News Article: Carl Gunnarsson Announces Retirement

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Best of luck to him. Not too surprised to hear this.

Our defense is taking shape for next season. Maybe we still add someone, but guys like Scandella and Mikkola stepping up and bringing consistency would really solve a lot of our issues. With their skill set, there’s really no reason they can’t fill in for Gunnarsson and Edmundson.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Damn...i was quietly hoping he'd rehab and try to make it back, here or elsewhere. Glad he got a Cup before his time was through. Enjoy retirement Gunnarsson.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'm glad he got his Cup with us. I think even without the injury this year he was probably heading for retirement this summer but it's too bad he couldn't play out his final year.

Remember for the future jeopardy question "this St. Louis Blue scored the first ever game winning goal in franchise history in a Stanley Cup Final series"

The Answer: "Who is Carl Gunnarsson"

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I expected him to retire after this season even before the injury. He's been a great player for the Blues and will be fondly remembered in St Louis forever.

Its shocking how many guys from the Cup team are gone now, retired or moved on. But players like Steen, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson were a big part of the fabric of the Blues for a long time.

Who else is gone? Pietro, Maroon, Fabbri, Allen, Edmundson. I'm probably forgetting someone, but was trying to do it off the top of my head. Don't say Del Zotto.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Man it sucks that the Blues have had a few Blues seemingly forced into early retirement due to injury. First Steen, now Gunnarsson. It makes me all the more grateful that I got to watch them lift that cup in 2019. Congrats on a great career Gunny!

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Man it sucks that the Blues have had a few Blues seemingly forced into early retirement due to injury. First Steen, now Gunnarsson. It makes me all the more grateful that I got to watch them lift that cup in 2019. Congrats on a great career Gunny!
And Jbo. Kinda like Gunny he might’ve been retiring either way, but still it does suck.

Reactions: Blanick

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Gunnarsson is only 34, will be 35 in November. Kind of hard to believe that he was planning on retiring this early.
That’s fair, for some reason in my mind he was a couple years older lol. He probably could’ve got a 6th/7th dman contract from somebody if healthy.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Gunnar’s attitude has always been that of a winner and that’s before he ever hoisted a Cup. Sometimes that’s all you need. Ask Pat Maroon about that.

His skills are so underrated and he’s one of the few guys I’ve seen who can slot ANYWHERE in your lineup and pair with players better than him and be able to play WITH THEM. Underrated af.

Immortalized with his name on the Cup with the first Blues team to win the Cup. We will win more Cups but players like him opened that door for us and ended our pain. Made us believe and made us look forward to a better future by helping kill the jinx.

We miss you, man.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Poor Sundqvist! Steen retires, Gunnarsson retires, and De La Rose returns to Sweden. No one left with whom to speak Swedish! :(
Wait. What’s that? Is Gabe Landeskog Swedish? Oh my lord…he is! Doug Armstrong you sneaky bastard.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Gunnar’s attitude has always been that of a winner and that’s before he ever hoisted a Cup. Sometimes that’s all you need. Ask Pat Maroon about that.

His skills are so underrated and he’s one of the few guys I’ve seen who can slot ANYWHERE in your lineup and pair with players better than him and be able to play WITH THEM. Underrated af.

Immortalized with his name on the Cup with the first Blues team to win the Cup. We will win more Cups but players like him opened that door for us and ended our pain. Made us believe and made us look forward to a better future by helping kill the jinx.

We miss you, man.

He was our best #1 center, for sure.

Jokes aside, we were lucky to have him.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Boom Boom with one of the biggest goals in history with the rocket in OT of Gm 2 against Boston. We don’t win Cup without that one. It capped off a memorable OT domination by the Blues. Thanks Boom Boom!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->