Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The problem with Price is that it's well known he's not a hard worker outside the rink. The guy has relied on his incredible talent a lot so far in his career. But the most successful players are those with talent who also work hard. Price cashed in and checked out. Plain as day for me. No olympics for NHL athletes, big contract, no reason to try eh !? Who cares about being professional after having signed a lifetime contract with the team that drafted you and relies on you. Certainly not fans on HF boards so it's all good. People on this board make excuses for him and say "the team sucks so why would he try ?" well, he has 10,5M reasons to be professional every day and be an example for everyone else around him. It's not his job as a player to look at the work his GM has done and give up. I find the effort he has put in this season and more importantly this off season to be laughable and pathetic. There is no reason or excuses for his pathetic level of play this season.

I remember when the team won a few in a row after he came back, and he just completely mailed it in against Edmonton. Looked like he didn't even care. Not sure how the team should react around him when that happens. What a leader eh!? Or how about the time when he was having this psycho smile on his face being all happy about his fun time in the net after the outdoor game loss. It's one thing to stick it to the medias for criticizing his attitude, but what kind of leadership is that ? Another comment I found to be poor leadership "Q:What was the difference tonight? A: Claude Giroux. ". You know what else was a difference that night ? Price. He sucked and he was out dueled by the other goalie again that night. Maybe looked at yourself and stop blaming the entire world around you for your failings.

Guy always seemed to care a lot more about Olympics than playing hockey for the Montreal Canadiens. I wish he had gone to the O this year. I could have used a break from seeing him mail it in. It's no secret I've never liked the guy as a person or player. And this season is just more fuel to the fire of my dislike of him. Hopefully he has some pride left and rebounds next year. But if he just waits for things to happen because of his talent, he won't rebound. He's at the age where players who aren't and haven't been professional decline pretty hard.

There’s nothing that indicates poor professionalism. He’s considered a leader by many so it’s the exact opposite. I know there’s fans here who say he isn’t trying as an excuse and I disagree with that completely. The term “trying to hard” may be the best way to describe it. There’s something wrong him right now. It’s clear as day it’s confidence. His technique is gone and for a goalie whose been arguably the best in the league in that area for years, it’s concerning. He used to be able to eat pucks and make everything look easy, now he’s scrambling all over the place and kicking out everything. This team certainly isn’t making it any easier on him, but he needs to sit down with Waite and either look back at what made him successful or evolve. I remember Colorado hiring Jeff Hackett and doing this exact thing with Theodore and it saved his career.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal is the hardest, toughest market for a goalie in the NHL. This is a team that has had some of the greatest legends in nets over the last century, from Vezina, to Hainsworth, to Plante, to Dryden, to Roy, and so on and so forth.

Price has it tough here, because he is seen as a 'coulda, shoulda, woulda' goalie by a large portion of the fanbase. A goalie in the line of the Roys and Drydens to take us to Holy Grail, that failed to do so.

It hasn't materialized, for many reasons. Some would argue it's management's fault. Others would argue that it's his own doing, specially early on in his career. And there is the injury factor that came to play during his prime year. TBH, I think his best years are behind him. I think multiple injuries have had his toll on his physical abilities.

And the INTENSE pressure of the market has gotten to him and his entourage more than once.

I do think he's tired.

I do think he needs a change in scenery. Montreal has come and went in his career. Now, Molson will have to swallow th bulk of his signing bonus and move on. Plain and simple.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I must have hit a raw nerve to get this type of juvenile comeback.

You hate Price. You said it yourself. He's struggling this season but the guy carried this team for the last half decade. Suddenly you use this year to proclaim he's not a leader and he's a bum. It's quite blatantly obvious you're a hater. It's the fans like you who make it obvious we dont deserve the stars we get to watch.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You hate Price. You said it yourself. He's struggling this season but the guy carried this team for the last half decade. Suddenly you use this year to proclaim he's not a leader and he's a bum. It's quite blatantly obvious you're a hater. It's the fans like you who make it obvious we dont deserve the stars we get to watch.

*Except for
any playoffs
2017-18 - sucked all year
2015-16 - injured all year
2012-13 - .905 save percentage

But yeah, aside from that he carried this team for the LAST HALF DECADE.

:rolleyes:

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

To whom was this addressed to?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
There’s nothing that indicates poor professionalism. He’s considered a leader by many so it’s the exact opposite. I know there’s fans here who say he isn’t trying as an excuse and I disagree with that completely. The term “trying to hard” may be the best way to describe it. There’s something wrong him right now. It’s clear as day it’s confidence. His technique is gone and for a goalie whose been arguably the best in the league in that area for years, it’s concerning. He used to be able to eat pucks and make everything look easy, now he’s scrambling all over the place and kicking out everything. This team certainly isn’t making it any easier on him, but he needs to sit down with Waite and either look back at what made him successful or evolve. I remember Colorado hiring Jeff Hackett and doing this exact thing with Theodore and it saved his career.

The guy won a gold medal, AHL calder cup, AHL mvp, world cup, WJC, has a 10.5M contract for 8 years after this, only 30 year old .. and he has confidence issues?

It's cute that you think that.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He's the Gary Roberts of goalies. I apologize. Clearly a hard worker. The huge inconsistencies from season to season are simply confidence issues.

A player under-performing doesn't mean they weren't prepared or didn't work hard in the off-season. You made a baseless claim and had no proof when asked. No need to get filthy about it. Just do better next time.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's pretty clear that Price came in woefully unprepared to start this season. Unless that's actually his level ?
What's clear here, is you have no back up.............we get it, you don't like Price, but I am curious as to why you single him out, and let the other 22 guys on the roster get off easy?
Why not give your thoughts on them.

Price has carried us, and when he doesn't you throw him under the bus...people all around the game, say he is one of the best goalies in the world, but yet you disagree, coming off as you know it all...and they know nothing, oh because they think different than you.............see how it works... lol

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
A player under-performing doesn't mean they weren't prepared or didn't work hard in the off-season. You made a baseless claim and had no proof when asked. No need to get filthy about it. Just do better next time.

Actually there has been a lot of rumblings about it but I don't make it my duty in life to keep all the press clippings/hyper links of everything I've ever read or heard.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Actually there has been a lot of rumblings about it but I don't make it my duty in life to keep all the press clippings/hyper links of everything I've ever read or heard.

So you've got nothing. Gotcha.

PS - Even if say Price had been lazy off the ice earlier in his career, it has nothing to do with how he prepared during the previous off-season.

:teach:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
What's clear here, is you have no back up.............we get it, you don't like Price, but I am curious as to why you single him out, and let the other 22 guys on the roster get off easy?

Price has carried us, and when he doesn't you throw him under the bus...people all around the game, say he is one of the best goalies in the world, but yet you disagree, coming off as you know it all...and they know nothing, oh because they think different than you.............see how it works... lol

A poster's opinion on Price here can pretty much be used as a litmus test for their other hockey opinions.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I must have hit a raw nerve to get this type of juvenile comeback.

There will always be Price groupies who overestimate the goaltender importance in a team. You make a lot of sense in your analysis. Bottom line is the goaltending position is way overrated in this forum. Blame it on the Patrick Roy syndrome, in the 90's where goaltenders really made a difference. There is some posters in here, wont name you, who will defend Price no matter what but they forget the team aspect. When Price put up his best number, he was playing behind the highest paid defense in the league and one of the best with Subban and company. This season we see what Price worth behind a bad defense squap. Hes average. I know it hurts to say it, but thats the truth. I wrote an veyr

I wrote a vert good post before Subban was traded, my first one actually on HF, made it to Danslescoulisses.com , lafleur guy deleted it because he had a hard time accepting it. I was explaining how Subban was important to the team and why we should trade Price for young assets and not give him a big contract. After the fact I was rigth and now to see Nhl919191 and lafleur guy agreiing to trade Price is giving reason 2 years after my post. If was so obvious , its strange it took so much time for people cheering for the same team to see that

Reactions: bluetib

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
What's clear here, is you have no back up.............

Actually, more and more people are starting to wonder about Price...

we get it, you don't like Price, but I am curious as to why you single him out, and let the other 22 guys on the roster get off easy?

I've criticized Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin, and plenty of other players before. The difference is that there's no one who defend those players like they defend Price. Everyone on this team sucks. You don't have as bad results as we have if someone is truly Hart quality.

I have. But since no one makes a big fuss when I say Drouin played badly, you don't notice. But you know what, guys like Drouin/Galchenyuk... they're still young and they will have half of Price's cap hit next season. The standards have to be different.

No I don't "see how it works".

People outside Montreal LOVE to bash the habs, love to HATE the habs. They especially love to diminish the team as being nothing with the exception of the goalie whether that goalie is Hackett, Price, Theodore or whomever else. It's been happening for decades. You will not impress me by quoting NHL medias regurgitating the same easy tropes they've been relying on for a long time. It's an easy and lazy out for them and doesn't prove anything in and of itself. Again, the real proof.... VEZINA VOTES. Vezina awards are voted by GMs. Actual real hockey people. Outside of his one truly great year, Price got one third place for for the Vezina. So actual real hockey people don't actually say Price is the best when he isn't. And he's never been outside of his one great season. Sorry to give you a dose of truth ...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
So you've got nothing. Gotcha.

PS - Even if say Price had been lazy off the ice earlier in his career, it has nothing to do with how he prepared during the previous off-season.

:teach:

Ok, here are some quotes :

https://25stanley.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/carey-price-cigarette.jpg
http://multimontreal.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/price11.jpg
https://jthockey.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/carey-price-date-hot-chicks-opera.jpg?w=420&h=279
https://i.skyrock.net/5571/55125571/pics/2232650463_small_1.jpg

You think it has nothing to do with it ? In my experience, people rarely really change. They are who they are.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
There will always be Price groupies who overestimate the goaltender importance in a team. You make a lot of sense in your analysis. Bottom line is the goaltending position is way overrated in this forum. Blame it on the Patrick Roy syndrome, in the 90's where goaltenders really made a difference. There is some posters in here, wont name you, who will defend Price no matter what but they forget the team aspect. When Price put up his best number, he was playing behind the highest paid defense in the league and one of the best with Subban and company. This season we see what Price worth behind a bad defense squap. Hes average. I know it hurts to say it, but thats the truth.

We have been told the most ridiculous things on this board. Things such as this team is a bottom feeder without Price. Price single handedly carries a bottom feeder to top of the conference.

Now the narrative has changed. Apparently even Price can't carry a team this bad to the top of the conference.

Instead of just admitting the truth for what it is.

We had a great defensive team for many years. This year we have a bad one for the first time in 5 years. And Price is HORRID.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Hahahahahahahahaha. Did you really just post pictures of Carey Price partying a decade ago to prove your point? Oh God. Hahahahaha.

Reactions: habdynasty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad