Carey Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I'd rank him in the top group of goalies for sure.

Thing is, normally when a goalie goes top-5, he's kinda sitting ABOVE most of the top group at his position, and maybe in the top group of ALL PROSPECTS...? :dunno:

GSK*

IMO Price is over guys like Toews, Ryan, Brule, Skille, Staal etc.

Honestly he was the best goalie at the habs camp.

He's so big on the net, got pretty quick reflex, control very well the rebound, IMO he's another Robert Luongo.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
IMO Price is over guys like Toews, Ryan, Brule, Skille, Staal etc.

Honestly he was the best goalie at the habs camp.

He's so big on the net, got pretty quick reflex, control very well the rebound, IMO he's another Robert Luongo.

It might be early to say that. He has the potential, but he showed that he can be inconsistent. Last year, he was in a pretty bad team, but Tri-City seems to be better this year. He's having a good season so far with a 4-0 start, but it's way to early to say that he's over guys like Toews, Brule, Staal, etc...

The potential is there, he was indeed the best Habs goaltender in camp, but wait 2 more year.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Where would you rank Carey Price in relation to other goalie prospects?

I'll give a non hab fan opinion

hes in the top group of Goalie prosepects around that havnt seen the NHL (meaning not counting guy like Toivenen and Lehtonen even though they technically prospect).

That said he isnt in the same class as guys like Fleary or Lehtonen (previous top 5 goalie picks). I would say hes in a group of prospects who havnt seen the NHL including (in no particular order)

Rask, Pavelec, Pogge, Montoya, Price and Harding (i'll include him for now eventhough he's seen some limited NHL time), Maybe Schnieder and Bernier could also fit in this group.

Bruinster*

He was the best goalie at camp for the Canadiens. This statement is far from laughable.

Yes it's laughable

Ok, how many time you saw Toews, Ryan, Brule, Skille, Staal etc ?

Not because Price was good at camp he's neccessary better than others, You know we've 29 others teams in this league not just the Canadiens ! ;)

hab

Jan 19, 2006

hes in the top group of Goalie prosepects around that havnt seen the NHL (meaning not counting guy like Toivenen and Lehtonen even though they technically prospect).

That said he isnt in the same class as guys like Fleary or Lehtonen (previous top 5 goalie picks). I would say hes in a group of prospects who havnt seen the NHL including (in no particular order)

Rask, Pavelec, Pogge, Montoya, Price and Harding (i'll include him for now eventhough he's seen some limited NHL time), Maybe Schnieder and Bernier could also fit in this group.

completely agree, and I am a habs fan.... i would take fleury, and lehtonon over

price easily, but he is still a solid prospect.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar

Incidentally, this matches my opinion, but with better concrete examples. :handclap:

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Yes it's laughable

Not because Price was good at camp he's neccessary better than others, You know we've 29 others teams in this league not just the Canadiens ! ;)

I've seen each of them probably as many times as Price, if not more. All bias aside, I'm pretty confident he is going to be a dominant force in the NHL. As far as I know, none of those guys has made an impact yet for their NHL team, so I don't see what's so wrong about saying that Carey Price is at the same level as this group of prospects.

Bruinster*

I've seen each of them probably as many times as Price, if not more. All bias aside, I'm pretty confident he is going to be a dominant force in the NHL. As far as I know, none of those guys has made an impact yet for their NHL team, so I don't see what's so wrong about saying that Carey Price is at the same level as this group of prospects.

Nothing wrong but GSK said "IMO Price is over guys like Toews, Ryan, Brule, Skille, Staal etc" and IMO price is not over the majority of those players.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
MarkovForNorris said:
He was the best goalie at camp for the Canadiens. This statement is far from laughable.
Yes it's laughable

I think the original poster's point is that Price, at 19, was better than Huet and Aebischer, two established NHL goalies. Well, it's an arguable observation with too little data to really back it up convincingly, but a good portion of Habs followers would probably agree with it. Price was surprisingly (and for Habs fans also "reassuringly"!) good in camp. I don't think that part of the statement has much of anything to do with Toews, Ryan, Brule, Skille, Staal, et al.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Then why would he mention Price, in his opinion, is better than the listed players? If that statement doesn't have anything to do with anything, why would he say it?

He's a homer. Calling Price better than those players is a statement you'd see a homer make.

Price is a decent goalie with some solid potential. He's up there with Pogge, Montoya, Rask, and a few others but I'd put him a bit later in that list (though even or ahead of Pogge).

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Nothing wrong but GSK said "IMO Price is over guys like Toews, Ryan, Brule, Skille, Staal etc" and IMO price is not over the majority of those players.
I think the crux of the problem for most Price watchers would be that Price is... give or take a few personal favourites or a few personal dislikes here and there... arguably in the mix with most of those types of players, along with dozens of others, whereas past duly anointed goaltending god top-5 picks like Fleury and Lehtonen might have been automatically pushed above them. On the otherhand, Fleury and Lehtonen were #1 and #2 overall picks. #5 is kind of straddling the fence, but maybe it's more sensible to just lump Price in more with the family of "top-10" goalie picks from recent years, the Montoya, Leclaire, Finley, Krahn family, basically. Then it's all down to personal preference whether you like Price better than Skille, or Toews better than Price, etc, etc. I'd pick some of those players ahead of Price, some behind, but I'd still think I was rolling the dice to a large extent with any such decisions.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Then why would he mention Price, in his opinion, is better than the listed players? If that statement doesn't have anything to do with anything, why would he say it?

He's a homer. Calling Price better than those players is a statement you'd see a homer make.
:confused: But... GSK made that statement, not MarkovFN. :dunno:

That said, I don't think it necessarily takes a homer to make that statement. Toews and Ryan aren't available to put into the equation, but there is evidence for professional hockey opinions choosing Price over Skille, Staal, and Brule. Now I'm not saying that everybody would make the same choice. But I imagine if you looked long and hard enough you'd probably find a few non-homers who would, given that all the players are generically at least in a similar ballpark as non-super-elite prospects. Mind you, I freely grant that occam's razor argues for "homer" in this case. :)

turnbuckle*

One thing that bothers me as a Hab fan is how perception can often become reality. Numerous times I have read where Price was clearly the best goaltender at Habs training camp, when this is far from being proven to be factual.

This has been surmised by a number of fans who based this opinion on reading other fans' descriptions of a few training camp scrimmages, and watching Price play 30 minutes in a televised exhibition match. Based on that flimsy eviodence, several of our finer posters have thus concluded that since Price was decent in those 30 minutes of play and at some of the training camp scrimmages, that he was without question the Habs best netminder all camp. The more this contention is repeated, the more it becomes common perception among Hab fans.

IMO it is a rash opinion based on flimsy evidence. Sure - Price looked pretty good in those 30 minutes, but he also had a couple of brain cramps like he's still prone to commit, and being sent back to junior was the smartest move without question.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
It's an unnecessary gamble to take a goalie from the Dub in the 1st round, let alone 5th overall.

Taking Price made me question Gainey for the first time.

Jimmypop316

Jun 21, 2005
if he leads the Ams to anything more than the first round of the playoffs, then lets start talking.

You can't put him in that tier with Luongo, etc just yet because look what they did for their teams now how they have competed in the playoffs. He's got talent, but nothing like theres.

He has a half decent defensive group in front of him this year, lets see how they do.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
I've been impressed by Carey Price; he did look solid in camp and according to most experts he was the best goalie in camp, both in scrimmages and games and above Huet, Aebischer and Danis, before getting sent down. Let's not get carried away though; speculation is useless right now so we'll just have to wait and see what he does.

I personally don't see anything wrong about someone putting him in the same group as Toews, Ryan, Skille, Staal and Brule. Those are prospects; none of them are sure bets. Someone else could come out and say Blake Wheeler, Tom Fritsche or Travis Zajac deserves to be in there and I don't think there would be anything to laugh about. You know what the say about opinions...

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
It's an unnecessary gamble to take a goalie from the Dub in the 1st round, let alone 5th overall.

Taking Price made me question Gainey for the first time.

Why is the Dub a strike against him? :dunno: The WHL is producing as many top quality NHL goalie prospects as anyone lately. The quality of netminding out west is probably the best in Canada right now.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
Why is the Dub a strike against him? :dunno: The WHL is producing as many top quality NHL goalie prospects as anyone lately. The quality of netminding out west is probably the best in Canada right now.

The fact that they're top PROSPECTS does not rebute what I said.

The WHL has a weak track record when it comes to producing good NHL goaltenders, and I think I know why. The goalies in that league are very well accustomed to playing in front of stingy defensive trap-style systems, which makes their stats look ridiculously good.

Why do you think Quebec has produced so damn many great goalies? It's because they have to adapt to a Q-league shootout style where there are endless shots and endless scoring chances. These goalies are are at an advantage over everyone, especially the G's in the Dub, when everyone is tested at the NHL level.

I'm a Leaf fan and I put Pogge in the same category as Price. Both will be busts.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The fact that they're top PROSPECTS does not rebute what I said.

The WHL has a weak track record when it comes to producing good NHL goaltenders, and I think I know why. The goalies in that league are very well accustomed to playing in front of stingy defensive trap-style systems, which makes their stats look ridiculously good.

Why do you think Quebec has produced so damn many great goalies? It's because they have to adapt to a Q-league shootout style where there are endless shots and endless scoring chances. These goalies are are at an advantage over everyone, especially the G's in the Dub, when everyone is tested at the NHL level.

I'm a Leaf fan and I put Pogge in the same category as Price. Both will be busts.

That's a common theory that I don't agree with.

And the list of busts from the Q is as long as anywhere. The WHL has turned into the goaltending factory the Q used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad