Carey Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victory Ali*

I've watched Price for two years in the WHL and I really think he could be a Vezina winner someday. He has an amazing skill set, but the thing that impresses me is his composure and his maturity.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
That's a common theory that I don't agree with.

And the list of busts from the Q is as long as anywhere. The WHL has turned into the goaltending factory the Q used to be.

Do you anything concrete to back yourself up?

WHL is a goaltending factory? Who are some of the current great NHL goalies who came from the Dub?

Transported Upstater

In my experience on these boards, Carey Price seems to be either very overrated or very underrated.

vcx*

He was the best goalie at camp for the Canadiens. This statement is far from laughable.

He said other goalies, jp laughed at the fact the poster named off a bunch of players that don't the same position as Price.

Now u get it?

Price is a good 'tender of course (i could be biased) but there are plenty of other goaltender prospects that are pretty up there like Rask.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I really dont like the fact that Price isnt in the same class as Skille , Brule , Ryan , Pouliot , Montoya , Toews ... somes of poster never saw him , he got talent , maturity and hard working , why would he bust and another goaler not !?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Do you anything concrete to back yourself up?

WHL is a goaltending factory? Who are some of the current great NHL goalies who came from the Dub?

First of all, 'your' theory isn't yours at all. It was a very popular one that is now old and outdated.

You ask for current NHL stars from the WHL when that has nothing to do with the current state of goaltender development in the WHL. So while you are stuck on your outdated theory, it's easy to show you that it's outdated. Look at the last few drafts. Look at CBS ratings over the last few years. The products of the western goaltending factory won't be stars in the NHL for a few more years, but you'll see it soon enough. It starts with Cam Ward. Soon Josh Harding, Carey Price, Justin Pogge, Leland Irving, Devan Dubnyk, Tyler Plante, Justin Leclerc, Kurt Mucha and others will follow.

I don't blame you for the theory you believe, because the west didn't produce good goalies for a long time. But things have changed and in a few years you will see that.

Regardless, it's just silly to call someone out because of where they come from. Your blanket statement is off base.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I was at the montreal - ottawa game tonight , I saw trevor timmins( director of drafting for the Habs ) and I asked him why not draft Kopitar instead of Price and he told me that he is very confident Price will be a starter in the NHL , he saw that he have the potential to be a top 10 goaltender in the league and he couldnt pass on that .

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site

Why are you laughing? These days, there are quite a few goaltender who can win the Vezina. They might not always be as good after that, like Theodore, but every goaltender can at least be a one year wonder...

And I hope that you're not underrating the skills of Price...he might never be as good as he's supposed to be, but he still have everything to be a top 15 goaltender in the league, and it's hard to deny that.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site

I get it. Any other team drafts a goalie in the top 5 and he's the next Hasek. Habs do it, and he automatically gets downgraded a few notches.

A damned good scouting staff rated him as the 5th best player in an excellent draft year. That says alot about his potential. Will he turn into a dominate starter? Who knows? But to completely discount his potential is truly laughable.

GSK*

I made my statement that I would take Price, over those prospect (some of use play NHL), not because I talk through my hat. I've been in CB for barely 1 months, I've seen him play a lot of time, I've been at Habs pre-season game or camp...

He's so hudge, got many quick reflex and with a goaltender coach like Roland Melancon, this guys would become a elite franchise players.

Back in the days I was crying to not have take Brule and Kopitar(he was picking latee imo), but after what I saw on On ice Center of Brule, I'm pretty happy with all things I've saw from Price.

Price IS the habs prospect, its not a knock-on Grabovsky-Kostitsyn-Chipchura, but the guys who'll be good at his start in the big league, thats gonna be Price. (Better then Cam F"N Ward).

And for the other who think that just a homer, I was gating the Habs in the late 90' when Kilger-Darby-Ward was on the roster...

I was watching most of the Detroit games...

Now Montreal is in my heart for ever, but I watch like may be 60 habs game in a year, 20 of CBJ and may be 10 of Detroit.

And I would pick Price like a prospect over all of the prospect of CBJ and DET.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
First of all, 'your' theory isn't yours at all. It was a very popular one that is now old and outdated.

If it's outdated, and I still use it, then it is my theory.

You ask for current NHL stars from the WHL when that has nothing to do with the current state of goaltender development in the WHL. So while you are stuck on your outdated theory, it's easy to show you that it's outdated. Look at the last few drafts. Look at CBS ratings over the last few years.

This relates to my point, it does not disprove it. WHL goalies are highly regarded, but not rightfully so. The style of their league makes them look good. WHL goalies are overrated, and the "rebuttles" you keep bringing up proves that. You show that they are in high regard, but cannot bring up the only point that would matter; That is proof that the WHL is a goaltending factory based on what they're doing in the NHL.

The products of the western goaltending factory won't be stars in the NHL for a few more years, but you'll see it soon enough.

And until that happens, and I don't think it will, I'm right and you're wrong.

Bruinster*

I get it. Any other team drafts a goalie in the top 5 and he's the next Hasek. Habs do it, and he automatically gets downgraded a few notches.

A damned good scouting staff rated him as the 5th best player in an excellent draft year. That says alot about his potential. Will he turn into a dominate starter? Who knows? But to completely discount his potential is truly laughable.

Excuse me but this is laughable, how this is downgrade by laughing about someone who said he's a future vezina trophy even if he never play a single game in the NHL ?

And please you OVERATED your habs scouting staff, who was the last Habs draft pick who turn as a star in the NHL I see none in the last 15Y ???

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Excuse me but this is laughable, how this is downgrade by laughing about someone who said he's a future vezina trophy even if he never play a single game in the NHL ?

And please you OVERATED your habs scouting staff, who was the last Habs draft pick who turn as a star in the NHL I see none in the last 15Y ???

Just watch Higgins as a start. He's well on his way.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal

He said he could be, not that he was a sure bet to do so. Should he say that he's going to be a back-up or what?

Koivu, Théodore, Markov, Ryder, Higgins. Not a lot for sure, but there is worse.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site

What was really said:

SeattleCanucksFan said:
I've watched Price for two years in the WHL and I really think he could be a Vezina winner someday. He has an amazing skill set, but the thing that impresses me is his composure and his maturity.

Just from his user name, SeattleCanucksFan probably isn't a Tri Cities homer (I'm guessing he's a Seattle Thunderbirds homer), he's not a Canadiens homer (I'm guessing he's a Canucks homer), and he's not a Vancouver homer (where Price is from), so he's someone who's watched Price play for two years, has an unbiased opinion, and thinks Price's skillset, composure, and maturity makes him a potential Vezina winner. What's the problem here?

toshiro

Jun 14, 2005
Western Canuckland
Then why would he mention Price, in his opinion, is better than the listed players? If that statement doesn't have anything to do with anything, why would he say it?

He's a homer. Calling Price better than those players is a statement you'd see a homer make.

Price is a decent goalie with some solid potential. He's up there with Pogge, Montoya, Rask, and a few others but I'd put him a bit later in that list (though even or ahead of Pogge).
On what basis do you make this statement. What evidence do you have that Montoya compares???

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005

Hmmm we are talking about a scouting staff that was with the habs for the last 5 years (since 2001 draft) right? so why are u talking about 15 years ago. In 2001we picked up Komi a very solid d-man getting better and better in every game Problably the habs best D this year. Chris Higgins. And the rest is too young to talk about.
Its hard to get a star every year when u dont get top 5 pick each year.

Oh and just for the fun of it lets name a few stars we drafted in the 15 years:
-Koivu
-Theo
-Vokoum
-Markov

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
What was really said:

Just from his user name, SeattleCanucksFan probably isn't a Tri Cities homer (I'm guessing he's a Seattle Thunderbirds homer), he's not a Canadiens homer (I'm guessing he's a Canucks homer), and he's not a Vancouver homer (where Price is from), so he's someone who's watched Price play for two years, has an unbiased opinion, and thinks Price's skillset, composure, and maturity makes him a potential Vezina winner. What's the problem here?

The problem is that Price is 19 years old and is still playing in the WHL. Sure he has skill but he could be mediocre and assplode like most goaltender prospects when he gets to the NHL level. Goaltenders are so unpredictable that you can't peg them Vezina trophy winners because of what they're doing in the juniors or a league that is not the NHL.

Dipietro the only goaltender ever picked first overall isn't a surefire Vezina candidate.

Dominik Hasek was a 10th round draft pick and he won the Vezina 6 times

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
at the draft the sens want to draft price , but they just take Lee , oh wait , they take him before staal and Bourdon :p: :D :yo: :shakehead :handclap:

...because this thread is about the Ottawa Senators prospects right?

How could the Senators pick Price, picked 5th overall, when they had the 9th round pick?

I haven't posted about Lee being a future Norris trophy winner.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
He said he could be, not that he was a sure bet to do so. Should he say that he's going to be a back-up or what?

Koivu, Théodore, Markov, Ryder, Higgins. Not a lot for sure, but there is worse.

Since when those 3 players are stars ???

Markov is a really good D but not yet a star . Just coz the MTL journalists are naming him every 5 minutes doesnt make him a star .:shakehead

Ryder , i know he was injured last year , but most of his goals come on the PP
He's a good player but i wouldnt put the star tag yet on him.

Higgins , i like him a lot he got speed a good shot and he's good along the board , he would be a good fit on every team .. but again he's not a star yet .

:shakehead

Those are all pretty solid and really good players , but people put the star tags fast when it's about players from MTL

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Since when those 3 players are stars ???

Markov is a really good D but not yet a star . Just coz the MTL journalists are naming him every 5 minutes doesnt make him a star .:shakehead

Ryder , i know he was injured last year , but most of his goals come on the PP
He's a good player but i wouldnt put the star tag yet on him.

Higgins , i like him a lot he got speed a good shot and he's good along the board , he would be a good fit on every team .. but again he's not a star yet .

:shakehead

Those are all pretty solid and really good players , but people put the star tags fast when it's about players from MTL

Are you serious about Markov? He is a 1st d-man, and that's a star for me. Oh, and journalists hate him for some strange reason.

Ryder and Higgins aren't stars I agree, I named them because they are first line players on our team and they clearly stand out from others picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->