Rumor: Carl Klingberg headed to Russia

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
not sure if this article posted already or if this was the original source behind the tweet

i will hope its premature, and maybe Schoeny and Gort change his mind

http://www.championat.com/hockey/ne...j-vinnipega-klingberg-perejdjot-vtorpedo.html

HOCKEY June 12, 2015, Friday. 7:28
Forward of the system of "Rangers" Klingberg goes into "Torpedo"

As the "championship" in the near future "Torpedo" replenished player Carl Klingberg . 24-year-old striker will be the second Swedish rookie Nizhny Novgorod after Linus Videllya . Klingberg played the last four seasons in North America in the "Winnipeg" in the middle of last season, he was traded in the "Rangers", and after the contract has decided to return to Europe. Last season, on account of the Swede 41 (17 + 24) points in 64 games in the AHL, and two games for "Winnipeg" without a score. Also, "Torpedo" is interested in attacking the Riga "Dinamo"

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He said a week ago he wanted to stay so if he signs he had an NHL out clause if he makes the Rangers

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Without a doubt Tanner Glass was the worst player that the Rangers gave regular ice time to last year. Saying over and over again how he is the worst player in the league though is tiresome and ignorant. There are a lot of players who are worse as players and there are a lot of players who have much more horrible contracts. Taking a look around the Rangers own division and setting the other 3 divisions aside:

The Flyers--who here would rather have Vinny LeCavalier's 3 remaining years at a $4.5 mil per year clip? Or how about Andrew MacDonald's 5 year $25 mil contract? Is there anyone here who really think that the likes of Zac Rinaldo, Ryan White, Radko Gudas, Ray Emery, Carlo Coloaicovo or Pierre Edouard Bellemare would all be great improvements? Maybe Bellemare--I don't know.

The Pens--Craig Adams? Rob Scuderi (2 years left at $3.375 mil per)? Maxim Lapierre? How about Steve Downie?--there is some talent there as long as you don't give a **** how many dumb ass penalties he'll take for you.

The Isles--3 years of Mikhail Grabovski at $5 mil per and 3 years of Nikolai Kulemin at $4.187 mil per. I think I just threw up in my mouth. Cal Clutterbuck--nice 4th line player. Who pays 4th line wings $2.75 mil per year? 2 years left of that. Anyone know off the top of their heads how much a 38 year old Lubomir Visnovsky made last year? $6 mil for a guy who is not only small and ancient but a concussion waiting to happen. Eric Boulton hardly saw the ice last year. But he was healthy and on their roster all season long. Tyler Kennedy.

The Devils--Ryane Clowe's contract has 3 more years to run at $4.850 per clip. Tuomo Ruuttu made $3.8 mil last year--he put up 7 goals and 13 points. That's pretty bad. Just about as bad Dainus Zubrus made $3.1 mil and put up 4 goals and 10 points. But worst of all Martin Havlat made $6 mil and scored 5 goals and 14 points. And then there's Captain Salvador. Peter '****ing' Harrold, Stephen Gionta and Mark Fraser. WTF!

Columbus--I don't know about anyone else here but I'd rather have Tanner Glass for two more years at $1.45 mil per than David Clarkson for the next 5 at $5.250 mil per year. And Rene Bourque was so piss poor for the Canadiens before they moved him along that he actually got some AHL games. Still one year left for him at $3.333 mil. Jared Boll is a fighter like Glass. Probably a worse player too and he doesn't even penalty kill at all. He makes $1.7 mil. And then there's still Jack Skille, Corey Tropp and Justin Falk.

Carolina--Alexander Semin did put up 6 goals and 19 points and we all know he's a talented guy but he's also a **** head with 3 more years at $7 mil a year. Jack Hillen and Brett Bellemore aren't better players than Glass either.

and finally the Caps--I like Brooks Laich. I don't like Brooks Laich at $4.5 mil for the next two years if all he's going to put up is 7 goals and 20 points. Michael Latta, John Erskine, Tim Gleason.

Some might argue that they'd rather have a bunch of the above on the team than Tanner Glass but I'd rather have Glass on our team than those listed above. The point is he is not the worst player in the league--he's not even close and if I did the entire league this would be about 3 times longer. He just happens to be the worst player on the Rangers.

All of those forwards except Rinaldo and Adams are better than Glass not considering contracts.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
Without a doubt Tanner Glass was the worst player that the Rangers gave regular ice time to last year. Saying over and over again how he is the worst player in the league though is tiresome and ignorant. There are a lot of players who are worse as players and there are a lot of players who have much more horrible contracts. Taking a look around the Rangers own division and setting the other 3 divisions aside:

The Flyers--who here would rather have Vinny LeCavalier's 3 remaining years at a $4.5 mil per year clip? Or how about Andrew MacDonald's 5 year $25 mil contract? Is there anyone here who really think that the likes of Zac Rinaldo, Ryan White, Radko Gudas, Ray Emery, Carlo Coloaicovo or Pierre Edouard Bellemare would all be great improvements? Maybe Bellemare--I don't know.

The Pens--Craig Adams? Rob Scuderi (2 years left at $3.375 mil per)? Maxim Lapierre? How about Steve Downie?--there is some talent there as long as you don't give a **** how many dumb ass penalties he'll take for you.

The Isles--3 years of Mikhail Grabovski at $5 mil per and 3 years of Nikolai Kulemin at $4.187 mil per. I think I just threw up in my mouth. Cal Clutterbuck--nice 4th line player. Who pays 4th line wings $2.75 mil per year? 2 years left of that. Anyone know off the top of their heads how much a 38 year old Lubomir Visnovsky made last year? $6 mil for a guy who is not only small and ancient but a concussion waiting to happen. Eric Boulton hardly saw the ice last year. But he was healthy and on their roster all season long. Tyler Kennedy.

The Devils--Ryane Clowe's contract has 3 more years to run at $4.850 per clip. Tuomo Ruuttu made $3.8 mil last year--he put up 7 goals and 13 points. That's pretty bad. Just about as bad Dainus Zubrus made $3.1 mil and put up 4 goals and 10 points. But worst of all Martin Havlat made $6 mil and scored 5 goals and 14 points. And then there's Captain Salvador. Peter '****ing' Harrold, Stephen Gionta and Mark Fraser. WTF!

Columbus--I don't know about anyone else here but I'd rather have Tanner Glass for two more years at $1.45 mil per than David Clarkson for the next 5 at $5.250 mil per year. And Rene Bourque was so piss poor for the Canadiens before they moved him along that he actually got some AHL games. Still one year left for him at $3.333 mil. Jared Boll is a fighter like Glass. Probably a worse player too and he doesn't even penalty kill at all. He makes $1.7 mil. And then there's still Jack Skille, Corey Tropp and Justin Falk.

Carolina--Alexander Semin did put up 6 goals and 19 points and we all know he's a talented guy but he's also a **** head with 3 more years at $7 mil a year. Jack Hillen and Brett Bellemore aren't better players than Glass either.

and finally the Caps--I like Brooks Laich. I don't like Brooks Laich at $4.5 mil for the next two years if all he's going to put up is 7 goals and 20 points. Michael Latta, John Erskine, Tim Gleason.

Some might argue that they'd rather have a bunch of the above on the team than Tanner Glass but I'd rather have Glass on our team than those listed above. The point is he is not the worst player in the league--he's not even close and if I did the entire league this would be about 3 times longer. He just happens to be the worst player on the Rangers.

I think this was well written and well thought out. Thank you for sharing.

I think the frustration with Glass stems from him taking away playing time from Sheppard, Stempniak, Kilingberg, Lindberg, Bourque, whomever, could have made more of a contribution. I don't think that Glass was the worst player with the worst contract in the NHL - I agree, he is far from that. What I do think, however, is that he is the worst player on the rangers - by a mile - and that his presence negatively affected AV's ability to roll 4 solid lines.

FWIW, in 3 years, we will certainly be in the above conversation with the contracts of Girardi and Staal, but that is a conversation for another day/thread.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
All of those forwards except Rinaldo and Adams are better than Glass not considering contracts.

I guess that's progress. Flat out skill level though I'd throw in Boll, White and Lapierre. I wouldn't say any of them are better than Glass. There are a bunch of players around the league still managing to survive (and whether they're goons or not) more on desire and the willingness to do whatever it takes. There have always been players like that.

Is Glass overpaid? I would say so. If he were 800K or less I'd be a lot more okay with him. Were we to move him?---I'd be fine with that as well. As far as contracts go though--the Devils, the Flyers, the Bluejackets, the Penguins, the Islanders and Carolina all have a far worse contract on their books than we have on ours--and sometimes they have multiples of contracts worse.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stempniak was underused and probably wasn't going to stay, so we got something for him while we could. The concept, I understand.

I just wish we got something more useful for him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
At the end of the day, a guy that plays less than 7 minutes a night should NEVER be the reason you win or lose a game.

If that is the conclusion you are drawing here, then you are barking up the wrong tree for a scape goat.

Scorers not scoring are the reason we lost.

AV getting schooled at home is the reason we lost.

Glass? Not even top 10 on the list of reasons why this team lost.

When scorers don't score, sometimes depth players do instead and the team wins. Sometimes those guys are on the fourth line. We saw this happen last year multiple times.

It's not one of the top reasons we lost, but it's certainly a reason the team wasn't as good as it could have been, and when the margin is close, everything that fits in that category contributes to losing.

I've said it in multiple threads and I'll say it again here, if McD was healthy they may have won that game. If Zucc was in and McD was healthy they would have likely won. The injuries are the first, second and third reason they lost IMO. However, having a neutered fourth line didn't help one bit. Especially going 11/7 with Glass in over Sheppard. That was idiotic.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Hence the rumor tag ;)

982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpg

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Glass plays because AV likes him. This isn't a hard concept.

Klingerberg couldn't break winnipeg's depth chart either. Let's not pretend this is a big deal.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Best of luck to him. He's going to get the money there that he can't get here.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He made 1.2 so he will get a raise and is gone. Play Lindberg

Klingberg sparing is fine

RFA's get automatic raises as they progress in accordance with CBA rules so that their teams can protect them. Sheppard will be a UFA this summer. He might or might not get more than the $1.3 mil he made last year. If he makes more it won't be a lot more. He pretty much is a prototypical 4th line handyman winger. Good size--average skating, decent grit though not really a tough guy-occasionally puts up points--does not penalty kill--can take face-offs. He'll probably have a few teams after him but I don't think anyone is going to break the bank for him.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Tanner Glass only stood out in the playoffs because his play was so abysmal during the regular season. Glass set the bar so low for himself that anything positive in the playoffs was a plus. He was a downgrade from Dorsett and Carcillo and by a wide margin.

As far as Klingberg is concerned good for him. He is probably getting paid more money in Russia and his window for maximizing his value is closing. Perhaps he has a good season and like MZA, is signed in March by the Rangers to add depth for the playoff run.

This.

Do people not realize that the ONLY reason Glass "stood out" in the playoffs was because he didn't suck as bad as he did throughout the entire season?

Glass was still the worst player on our team in the playoffs.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This.

Do people not realize that the ONLY reason Glass "stood out" in the playoffs was because he didn't suck as bad as he did throughout the entire season?

Lol maybe but the team says they need bigger bodies and at least glass bangs . I would like him h
Gone and then play a cheaper kid but I think AV likes him

BarbaraAlphanse

With Glass being moved, I think, with near certainty... I think Klingberg has a clear road to being on our 4th line with Lindberg and Moore.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's about Stempniak, not Klingberg

So replace one name with the other. It doesn't change the point.

I was at my parents house today. My parents have a black cat named Buffy. Buffy is at least a dozen years old who is now 4.5 lbs and no longer has any concept of what a litter box is. The vet also thinks she has a tumor on her kidney. Long story short, Vet recommends euthansia but my mom says no because she loves that rickety old cat and would rather have it alive and pooping on the carpet and the couch then to put it out of its misery.

Tanner Glass is that cat. No matter how much of an inconvenience he is, the decision maker would rather wait for it to run its course then to put it down.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This.

Personally I'd opt for St. Louis as our worst player in the playoffs. MSL was just the weakest player on the puck and whatever line he was put on was ineffective offensively and not very good defensively. Glass was next worse though with a caveat and the caveat is he actually played better in the playoffs than he did in the regular season whilst there were numerous particularly among our forwards whose games were worse in the playoffs than they were in the regular season---Nash, Stepan, Hagelin, Moore, Klein, Staal. The guys who played better in the playoffs than the regular season--Brassard, Miller, Fast, Boyle, Glass. Too many plumbers upped their game--and not enough of the stars.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
mods at your leisure, I think he has officially signed (Yardbarker, but I could have that wrong).

FWIW, I think we retain his NHL rights, at least for a while, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad