Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
I just hope he's back to his Vezina/Hart form next year. I still think he has it in him to play at such a level.

every time i read something like this i can't help but :rolleyes: and :facepalm:

those days are in the past, they are gone forever, and they are not coming back

Price reached his peak when he won the Vezina.....he is on the other side of the slope now, and this season proved that....it's all downhill from here.....what you see this season from Price is what your going to get next season, maybe not even that good

Reactions: WickedPegJets

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
every time i read something like this i can't help but :rolleyes: and :facepalm:

Price reached his peak when he won the Vezina.....he is on the other side of the slope now, and this season proved that....it's all downhill from here.....what you see this season from Price is what your going to get next season, maybe not even that good

Because you say so?

He was a Vezina finalist last year too

This is just an off year for him

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada

While it’s reasonable to believe he’s not going to contend for a hart again, I dont think he’s going to fall off a cliff either. I’d be willing to bet Carey still has a few great seasons left in the tank, he’s having a mediocre season, but great players have off years, I dont get this sky is falling mentality amongst hab fans. Especially when we’ve watched him carry the team year after year.

Jul 6, 2016
Really, Price cannot be blamed.... Only for the start of his season... Since then, he is pretty solid overall.

His team DON'T SCORE...

But I am still mad at his 8 years x 10,5 M $ contract.... Senseless.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Since Price returned November 25th from injury he's

1st in games started
2nd in most shots and saves (behind Halak funny enough)
14th in save percentage for goalies with at least 20 games started
And has allowed the 3rd most goals

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Really, Price cannot be blamed.... Only for the start of his season... Since then, he is pretty solid overall.

His team DON'T SCORE...

But I am still mad at his 8 years x 10,5 M $ contract.... Senseless.

I'm fine with the contract honestly. No issues at all. If he plays at the level I expect he will for the next few years Price should be the least of our worries

Also- he's having a bad year and not just the start. In many key games where we were close to staging a comeback he had a really bad game at the wrong time. Lack of consistency

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

1st in games started

See? That's very very average/mediocre for him.

14th in sv% ? That's bad. It's even worst when you consider you are making this as advantageous as possible for Price by selecting his supposed best stretch (whereas other goalies may have had better games prior and dipped a bit since Nov but overall still having a much better year)

So yeah. He can do a lot better. I'm confident he has a monstrous season next year to make up for it.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

1st in games started

What are you trying to tell us

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
and our 10.5 million dollar man ranks number 19th in the league.....wow what a bargain!!!

Fantasy top 25 goalie rankings for 2017-18

Fantasy rankings don’t mean much, unless you’re actually in one. But if you have a fantasy league, would you take a goalie with 15 wins halfway threw February and one shutout? Each league is different but those are usually the stats that hold the most weight in fantasy and he definitely doesn’t have them this season.

Reactions: Genesis76

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

1st in games started
Putting up a 12-13-4 record, 2.60 GAA and .917 save % looks pretty average, but when you factor that is with guys like Alzner, Jordie Benn and Joe Morrow playing in the top 4 D and logging over 19 mins a game it makes those stats look a lot better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Price can rebound but he needs to eliminate the soft goals. It was a concern early in his career and as become an issue for a pretty good sample size now. For me, it started in the playoff serious against the Rangers last year. I'm not concerned about his age and ability... I'm concerned about his confidence level. Habs need to be better all around and there is no need to point fingers. Last time we had a season like this we traded Subban for Weber due to "character" issues. If we have another year like this next year, then it might be time to blow it all up.

The entire team can be better. We need some positives heading into next year. This year we had roster turnover and lost two popular players in Markov and Radulov. Players were clearly not confident in this roster because we took a step back instead of a step forward.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Putting up a 12-13-4 record, 2.60 GAA and .917 save % looks pretty average, but when you factor that is with guys like Alzner, Jordie Benn and Joe Morrow playing in the top 4 D and logging over 19 mins a game it makes those stats look a lot better.
Price hasn't been quite himself this season, but that D out in front of him, really, seriously...brutal. The entire team has been terrible...this is on Bergevin, for sure.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The thing that concerns me most about Price is the fact that he signed that massive contract with this team, Bergevin's Canadiens. That's a major red flag because he has to know the kind of trainwreck the organisation currently is, with no signs of intelligent life or success in the near future.

Because he could've got that money anywhere. Teams would've lined up to throw him huge contracts. To me it just screams complacency and even giving up.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The thing that concerns me most about Price is the fact that he signed that massive contract with this team, Bergevin's Canadiens. That's a major red flag because he has to know the kind of trainwreck the organisation currently is, with no signs of intelligent life or success in the near future.

Because he could've got that money anywhere. Teams would've lined up to throw him huge contracts. To me it just screams complacency and even giving up.
Loyalty? I know, I know, he is not a dog, to borrow a phrase from our clown GM, but the team that drafted him, and gave him his chance/career, not to mention, it looks like even though he and his wife have had issues with the media, the guy wants to win a Cup, in Montreal!! The 84M dollars sure doesn't hurt, but he has total control and can ask to get out, any time he wants...

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

He's already been here under 3 different GMs and 5 different coaches, a lot can change in the future.

Reactions: BLONG7

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I’m not mad keen on his contract as I don’t think you should throw so much at a goalie but I’m hoping for at least above average performances for the rest of his contract and that he doesn’t turn into DiPietro. I’d like to see him put in another Vezina season but in all honesty can’t see it happening (and FWIW I didn’t think he deserved to be nominated last season). He just doesn’t seem to move as well as he did

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

That makes no sense

84M$. Why would he say No?

To maybe get more/as much elsewhere 1 year later? What if he got injured last year. Or had a bad year (which he's having right now). He'd be giving up a ton of money.

Also - loyalty yeah. The biggest reason Carey Price can command 84M$ is because of Montreal. The organization + city. They drafted him, helped him through hard times, probably helped his family
Fans love him, kids idolize him here etc etc

I'm sorry but throwing all of that a way to go free agency is a LOT. That's why so few franchise players make it that far.

To try and spin this as a way to show he's complacent and doesn't care doesn't add up at all imo.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's not about Price being supported. It's not about Price being awful. It's about Price, at 10M$, NOT showing an ounce of leadership, he gives up just like Pacioretty gives up, his "chilling" attitude is most likely a "there's a lot of other things than hockey" attitude. And is right now somebody, even at that amoutn of money, a goalie that needs EXACTLY what the just "good" goalie need a winning environment and a lot of defensive support. It says it all when you have to acquire a defensive d-man like Alzner to protect him while this guy is suppose to be the best in the biz, you still need to handle him as if he was just good and needs protection like every goalie needs. While the top scoers of the league, give them whoever, and they'Ll make them look like a star. Reason why giving so much money to a goalie makes NO SENSE. And we will pay the price for it.

I don't doubt for one second though that he has the talent, on a great winning team, to be great. No doubt. You would even see him WAY more awaken. And you might see him get back to his old trophies form. I have no doubt. But what it means, right now, is that he is NOT going to make you better. But he would make AN already great team clearly better. And for me, that's not what a 10M$ should about.

Reactions: Genesis76

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Anze Kopitar scored 12 goals last year...give us your thoughts on the Kings 10.5M dollar man...gotta feeling his 12 goals ranked him lower than 19th lol

See how it works...........

You gotta use percentile when you're comparing 2 complete COMPLETE diffeerent positions.

come on man, its basic maths theres way more forwards in the league than goalies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Guys, he is playing a TEAM sport at an elite level, and he is the only one on the team worth a dam....the whole thing is a joke, can you imagine the pressure on him. The organization is a joke, other players laugh at the Habs...The TEAM is awful.................he has proven, give him a decent, just a decent team, and we are in the playoffs.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

*steps up to and taps wand on podium*

CAREY PRICE SUUUUUUUCKS!

CAREY PRICE SUUUUUUUCKS!

he can barely be expected to stop the puck,
all his supporters blame his performance on our luck,

or on the defence,
or on karl alzner,

or on the hyp - no - CLOOAAAAAD

CAREY PRICE SUUUUUUUUUCKS!

Reactions: bluetib