Carl Gunnarsson retires

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Was at the Finals game 2 where he had the game winner. What an unbelievable shot from him and it came not long after he rang another insanely hard one off the pipe. Heard that pipe ringing through the stadium after that shot... Solid player with a relatively long career and not many can say they scored an OT game winner in the Cup Finals for the Cup winning team. Hope he enjoys retirement.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Was great on the Leafs, very underrated dman

I'll never forget him refusing to clear the puck up the boards when it was 4-2 vs Boston with a minute to play...Overall a good player, but on both goals he had the opportunity to clear it up the boards and just didn't do it. That's what I'll always remember him for :(

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Respectable $3 million per year solid Middle 4 Defensive Defenseman in his prime. One of those "ooh so underrated" types when he played for bad Leafs teams the way they always over-glorify random role players, but was a solid contributor for St. Louis in the year they won their Cup.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
200w.gif

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Respectable $3 million per year solid Middle 4 Defensive Defenseman in his prime. One of those "ooh so underrated" types when he played for bad Leafs teams the way they always over-glorify random role players, but was a solid contributor for St. Louis in the year they won their Cup.
nah he was always good. He didn't all of a sudden become good as soon as he was traded to St. Louis. That doesn't make sense lol.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
nah he was always good. He didn't all of a sudden become good as soon as he was traded to St. Louis. That doesn't make sense lol.
He was solid for Toronto, like he was solid for St. Louis. I don't know if he was ever one of the "most underrated" players in the League like he was routinely called in Toronto. Just a solid middle 4 Defensive Defenseman. I think he played less minutes on St. Louis than he did on Toronto because they were a better team with a better defensive core.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

He wasn’t underrated coming to St. Louis at all. If he was, he wouldn’t have had Polak as a return coming off surgery.

In fact, Toronto probably would’ve gotten more if he wasn’t coming off of surgery.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I always have to do a bit of a double take when I realize that he played 7 seasons with the Blues. I think that's just kind of the player he was -- the kind of guy who was unspectacular but could go out there and give you quality minutes -- which is an underrated quality to have. Also has one the defining goals in Blues history (and a pretty good story to go along with it)!

Reactions: Captain Creampuff

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I'm sure he could keep playing in the NHL if he wanted, particularly with expansion and some teams who will be losing depth.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
One of those beauty dmen who arent noticeable. And that's meant as a good thing. Quietly came into the league, quietly left. Read his retirement letter today and you can tell he just gets 'it' and legit just loves the game.

Congrats on your career Carl. Congrats on hosting Lord Stanley.

Reactions: Captain Creampuff

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I'm sure he could keep playing in the NHL if he wanted, particularly with expansion and some teams who will be losing depth.

His season ended in February with a knee injury. They said he was officially out for the season before they even knew the full extent of the diagnosis. It's entirely possible he couldn't play anymore.

Reactions: Flukeshot

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Amazingly consistent 2nd pairing defenseman. His GWG in Gam 2 of the finals is etched into my memory. Have a good rest of your life Gunnar.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
His season ended in February with a knee injury. They said he was officially out for the season before they even knew the full extent of the diagnosis. It's entirely possible he couldn't play anymore.
Did not know that, thanks for that info.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad