Proposal: Carey Price to Colorado

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Price would be worth his contract on a good team. Maybe not dollar for dollar but at least not particularly overpaid. That being said, I don't think Colorado would want to trade for him since you don't need an elite goalie, you need an adequate goalie who gets hot at the right time, and those don't get paid a lot.

Reactions: MetalSlime

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Unless MTL is retaining 50%, no chance.

If Montreal retained 50% of the salary you would have to pay them a 1st to to get Price - Everyone forgets that the Habs would be nothing for years without Price. He still has gas left in the tank and would seriously make the Aves a cup contender. Given there is what 4 years between Grubauer and Price age wise, one is an elite talent and the other is middle of the pack.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If Montreal retained 50% of the salary you would have to pay them a 1st to to get Price - Everyone forgets that the Habs would be nothing for years without Price. He still has gas left in the tank and would seriously make the Aves a cup contender. Given there is what 4 years between Grubauer and Price age wise, one is an elite talent and the other is middle of the pack.

One has a Cup ring, the other is Carey Price...

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
listen up, Montreal fans: if you want Byram & Newhook from Colorado, the cost is going to be Price with 10% retention AND Weal AND Romanov AND Ikonen AND two second-round picks.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Price 25% retained + Weal + Lehkonen + 2021 2nd for Newhook, Byram and your 2020 1st.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Price 25% retained + Weal + Lehkonen + 2021 2nd for Newhook, Byram and your 2020 1st.
You have to be joking. Habs fans need to come back to earth. All I see is proposals where they heavily favour the Habs. Price’s contract is a killer for any team. Even with retention it’s still a high salary for a goalie

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Its more like Price @ 50 % retained, 1st in 2021 for Grubauer, 2nd in 2021.

Montreal fans need to get it in their heads that Price has negative value with this ugly contract of his even after retaining money taking into consideration age and duration of the contract.

Names like Byram or Newhook have absolutely 0 place in any discussions about Carey Price...

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
One has a Cup ring, the other is Carey Price...

Ba ha ha ha please tell me you aren't saying Phil is better because of a cup ring? Ba ha ha ha ha - shit I spit my coffee out that was so funny. Thank you for that, it was hilarious and the joke will be on me if you were serious about the value of one vs the other.

In case you were - below is the amazing cup performance that lifted the team
upload_2020-2-18_14-47-12.png

Dang bring back Jordan Nolan and Dan Carcillo and make sure you make some offers for those two time cup winners.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
listen up, Montreal fans: if you want Byram & Newhook from Colorado, the cost is going to be Price with 10% retention AND Weal AND Romanov AND Ikonen AND two second-round picks.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Asking for Weal is just way too much. What the hell are you thinking? ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Will never happen but just for fun I think the return would be Jost, Byram, Newhook, Francouz and a 2020 1st, some of Price's salary would have to be retained by Montreal as well.

Doubt it's Price that is being moved but lets play the game if it was true.... I do think you are close to the return we would take and yes, Price would come with retention ($8M - $9M) range IMO. Avs fans can flip out all they want with Byram and Newhook being in the mix. They would be hyprocrites cause remember the high demand for Duchene when we wanted him? Sergachev and a 1st for Duchene for 3 years? Not wanting to pay the price vs trolling the other teams player is two different conversations

Price from 32-36 with retention has more value than most fans on HF boards will admit. Listen to the comments actual NHL players say about Price. That trumps HF board opinions and troll evaluations

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Habs part with Caufield and a couple of 1sts and the new Seattle team might consider taking him next year at the expansion draft, NOBODY is giving up assets for that albatross of a contract

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Doubt it's Price that is being moved but lets play the game if it was true.... I do think you are close to the return we would take and yes, Price would come with retention ($8M - $9M) range IMO. Avs fans can flip out all they want with Byram and Newhook being in the mix. They would be hyprocrites cause remember the high demand for Duchene when we wanted him? Sergachev and a 1st for Duchene for 3 years? Not wanting to pay the price vs trolling the other teams player is two different conversations

Price from 32-36 with retention has more value than most fans on HF boards will admit. Listen to the comments actual NHL players say about Price. That trumps HF board opinions and troll evaluations

As usual you are completely out there with your opinion.
Duchene wasn't an aging asset locked up to one of the worst contracts in the league.
So no. There is no chance he would fetch a Byram and Newhook.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Ba ha ha ha please tell me you aren't saying Phil is better because of a cup ring? Ba ha ha ha ha - **** I spit my coffee out that was so funny. Thank you for that, it was hilarious and the joke will be on me if you were serious about the value of one vs the other.

In case you were - below is the amazing cup performance that lifted the team
View attachment 322701

Dang bring back Jordan Nolan and Dan Carcillo and make sure you make some offers for those two time cup winners.

We already have Ian Cole, so our quota of 2 time Cup winners who shouldn't still be playing NHL hockey is currently filled, thank you very much.

And, in a vacuum, Price is obviously the better goalie. But, as soon as contracts come into play, Grubauer is obviously the smarter choice. And, if Grubauer isn't good enough to get the job done, we won't need to worry about moving his contract, which expires after next season.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

1) Byram is much more touted as a prospect than sergachev was at that time.
2) Newhooks projection is that of a Duchene.
3) Duchene didn't cost 10m with 6 years left on his contract
4) we didn't ask for your top 2 prospects plus a first for an albatross contract

Where exactly are we being hypocrites lol

If we asked for Caufield, Romanov and a 1st for Carey price would you do it? Newhook = Caufield in terms of prospect level and Byram >>> Romanov in terms of prospect level. So ask yourself if you'd deal your top two prospects and a first for the most expensive goalie in the league.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
That's funny that Price is still considered a top goalie in the league but hf fans know better ;) that said I agree with Avs fans you do not trade two top prospects for that contract with Landeskog and Makar getting paid soon and the new Girard: contract:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->