Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Even looking at the 16-17 team, Price overall had a good year, but between December and February, during a 32 game stretch, Price put up a 2.71 GAA and a .906 SV%. That's 32 games of well below league average goal-tending... The Habs still manged to play .500 hockey. I think the 15-16 team is a playoff team with league average goalie numbers as opposed to bottom three numbers, much like this year... probably a bubble team if they get league average play in net as opposed to bottom three... that's what price has given them this year.

Montreal's team save % is pretty close to average this year. The team is bad.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Even looking at the 16-17 team, Price overall had a good year, but between December and February, during a 32 game stretch, Price put up a 2.71 GAA and a .906 SV%. That's 32 games of well below league average goal-tending... The Habs still manged to play .500 hockey. I think the 15-16 team is a playoff team with league average goalie numbers as opposed to bottom three numbers, much like this year... probably a bubble team if they get league average play in net as opposed to bottom three... that's what price has given them this year.

Out of those 32 games Price allowed 2 goals or less in 17. So when you say the Habs still managed .500 hockey it's really because Price still managed, on average, to shut the door every second night or so. The Habs won 5 games total in 2016-2017 when Price allowed 3 goals or more.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Out of those 32 games Price allowed 2 goals or less in 17. So when you say the Habs still managed .500 hockey it's really because Price still managed, on average, to shut the door every second night or so. The Habs won 5 games total in 2016-2017 when Price allowed 3 goals or more.

I’d be interested in seeing how many games other teams win when their goalies allow 3 or more.
I’m willing to bet it’s not much higher than the 5 games the Habs won
Regardless this team sucks and has depended on Carey for too long. Bergevin just didn’t build correctly around Price

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I’d be interested in seeing how many games other teams win when their goalies allow 3 or more.
Regardless this team sucks and has depended on Carey for too long. Bergevin just didn’t build correctly around Price

I'd wager that the other teams that finished with more than 100 points last year (as the Habs did) would at least double that number. I'm not wagering with real money tho. :sarcasm:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Well this year Rinne has won 11 games but I'd imagine that's on the higher side. But really the thing to look at is not the wins when we let in 3 goals but the number of games where we scored 3 goals.

Reactions: the valiant effort

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Well this year Rinne has won 11 games but I'd imagine that's on the higher side. But really the thing to look at is not the wins when we let in 3 goals but the number of games where we scored 3 goals.
And that’s where Bergevin failed. He built a team that counts on the goalie 100% and can’t score themselves out of problems
Although Price had an average of below 2 last year in the playoffs. , Habs still lost. That’s just pathetic
And price wasn’t evev great in that series. This team is built horribly
No # 1 or 2 centre and no PMD to play with Weber

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014

Gibson played 52 games last year, the Ducks only won two games when he gave up 3 or more.

This year it's 5 in 60 games... they only have 95 points, but have 3 left to play.

Last edited:

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
The mean is .913, the median is .910. Whatever you make of it, .904 is definitively in the You'd Better Score Goals district.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
The mean is .913, the median is .910. Whatever you make of it, .904 is definitively in the You'd Better Score Goals district.

I'll have to look at it, but I don't think it's actually the mean... I think it's the actual league SV%.... but they do call it average, so it may be the mean. I haven't done the math, so even though title says "average case percentage" ... when I use that figure I usually save "league SV%"

Last edited:

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I'm going to trust the page that has the team save %'s and the league average than the page with out the former. Especially since I exported the relevant table from the page I linked to excel and verified the league average save percentage.

The only issue with the page you linked is they're calculating the average of the averages instead of calculating the actual saves made on actual shots against.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The only issue with the page you linked is they're calculating the average of the averages instead of calculating the actual saves made on actual shots against.

Wouldn't actual saves on actual shots just be the league save percentage? League average save % implies that you're actually averaging out team save % in the league. Save% isn't an average. Its saves/shots on net.

I'm a little unclear on what you're saying. How are they "averaging the averages". Are those team save percentages averages?

Reactions: the valiant effort

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Lottery is an exaggeration, but he’s turned bubble teams into division winners more than once.

That Price will be paid $10.5mil is all on Bergevin. I don’t blame Price for securing himself financially.
:huh: Who in the world WOULD blame anyone Price (or anybody) for "securing himself financially"???

I dont blame him for wearing a jock either. :D

Value wise ? ....... the last 4 regular seasons if and when Price was out or playing poorly the Habs winning percentage was lottery team pace...... 016 and 018

With him they were top 5..... 015, 017

Price has been worth as much to his team as any star in the league........more in most cases.

Last edited:

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
Wouldn't actual saves on actual shots just be the league save percentage? League average save % implies that you're actually averaging out team save % in the league. Save% isn't an average. Its saves/shots on net.

I'm a little unclear on what you're saying. How are they "averaging the averages". Are those team save percentages averages?

If you have two goalies, one faces 100 shots and stops 90, his SV% is .900. The other goalie faces 1o shots and stops 5, his SV% is .500. Their average SV% is .700 - their actual SV% is .762. The link you posted is the average of each teams SV%... the link I posted is the league SV%, I’m not sure why Hockey Reference calls it “league average”... in my original post I said the league SV%, intentionally not using the word average, because it is not an average, it’s more of what you can expect from the average goalie.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Can't wait for Holtby new deal in 2020, Bob new deal in 2019, Gibson, Vasy and Hellebuyck first UFA deal.

Everyone was going crazy over Price 6.5m deal and it ended up a bargain.

Lundqvist is paid 8.5m (with a full NMC) a year until he is 39.

If we consider the cap when their deal come active (14-15 had 69m and 18-19 around 80m), Lundqvist is prorated to 9.85 which is close to what price signed for.

I fully expect to see a couple goalies sign 9-12m/year deal in the next 3-4 years.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It's scary just to think how were are going to get rid of him. He sucks and makes 10.5, nobody will want him unless we take a lot of the salary.

I think a bounce back is more than likely, but it was hard to agree with 10.5 even at his peak potential..

Such a bad contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad