have been cited here in roster thread ...

http://www.aftonbladet.se/senastenytt/ttsport/sport/article24387887.ab

" ... Still living the dream of games in the NHL, however, remain. The contract with Zug expires this summer, the only question is how the New York Rangers down to the Swede's desire to play on the other side of the Atlantic.
- NHL, there is of course the dream. I want to return to the NHL, no question about it. But it comes to me and Rangers agree in that case, he says. ... "

This is really interesting. Is his contract up in the KHL?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is really interesting. Is his contract up in the KHL?

He is in the NLA which has a transfer agreement.

I interpret this as he wants a 1-way contract though, reassurance to get a good shot at a NHL spot. He sounds a bit sceptical, which I don't for a second believe we would hesitate to just give him a contract.

He also say that it's up to the Rangers, and that "it's only 1.5 more year, if nothing happens in New York, I can stay in [the NLA] it's not a long time". I take that as he is counting on becoming an UFA in the NHL if we won't offer him a spot. But it's unclear.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He had a decent year in the Swiss league. I don't see the Rangers guaranteeing him a spot. My idea is he's something like a Stalberg--maybe not as good. He's got speed and size--up and down the wing--not particularly creative. I don't think the Rangers would guarantee Stalberg a spot either. Not if they come back with most of the group they have now anyway.

It's possible he could win a job on the Rangers but it's not clear to me that he's better than a Jensen, Beck or Puempel. Personally I'm not too jazzed about him. If he wants back in the NHL the Rangers could move his rights to Vegas or somewhere where his chances were better. No problem giving him a two way.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If he's suited for 4th line duty we could use him this season once we lose one of fast Lindberg or grabner

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Eco- Yeah, that is my take too. For us it don't make sense to promise him a spot, who knows how our roster looks down the road. On the other side, Klingberg has played over 310 games in the AHL. He is 26. At least halfway into his career. 2/3s. Time to earn some money.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Stahlberg
Freddie Shoestring
Klingberg

Same mould

Sign and trade?
Part of a Vegas deal maybe
Would be good to get something back for giving Stempniak away
Asset management

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Klingberg is OK, but no reason to go out of our way for him. Lindberg was on fire and carried his line with Klingberg during Klingberg's few games with us. Don't get me wrong...Klingberg is a pretty big guy and a hard worker...but limited hockey IQ and no particular dazzling skill keeps him out of the NHL, IMO. I also recall that he fights like a girl and suffered a couple of injuries during his few games with us...one of those being a concussion he received after a hit on the corner boards. IMO, he's a little soft for his size. If someone DOES give him a shot, his ceiling is 4th line. And our 4th line is already in really good shape. Hopefully, Las Vegas doesn't force us to look for more 4th liners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad