Value of: Carey Price

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
The only way Bergevin trades Price is if he gets a king's ransom is return. Not saying Price is worth that, just that it's the only way you would get Price out of Montreal. Bergevin can't afford to trade him for anything less than that, unless he wants to get fired. And even then...I'm not sure Molson would allow it.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I don't see a market for Price in a hockey trade. If he's taded, either Montreal is retaining a ton of salary (the likes of which we've never seen) or he's a strict cap dump.

Reactions: Kcb12345

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Every GM's in the league will tell you he is still the best Goalie in the league.
He still needs to show he isn't injured or too tired anymore.

I fully agree. If he's healthy he's far and away the best.

But you dont give a lot, pay that contract and just hope he will return to pre-injury form. Teams would need to see it before that or they wouldn't pay too high or a price tag.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
he doesn't have negative value. he'd return some valuable assets because a gm will be stupid enough to trade for him

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto
Fantastic goalie. Cost is too high to acquire considering the contract.

Is something going on with Dubnyk? Would prefer him and his contract rather than price’s

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
As a wild fan, I'm curious what prices value is. Whether he has positive, avg, or negative value.

I know he has a massive contract, just curious what a deal to the wild might look like.

Honestly why would the Wild even be interested in Price, it's not not like he is a lot younger or as reliable than Dubnyk

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I think Price got a great a value , but if Price is traded the team that trades for him need to dump a cap space to make it a good trade.

With Montreal not in the derby for Tavares , ROR rumors are gone and Pacioretty gone

Will be funny to see if Weber and Price are traded.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
When Price is healthy, he is the best goalie in the league. The full value of his contract (unretained) will be next to impossible for any team to swallow though.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If he can return to form he might not have negative value with that contract.

A young team needing a legit starter may want to deal with the devil down the road to have elite goal tending for the next 4-5 seasons. They just need to find room for his salary under the cap.

Bad contract back plus 2nd/b prospect?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
No he isn’t.

I’ll take Matt Murray and a few others over Price.

Murray didnt look all that hot this year. On ability alone, I'd take Price over him easily. Unfortunately.l, Age and contract status isnt on Prices side.

I do agree that there are several other goalies I'd consider first though.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He is unmovable with that contract.

31 year old sensitive, and decling boat anchor. Playoff resume spotty at best.

Who wouldn't want him?

Come on, that’s just horseshit. He’s had a bad season, but so did the whole team. This guy is a generational (goalie) talent. He carried the Habs for years with a mediocre lineup to the playoff and even further. He won everything but a stanley cup yet and he’s only 31. Personally, I have yet to see a goalie that declined at 31. Look at Brodeur, Roy, Lundqvist, Hasek, Luongo and to some extent goalies like Anderson and Thomas who kept an elite level of play until their late 30’s.

Price still has at least another solid 6 years of prime before he starts declining. A 6 years contract would’ve been the best but we all know how it works. It was either 8 years or nada.

10.5M/year is currently in #’s for a franchise player and starting next year with all the superstars needing a new contract, we will see A LOT more 10M+ a year contract and Price’s will suddenly not seem so bad after all. The % of total cap hit he will take will go down every year so if he can keep up his play for another 6 years and still have competitive #’s for his last two, I think his last 4 years of his contract will be a steal (less than 10% of total cap).

As for his value, I don’t know. I guess a package isn’t going to be enough or have enough value to make it worth for the Habs. My bet, it would need to be a 1v1 trade for a similar talent at another position. Think Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson, Doughty type of players (Superstars +/- 5 years his age)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Murray? let me guess, because he has 2 cups?

He didn't look good at all this year which leads me to think you're talking out of your ass as usual
he was much better than price this season and was a vital part in the pens winning 2 cups.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i'd swap him with Andersen easily (and add) if not for contracts, but Leafs can't afford that much for a goalie. i'd be shocked if any team could

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Yeah, he had an off year for sure. I guess I should disregard the first two years where he was pretty damned good in the regular season and did win two Cups?

OK. You run along now.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Come on, that’s just horse****. He’s had a bad season, but so did the whole team. This guy is a generational (goalie) talent. He carried the Habs for years with a mediocre lineup to the playoff and even further. He won everything but a stanley cup yet and he’s only 31. Personally, I have yet to see a goalie that declined at 31. Look at Brodeur, Roy, Lundqvist, Hasek, Luongo and to some extent goalies like Anderson and Thomas who kept an elite level of play until their late 30’s.

Price still has at least another solid 6 years of prime before he starts declining. A 6 years contract would’ve been the best but we all know how it works. It was either 8 years or nada.

10.5M/year is currently in #’s for a franchise player and starting next year with all the superstars needing a new contract, we will see A LOT more 10M+ a year contract and Price’s will suddenly not seem so bad after all. The % of total cap hit he will take will go down every year so if he can keep up his play for another 6 years and still have competitive #’s for his last two, I think his last 4 years of his contract will be a steal (less than 10% of total cap).

As for his value, I don’t know. I guess a package isn’t going to be enough or have enough value to make it worth for the Habs. My bet, it would need to be a 1v1 trade for a similar talent at another position. Think Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson, Doughty type of players (Superstars +/- 5 years his age)
For Price to be worth his deal, he needs to play way above Vezina level for eight years. Anything lower, and he's not.

Also, you're ignoring significant factors here. Not many teams can afford to take on that anchor of a deal in the first place, and only a few teams would even entertain doing so based on need. You're already limited to a handful of teams. Then there's his trade protection, which might rule out teams (all speculation, though), and let's face it; if you're on an internal budget, forget acquiring Price altogether. Teams with a strict cap structure for the upcoming years will be skeptical, for that f***ing boat anchor basically means that you're now up one franchise player in salary.

By taking everything you ignored into account, you can rule out practically every team in the league. Then you can look at Price's performance and decide whether it is worth it to take the risk of him flaming out early. All his injuries and his last year, during which he was the single most overpaid player in the league. (then again, goalies fluctuate in this regard, but having a season that bad is of no help in any case) And you're suggesting that a franchise player is what it would take? If somebody offered you future considerations for taking his contract in its entirety, you pull the trigger and don't look back.

DeJMoK_U0AA0_KT.jpg:large

In short: Price is a great goaltender with absolutely no trade value due to his bloated contract and concerns of an early decline.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Prices trade value, for the most part, would come in the form of cap space and flexibility.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Yeah, he had an off year for sure. I guess I should disregard the first two years where he was pretty damned good in the regular season and did win two Cups?

OK. You run along now.

Oh, so we should take into account Murray's past seasons, but not Price...is that it ?
Next time, maybe you should explain the rules first, would help a lot.

OK. Back to the kids table now.

paragon

May 5, 2010
It doesn't really matter if you overpay a forward or a defenseman, because you can always demote them to a lower line or pairing and they can usually still be useful. If Price is not performing like a #1 he becomes totally worthless to his team. Last year Price wasn't playing like a #1 goalie. Even if he bounces back and wins a Vezina his contract is still gonna be terrible in a few years.

People thought Bryzgalov's deal was bad. At least his contract wasn't buyout proof. 70 million out of the 84 owed to Price are signing bonuses immune to buyout, which makes it absolutely the worst contract in the league. Compliance buyout might save the franchise from cap hell, but I wonder how the owners will feel about paying tens of millions for a buyout.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Too much risk to swing a trade...

He only has value on that contract if he's playing like the best goalie in the world (even then, the value is minimal). If that isn't happening, he has negative value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad