News Article: Carl Gunnarsson Announces Retirement

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I think we undervalue what he brought to us when he was here. A player who can fit alongside a 1D while not being close to that level, but not holding his elite partner back either. He was plug and play and forget about him in a way you wish you had 2-3 of those type of guys.

Also, scored one of the most important goals in team history. OT winner in the franchises first Finals win in the year we won in 7. I love Gunnar to death, and wish him nothing but the best.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I think we undervalue what he brought to us when he was here. A player who can fit alongside a 1D while not being close to that level, but not holding his elite partner back either. He was plug and play and forget about him in a way you wish you had 2-3 of those type of guys.

Also, scored one of the most important goals in team history. OT winner in the franchises first Finals win in the year we won in 7. I love Gunnar to death, and wish him nothing but the best.

Yeah, if we go down 2-0 to Boston as a team that wasn't good at home, we're cooked. That was a huge goal.

He never really got his due, but he was a serviceable defenseman who you rarely noticed in a negative way. I'd kill for that rn.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Love ya Duct Tape Gunnarson, thanks for holding it down with Petro on our Cup run. Enjoy retirement buddeh.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Gunnar was as quiet solid and respectable as they come. Can’t thank him enough for always being that versatile steadying force for us whether he was paired with petro or down with Bortz. He was a stud on the P.K. and the type of player coaches love Savrificed his body for the betterment of his team and was a large part in helping us win the cup, even in a role that’s very unglorified and dam near ignored by fans.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Gunnar was as quiet solid and respectable as they come. Can’t thank him enough for always being that versatile steadying force for us whether he was paired with petro or down with Bortz. He was a stud on the P.K. and the type of player coaches love Savrificed his body for the betterment of his team and was a large part in helping us win the cup, even in a role that’s very unglorified and dam near ignored by fans.

It makes me super happy he got the game 2 goal specifically because it gave him a legitimate huge moment.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

He was a reliable pro who did everything asked of him and often more. Heck, we could have used his steady defensive presence this past season! Happy trails Gunnar!

For those who haven't seen the letter he wrote to hockey on NHL.com, here it is:

Goodbye to the game I love

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I remember back when we were discussing options for who to trade for a LHD partner for Petro, and we ended up getting Bouwmeester, and Gunnar was someone I always thought would be a good fit, so I was always happy he made his way here. He performed exactly how I thought he would too, a solid defenseman that was good enough to play on basically any 5v5 pair, just not as the anchor of the pair. Was great in the locker room and had some big moments with us.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
He was the type of play championship teams have to have. He did his job quietly, did whatever was asked and gave everything he had. You rarely heard his name, but when you looked back at ga,e highlights he always seemed to be making the small key plays. I’ll be more than proud to keep wearing my Gunnarsson gamer.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Another favorite of mine, Thank you Gunnar, Solid player and even a better person. The story about him and Chief at the urinals "One more chance" will always be remembered. Congrats to a great career and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
He was a very steady player. His body wore down as it does for us all as we age. That doesn’t change the fact that he could play with anyone and against anyone and not look overwhelmed. We could really use a defenseman or two that can do that on the squad. It’s too bad we can’t get Gunny to take a pull from the fountain of youth.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
As always when someone retires coming off of an injury, I hope this was a his choice and not forced on by his body. I hope he can live happily and healthily through retirement with no long term adverse effects. I wish him all the best. While never a star, he played an important role for the team.

illininer

Apr 30, 2014
Illinois
For some reason he seemed to be a whipping boy on here quite a bit, which I never really understood. When healthy, the guy was extremely solid. Unfortunately, he just couldn't quite shake the injury bug. He's one of those, along with Bortuzzo, that I saw something towards the end of this season and they'd both been around since like 2014. Was shocked on both parts, because it definitely didn't seem that long ago.

Had a monumental goal in the best Blues season ever and signed a couple of really team friendly, short-term deals(IMO), when he would have made more money elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad