Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I am glad that Price is not going to the worlds.

There was really nothing at all to gain from going there. If he plays well, it doesn't exactly looks great on him after having had such a terrible season with the habs to suddenly play at a good level with another team, it would make him and the habs look bad. If he doesn't play well, his low confidence would be even lower. At any rate, games played at this time of the year wouldn't help him next season. It's just more games where he could get injured and which would reduce his rest and preparation time for next season.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Not re-signing Alex Rads was a bitter pill to swallow for Habs' fans. (It's like reuniting with a long lost sibling and then he moves away to Australia.) Yes, Bergy rescued him from obscurity and gave him another chance to play in the NHL and play he did! He energized his team every time he touched the puck and made surreal passes to Patches who stuffed the puck home. He could not be blamed for asking for a long term contract. He earned it in that one fabulous season.

Dallas was willing to match Bergy's offer, but being that Texas' taxes are way lower than in Quebec, Rads was not willing to take less net pay by giving Montreal a home discount. If he did, he would have been considered a martyr and that's fine with many Habs' followers. Too bad, he chose Dallas.

The taxes are not an issue. This is just a lie spewed by the media

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Lottery is an exaggeration, but he’s turned bubble teams into division winners more than once.

That Price will be paid $10.5mil is all on Bergevin. I don’t blame Price for securing himself financially.
Bubble team (without lights out CP) is quite generous.

015 - 2nd - with lights out Carey
016 - 22nd - Price out (team played dead last .400 hockey without him)
017 - 4th - Careys back.
018 - 27th - Price playing average/or out of line up

The squad MB assembled is a lottery team outside the crease.

The eye test has shown this for years .........the above numbers and the $$$ kings ransom he felt compelled to give Price simply supports that.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I am glad that Price is not going to the worlds.

There was really nothing at all to gain from going there. If he plays well, it doesn't exactly looks great on him after having had such a terrible season with the habs to suddenly play at a good level with another team, it would make him and the habs look bad. If he doesn't play well, his low confidence would be even lower. At any rate, games played at this time of the year wouldn't help him next season. It's just more games where he could get injured and which would reduce his rest and preparation time for next season.
I kind of wanted him to go win a championship.

He won the 014 gold medal and was Hasek like after it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The taxes are not an issue. This is just a lie spewed by the media
MB blew that twice. Not giving Radulov two years - the first deal (but he gave Pleks two years)
Losing negotiating battle with Nill in Dallas - the second deal.

Anything after that is just more excuses for coming up short.

Reactions: LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Lottery is an exaggeration, but he’s turned bubble teams into division winners more than once.

That Price will be paid $10.5mil is all on Bergevin. I don’t blame Price for securing himself financially.

Yeah it's not like Price negotiated hard to get that contract anyway. There was no long negotiation it was offered to him as soon as it was possible. I can blame a player when that player decide to go UFA after a year of negotiation or force a team to trade him because he is asking too much as a RFA and then the player eventually find a fish ready to pay. I can blame a player doing that for wanting too much if he can't deliver after signing the contract. But that contract was handed to Price and there's no reality where he could not accept this offer. There was no reason to offer him this contract last summer there's no reality where he would have been worth more than 10.5 as an UFA.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah as if having a top pairing of Markov and Subban had us as a lottery team. Come on now, you being facetious?
Maybe a little.

But the year Price went down.....with Markov and Suuban the habs finished 22nd. (.400 hockey after Price went down with Markov and Subban. Thats lottery team material.

Not a knock on Markov and Subban.......but with the forwards (and Therrien) Markov and Subban could only do so much.

last 4 years

2nd place
22nd place
4th place
27th place

give ya one guess which two seasons Price was not lights out/injured.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

017 - 4th - Careys back.

The eye test has shown this for years .........the above numbers and the $$$ kings ransom he felt compelled to give Price simply supports that.

09-10, Markov misses half season, 88 pts, with Hamrlik as the only replacement. 15-18-3 before Markov comes back. 24-15-7 when he's back.

10-11, Markov gone the whole season, Subban & Hammer replace him the best they can, 93 pts.

11-12, with Markov absent for the first 70 games, Hamrlik on his last leg, a young inconsistent Price and a sophomore Subban taking the entire load on his shoulders, and a team gutted of it's coach replaced by an incompetent, habs set a league record for most points by a 28th place team in an 82 games season, with 78 pts.

12-13, Price is still inconsistent, finishing the season with a meager ,905 save %, but Markov is back to make an upgrade over the loss of old man Hammer. Subban and Markov carry the Habs with a fast paced transition and a versatile offense to a prorated season of 108 pts.

13-14, a change in strategy occurs, and the system is concentrated on a "better" defensive approach to reduce scoring chances. Markov, Subban and Price carry the team to 100 pts.

14-15, rinse & repeat with better results, 110 pts.

15-16, dominate the league in the first 20 games, both Subban (almost ppg) and Price are at the top of their game, but Price's injury take its toll as the system was based upon him and no suitable replacement could support the workload on a long term basis, no matter the defense. Internal strife was probably magnified by the tactics of a dinosaur coach who couldn't adapt the team to the loss of Price. And to this day, I still believe this is where Therrien's relationship with Subban started really falling apart. It seemed like PK disagreed with the defensive approach as it would be ineffective without someone suitable to replace Price and wanted to go back to what they did in 12-13.

16-17, Habs have Price back and still have two first pairing Dmen in Weber and Markov. Habs finish with 103 pts.

17-18, No more Markov, Price is there though, but the team completely crumbles without a bonafide top pairing pmd.

The underlying factor of success here is not Price alone. It's great/good goalie + 2 top defenders.

Mark my words, Price will never be as dominant as long as Markov's departure isn't properly handled by either replacing him or getting a bonafide top center.

Having two top defenders can compensate the lack of a top centerman. It's not the way to build a team, but it does bring results, contrarily to being a lottery team.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
09-10, Markov misses half season, 88 pts, with Hamrlik as the only replacement. 15-18-3 before Markov comes back. 24-15-7 when he's back.

10-11, Markov gone the whole season, Subban & Hammer replace him the best they can, 93 pts.

11-12, with Markov absent for the first 70 games, Hamrlik on his last leg, a young inconsistent Price and a sophomore Subban taking the entire load on his shoulders, and a team gutted of it's coach replaced by an incompetent, habs set a league record for most points by a 28th place team in an 82 games season, with 78 pts.

12-13, Price is still inconsistent, finishing the season with a meager ,905 save %, but Markov is back to make an upgrade over the loss of old man Hammer. Subban and Markov carry the Habs with a fast paced transition and a versatile offense to a prorated season of 108 pts.

13-14, a change in strategy occurs, and the system is concentrated on a "better" defensive approach to reduce scoring chances. Markov, Subban and Price carry the team to 100 pts.

14-15, rinse & repeat with better results, 110 pts.

15-16, dominate the league in the first 20 games, both Subban (almost ppg) and Price are at the top of their game, but Price's injury take its toll as the system was based upon him and no suitable replacement could support the workload on a long term basis, no matter the defense. Internal strife was probably magnified by the tactics of a dinosaur coach who couldn't adapt the team to the loss of Price. And to this day, I still believe this is where Therrien's relationship with Subban started really falling apart. It seemed like PK disagreed with the defensive approach as it would be ineffective without someone suitable to replace Price and wanted to go back to what they did in 12-13.

16-17, Habs have Price back and still have two first pairing Dmen in Weber and Markov. Habs finish with 103 pts.

17-18, No more Markov, Price is there though, but the team completely crumbles without a bonafide top pairing pmd.

The underlying factor of success here is not Price alone. It's great/good goalie + 2 top defenders.

Mark my words, Price will never be as dominant as long as Markov's departure isn't properly handled by either replacing him or getting a bonafide top center.

Having two top defenders can compensate the lack of a top centerman. It's not the way to build a team, but it does bring results, contrarily to being a lottery team.

Nicely done.

But imo, Without Price standing on his head Habs are a lottery team. Their top six has been a joke for years. Markov and Subban were saving grace when Price went down. (even though team played .400 hockey with them)
Bottom 4 D have been notoriously weak.

Price was their Hasek from 014 Olympics to the injury in 016.

I have yet to see this team look anything but bad when Carey Price is not in the line up.

If he is not their for reg season....they are not making play offs.

If he is not in net for a play off series. They are getting eliminated.

Everyone knows that. The habs without Price are the Oilers without MacDavid.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
and then play offs start.

Nicely done.

imo Without Price standing on his head Habs are a lottery team. Their top six has been a joke for years. Markov and Subban were saving grace when Price went down. (even though team played .400 hockey with them)
Bottom 4 D have been notoriously weak.

Price was their Hasek from 014 Olympics to the injury in 016.

I have yet to see this team look anything but bad when Carey Price is not in the line up.

I have yet to see the Habs be good without 2 top pairing Ds, no matter if Price is in net.

And this season proved that.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I have yet to see the Habs be good without 2 top pairing Ds, no matter if Price is in net.

And this season proved that.
I have seen them stink the league out with two top pair D and no Price.

Worst Decemeber in Canadiens history had Markov, Subban, (and Petry) playing healthy. But Carey was out.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I have seen them stink the league out with two top pair D and no Price.

Worst Decemeber in Canadiens history had Markov, Subban, (and Petry) playing healthy. But Carey was out.

And ive seen them also be very good with Price being highly inconsistent (,905) in 12-13.

Price never carried the team alone.

The 15-16 dropped happened because Markov and Subban couldnt stop the puck at Condon's or Scriven's place. That's like replacing Markov by Alzner.

Price can't do it alone, and neither could Subban and Markov.

Having all 3 of them is what made tge Habs a 100 pts team.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
And ive seen them also be very good with Price being highly inconsistent (,905) in 12-13.

Price never carried the team alone.

The 15-16 dropped happened because Markov and Subban couldnt stop the puck at Condon's or Scriven's place. That's like replacing Markov by Alzner.

Price can't do it alone, and neither could Subban and Markov.

Having all 3 of them is what made tge Habs a 100 pts team.
agreed

The major diff in the 012 non play off team and the 013 first place team was the addition of Markov for 013.
and Yes , this season they miss him. So do I.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

017 - 4th - Careys back.

I’m fully inclined to agree with you, however TO BE FAIR AS POSSIBLE TO BERGEVIN, I’ve hedged it against the 12-13 Subban Norris year, where we scored quite freely and Price didn’t need to be all that for us to see regular W’s.

I still believe the 15-16 team could have been a bubble team with decent goaltending, instead of Condon/Scrivens.

However, this season’s team (17-18) was always doomed to fail if Price wasn’t godly.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Worst part is we have to linger in limbo depending on our cap strapped goalie for the next 8 years.

Rather have lost him for nothing than seal our fate for the next 8 years and have to rely on somebody who can't carry us in the playoffs.

As long as carey price is here management has no incentive to construct a competant hockey team based on talent skill and speed . Just sign pylons that play safe and hope Price puts up 920 save % and get outed in the first or second round. The beer keeps flowing and the money keeps pouring baby

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Worst part is we have to linger in limbo depending on our cap strapped goalie for the next 8 years.

Rather have lost him for nothing than seal our fate for the next 8 years and have to rely on somebody who can't carry us in the playoffs.

As long as carey price is here management has no incentive to construct a competant hockey team based on talent skill and speed . Just sign pylons that play safe and hope Price puts up 920 save % and get outed in the first or second round. The beer keeps flowing and the money keeps pouring baby
Makes watching other teams sound pretty good eh.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Price seems to be an incredible dad. But then...might have lost his competitive mojo along the way and join the Stéphane Richer ''there's a lot more than hockey in life" group.

You wonder how much he is ready to be a leader and get an average group out of his misery.....or he'd be better in an already great team just ready to play his own role.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
His next game gives him the top spot for most games as a Hab, surpassing the great Jacques Plante. I guess that's something.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
I’m fully inclined to agree with you, however TO BE FAIR AS POSSIBLE TO BERGEVIN, I’ve hedged it against the 12-13 Subban Norris year, where we scored quite freely and Price didn’t need to be all that for us to see regular W’s.

I still believe the 15-16 team could have been a bubble team with decent goaltending, instead of Condon/Scrivens.

However, this season’s team (17-18) was always doomed to fail if Price wasn’t godly.

Even looking at the 16-17 team, Price overall had a good year, but between December and February, during a 32 game stretch, Price put up a 2.71 GAA and a .906 SV%. That's 32 games of well below league average goal-tending... The Habs still manged to play .500 hockey. I think the 15-16 team is a playoff team with league average goalie numbers as opposed to bottom three numbers, much like this year... probably a bubble team if they get league average play in net as opposed to bottom three... that's what price has given them this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->