Confirmed with Link: Carl Gunnarsson signs two-year extension ($1.75m AAV)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I am torn on this deal. Its a good deal but I was hoping we'd do something to upgrade on either Gunnarsson, Maroon and/or Allen. With signing Gunnarsson, and word from Lebrun that we aren't interested in moving Allen, it looks like we are content to just bring the band back together. We can still upgrade on Maroon, but probably won't have the cap to do too much there. We can also bring in a PP coach, but Berube's press conference made that seem iffy. So we are just hoping for internal improvement, which is definitely possible, but there is also room for some players to regress as well. It is hard to atch lightening in a bottle twice, and a lot had to break right for us to catch it the first time.

Good signing for a versatile player at a low AAV with short term. Can't complain about that. But still was hoping for some more radical surprise this off season.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I am torn on this deal. Its a good deal but I was hoping we'd do something to upgrade on either Gunnarsson, Maroon and/or Allen. With signing Gunnarsson, and word from Lebrun that we aren't interested in moving Allen, it looks like we are content to just bring the band back together. We can still upgrade on Maroon, but probably won't have the cap to do too much there. We can also bring in a PP coach, but Berube's press conference made that seem iffy. So we are just hoping for internal improvement, which is definitely possible, but there is also room for some players to regress as well. It is hard to atch lightening in a bottle twice, and a lot had to break right for us to catch it the first time.

Good signing for a versatile player at a low AAV with short term. Can't complain about that. But still was hoping for some more radical surprise this off season.

There are several players who can actually improve from last year. I can see Dunn, Ed, Thomas, Parayko, Barbie, Schwartz all having better regular seasons. Throw in a healthy Fabbri and possibly Kyrou and we have Binny and Chief for an entire year. We were a 99 pt team last and could easily be 10+ pts better.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
There are several players who can actually improve from last year. I can see Dunn, Ed, Thomas, Parayko, Barbie, Schwartz all having better regular seasons. Throw in a healthy Fabbri and possibly Kyrou and we have Binny and Chief for an entire year. We were a 99 pt team last and could easily be 10+ pts better.

That's regular season which I am not too concerned about. I am more concerned about post season where we were inches form being eliminated by Dallas and given a fortunate win on a missed call against Boston. I'm not trying to take anything away from our cup run. More so I want to show how slim the margin for victory is. We had some of those guys you mentioned show up big in the playoffs and still were really close to being eliminated.

Even just looking at the regular season, while all those guys COULD improve, we also have guys that could regress. That was far and away ROR's best season, and it was Perron's 2nd best ppg season. Often players have sophmore slumps, so Thomas could falter. I will all but guarantee Binnington regresses off of his regular season numbers since he will be carrying a starter's, or at least 1A, workload over a full season. Plus, teams have had a chance to get a bit of the book on him.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
That's regular season which I am not too concerned about. I am more concerned about post season where we were inches form being eliminated by Dallas and given a fortunate win on a missed call against Boston. I'm not trying to take anything away from our cup run. More so I want to show how slim the margin for victory is. We had some of those guys you mentioned show up big in the playoffs and still were really close to being eliminated.

Even just looking at the regular season, while all those guys COULD improve, we also have guys that could regress. That was far and away ROR's best season, and it was Perron's 2nd best ppg season. Often players have sophmore slumps, so Thomas could falter. I will all but guarantee Binnington regresses off of his regular season numbers since he will be carrying a starter's, or at least 1A, workload over a full season. Plus, teams have had a chance to get a bit of the book on him.

All legitimate concerns.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He must be happy in St. Louis. Very happy.
Yes. He gave a "hometown discount" so The Blues can add some help, and he is assured being in another "run for The Cup". He may not be on The Cup Winners next season, but is assured of being on a serious contender. That helps The Blues, immensely. I'll be happy to see them add a solid left side defefenceman, or another scoring forward.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Professional sports salaries are staggering to "just us folks." I know they are entertainers, but wow.

In Gunnarson's case, he's probably left $2 million or $3 million on the table signing this deal, but he's already made $22 million playing in the NHL.

If he manages the money he's already got, he's set for life - along with his children, grandchildren, and his favorite niece and nephew. He'll retire at age 34 and never work another day in his life.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I don't think this deal makes it less likely we upgrade somewhere. Army loves his defensive depth and this is close to the going rate for a quality #7 who you expect to play 30+ games. I didn't see the Blues upgrading LD while letting go of Gunnar AND Eddy. If you want to upgrade the LD, keeping Gunnar at $1.75 makes more sense than keeping Eddy at $3+.

I've laid out my thoughts about the goaltending and Maroon in other threads and don't want to derail the Gunny thread too much, so I'm going to end my response here.

Reactions: 68Blues

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I don't think this deal makes it less likely we upgrade somewhere. Army loves his defensive depth and this is close to the going rate for a quality #7 who you expect to play 30+ games. I didn't see the Blues upgrading LD while letting go of Gunnar AND Eddy. If you want to upgrade the LD, keeping Gunnar at $1.75 makes more sense than keeping Eddy at $3+.

I've laid out my thoughts about the goaltending and Maroon in other threads and don't want to derail the Gunny thread too much, so I'm going to end my response here.

With us extending a QO to Eddy, I don't think it's likely we move on from him this summer.

I think this signing is great value, but more so to buy our D prospects more time to develop in the AHL playing more minutes than they'd get on the big team.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
JBow and now Gunny, these guys know this team can make another deep run next year. Really happy for this deal. Especially since the young prospects we have on the left side don’t seem quite ready. This makes the deal even sweeter.

I haven’t seen a word mentioned about JBow anywhere. Did he erupt at a discount too?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I haven’t seen a word mentioned about JBow anywhere. Did he erupt at a discount too?
What do you mean exactly?

Jbow happened awhile ago

We signed bouwmeester to a 1 year 3.25 mil extension for the 2019-2020 season back in the month of april. He was going to be a free agent in this offseason if we didnt sign that extension

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
What do you mean exactly?

Jbow happened awhile ago

We signed bouwmeester to a 1 year 3.25 mil extension for the 2019-2020 season back in the month of april. He was going to be a free agent in this offseason if we didnt sign that extension

Thanks for that info. I did not realize that at all. That was supposed to be re-up not erupt. This I phone likes to change words to what it thinks you mean instead of what you actually print.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad