Player Discussion Carey Price - The Non All-Star Edition

Will Price Ask for trade before end of season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would understand giving him an extension if he was 27 even 28, but a 8 years 10.5mil at 30 years old with injuries and concussion history, not smart. Can you imagine waiting a few more months and realizing he's hurt again playing only 49 games, things would have been much better for the team.
I would never want to go into a season with my biggest star unsigned. That's just flat out dumb to do. If he doesn't want to re-sign then I'd trade him before the season starts. No way I'd want a Tavares situation.

As far as waiting a few more months... we should've gotten a replacement for Markov and we didn't. If we did his numbers would be a hell of a lot better than they are. The goalie is not the problem. Repeatedly his numbers improve when he gets defensive help and crash when Weber goes away. I'm not sure what more you need to see here. And this guy did not need MVP defensemen either. Scandella helped his numbers immensely for Pete's sake. Just having fewer scrubs would help.

You are going to get smoked when one side is a rotating cast of waiver wire castoffs. That was the stupid part.

Reactions: BLONG7

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
He was signed on July 2nd 2017. Right after coming in 3rd in Vezina. He was universally regarded as the best goalie in the league.

And after signing him... we immediately let Markov and Radulov go.

Notice that in the 2017-18 season he played without Weber and got crushed.
Last year he was sub 900 until Weber came back and finished at .918.
This year he's been up and down numbers wise. When we got Scandella he went .936 onward. Then Weber got hurt and now he's sub .900 since.

Do you not see the pattern here?

When he gets help, his numbers are .920 plus. Without help, he drowns.

We signed him for 10 mil and then put him behind AHL D. THAT was stupid.

Exactly. Any time I mention that the team must prioritize surrounding him with a strong D, there is resistance. Every goal against the Wings was an odd man situation. He made that save on Larking and my jaw dropped. 5 minutes later and we are down 4-3. How? I've seen him let in stinkers, but the quality of shots he faces is ridiculous. Feel free to say he is declining but the reality is he is being wasted here.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I would never want to go into a season with my biggest star unsigned. That's just flat out dumb to do. If he doesn't want to re-sign then I'd trade him before the season starts. No way I'd want a Tavares situation.

As far as waiting a few more months... we should've gotten a replacement for Markov and we didn't. If we did his numbers would be a hell of a lot better than they are. The goalie is not the problem. Repeatedly his numbers improve when he gets defensive help and crash when Weber goes away. I'm not sure what more you need to see here. And this guy did not need MVP defensemen either. Scandella helped his numbers immensely for Pete's sake. Just having fewer scrubs would help.

You are going to get smoked when one side is a rotating cast of waiver wire castoffs. That was the stupid part.
People only see what they want to see.
It will be a small miracle this offseason, if the duo of Price/Weber somehow don't want out...........if MB gets fired, then maybe they will get excited about next year, but honestly especially if you are Price, how do you have faith in MB at this point.

Price, is far from perfect, but he is still the least of our problems....look to the top for the real issues.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This team would be much better if Bergevin had traded him with retention instead of extended him a year before during his RFA status.
The team would have been better, if they had never hired a clown for a GM...............

Hanging this farce on Price, is no way even close to what people should be thinking....

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
There has to be a frank conversation with Price after this season. Does he want to be a part of this thing or not?

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There has to be a frank conversation with Price after this season. Does he want to be a part of this thing or not?
What difference does this really make?

I mean seriously, we've put him behind a clownshow. We should ask him if he wants to waive his NTC but at the end of the day our GM is a moron. The moment we deal him away we'll tank badly and our GM doesn't want to do that.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
What difference does this really make?

I mean seriously, we've put him behind a clownshow. We should ask him if he wants to waive his NTC but at the end of the day our GM is a moron. The moment we deal him away we'll tank badly and our GM doesn't want to do that.
The difference is simple. We cannot trade him unless he agrees and we cannot afford to continually have him giving a half-assed effort. The air needs to be cleared with this player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The difference is simple. We cannot trade him unless he agrees and we cannot afford to continually have him giving a half-assed defense. The air needs to be cleared with this player.
Fixed that for you.

Once again, look at how his numbers rise and fall when he gets defensive help or it's taken away. It has nothing to do with effort.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Fixed that for you.

Once again, look at how his numbers rise and fall when he gets defensive help or it's taken away. It has nothing to do with effort.
I don't entirely agree, but ok. For the purpose of this conversation let's assume he's a fantastic goalie in a shitty situation. There will be takers for a fantastic goalie. Does he want out? Time to get on the same page with Price.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The difference is simple. We cannot trade him unless he agrees and we cannot afford to continually have him giving a half-assed effort. The air needs to be cleared with this player.
His effort has not been half assed..............Bergevin's has been for sure, but the entire team seems to be full of guys who try and care, but there is not enough talent outside of Price/Weber.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Is there any interest out there for the services of Carey Price such that Bergey has already spoken to him about waiving his no movement clause? (The way Price has played lately, it doesn't appear so. He's not playing motivated.)

A shrew GM, say Cliff Fletcher to the Flyers, should phone Bergey and offer him two 2020 high draft picks and have Bergey eat $3 M annually of Price's remaining salary. With Price in net and with Alain Vingneault (he has taken two teams to the Stanley Cup Final) behind the bench, the Flyers would not only improve their odds of making the playoffs but might go deep in the playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not entirely up to Price. He has an albatross contract, it's unlikely that many teams will want him .

Very few teams cause the ones who would want him require the following in context...

- Retention.. All teams ask for this really
- Cup Contender
- Need a goalie as one of their few holes
- Have the cap space to make it work
- NMC... Price would have to agree and that limits things

Avs are the only logical fit in terms of the context above. However, GM's will ask us to retain and also give us a low ball offer. Avs will need to be humbled in a few playoffs and start to blame their goalie for the reasons why they can't go far.

We are married to Price after that contract and yes, he is about $1 - $2M overpaid in terms of cap hit

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is there any interest out there for the services of Carey Price such that Bergey has already spoken to him about waiving his no movement clause? (The way Price has played lately, it doesn't appear so. He's not playing motivated.)

A shrew GM, say Cliff Fletcher to the Flyers, should phone Bergey and offer him two 2020 high draft picks and have Bergey eat $3 M annually of Price's remaining salary. With Price in net and with Alain Vingneault (he has taken two teams to the Stanley Cup Final) behind the bench, the Flyers would not only improve their odds of making the playoffs but might go deep in the playoffs.
The problem is that we've done all we can to reduce Price's trade value. By playing him behind scrubs it's hurt his numbers.

We should retain some salary for a good return. He should not just be given away.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
I probably hate on price more than most, and it’s not really because I think he’s a bad goaltender, he’s one of the better goalies in the league and he’s not even close to the top of the list of on-ice issues I have with this team... He’s just been put in a no-win situation by management and to some extent by the Canadian media. The media hung the “best goalie” in the world moniker on him and refuse to let it go, the broadcast crew on Saturday used it at least one during Saturday’s OT loss.

There was a time he was, but for some reason we now believe that is who is, prime Price was the best in the league during that stretch, but that’s not who he’s been the rest of his career and it’s unfair of us to think he’ll ever be that good. The league has a handful of goalies who have truly been elite at times in their careers, Price is one of them, but just one of them, no one is still calling Lundqvist the “best goalie” in the league during Ranger’s broadcasts – when Lundqvist entered the league, it was clear from the start he was some thing special – Price muddled along showing flashes of brilliance, but also loosing his starting job twice over his first six years.

Price - career
First six years – 310 games, 2.47Gaa - .913Sv%
Next four years – 199 games – 2.16Gaa - .928Sv%
Next three years – 166 games – 2.76Gaa - .910 Sv%

Lundqvist’s first six years – 406 games, 2.32 - .918Sv% - 3 x Vezina finalist, never out of the top six in voting. He didn’t finish out of the top six ant any point in his first 10 years in the league. Price finished in the top six four times in his first 10 years. They both got huge deals to the age 38.

Price has a huge deal, that’s not his fault – he is never going to be able to live up to that deal... it stands as a warning to other GMs, Price will be the highest paid goalie for the length of that deal, no one is going to give a goalie that much any time soon... because he’s the highest paid, we expect more out of him, but more than likely, he career will follow that of Lundqvist, who hasn’t been a top level goalie from age 33 on, after having been consistently a top level goalie for 10 consecutive years – if Lundqvist couldn’t do it with that pedigree, why on earth do we expect Price to do it. I’d be happy if Price could put up 2.76Gaa and .910Sv% playing the number of games he does – keep in mind, last year only six goalies 33 or older played 50 or more games and only Rinne and Fleury did so and had a better than league average Sv%. If price can put up these numbers, which are better than league average, while playing 50 or more games a year, he will be in rare company.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I probably hate on price more than most, and it’s not really because I think he’s a bad goaltender, he’s one of the better goalies in the league and he’s not even close to the top of the list of on-ice issues I have with this team... He’s just been put in a no-win situation by management and to some extent by the Canadian media. The media hung the “best goalie” in the world moniker on him and refuse to let it go, the broadcast crew on Saturday used it at least one during Saturday’s OT loss.

There was a time he was, but for some reason we now believe that is who is, prime Price was the best in the league during that stretch, but that’s not who he’s been the rest of his career and it’s unfair of us to think he’ll ever be that good. The league has a handful of goalies who have truly been elite at times in their careers, Price is one of them, but just one of them, no one is still calling Lundqvist the “best goalie” in the league during Ranger’s broadcasts – when Lundqvist entered the league, it was clear from the start he was some thing special – Price muddled along showing flashes of brilliance, but also loosing his starting job twice over his first six years.

Price - career
First six years – 310 games, 2.47Gaa - .913Sv%
Next four years – 199 games – 2.16Gaa - .928Sv%
Next three years – 166 games – 2.76Gaa - .910 Sv%

Lundqvist’s first six years – 406 games, 2.32 - .918Sv% - 3 x Vezina finalist, never out of the top six in voting. He didn’t finish out of the top six ant any point in his first 10 years in the league. Price finished in the top six four times in his first 10 years. They both got huge deals to the age 38.

Price has a huge deal, that’s not his fault – he is never going to be able to live up to that deal... it stands as a warning to other GMs, Price will be the highest paid goalie for the length of that deal, no one is going to give a goalie that much any time soon... because he’s the highest paid, we expect more out of him, but more than likely, he career will follow that of Lundqvist, who hasn’t been a top level goalie from age 33 on, after having been consistently a top level goalie for 10 consecutive years – if Lundqvist couldn’t do it with that pedigree, why on earth do we expect Price to do it. I’d be happy if Price could put up 2.76Gaa and .910Sv% playing the number of games he does – keep in mind, last year only six goalies 33 or older played 50 or more games and only Rinne and Fleury did so and had a better than league average Sv%. If price can put up these numbers, which are better than league average, while playing 50 or more games a year, he will be in rare company.
Put him behind a decent D and he'll be .920 pretty consistently. We've seen that as he gets defensive help his numbers improve and as it's taken away they sink. It's the same freaking goalie but the numbers are vastly different. And we've had tons of cap space to fix this issue as well.

At this point it doesn't matter though. Better for him and us to move on from him.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Sample size, I’m confident price just got on a roll. Scandella was horrible. Correlation != causation. His numbers fluctuate and I’m sure losing Weber has negative impact, acquiring Scandella and his numbers improving was nothing more than coincidence imo. He does need help though, this d is pretty horrendous. I found Price’s play during a sustained stretch when the games mattered to be completely subpar, whether behind an atrocious d or not he was giving up soft goals game after game and failing to make big saves in key situations. If he can’t bail them out from time to time then he shouldn’t be making 10.5 million. His numbers likely won’t look as bad as his season truly was at the end of the year, but he’s been pretty good for about a month in meaningless games. His poor play contributed to sinking the team too.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
Let’s eat some of his salary and trade him to a contender. He deserves to win. That won’t happen here with us.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sample size, I’m confident price just got on a roll. Scandella was horrible. Correlation != causation. His numbers fluctuate and I’m sure losing Weber has negative impact, acquiring Scandella and his numbers improving was nothing more than coincidence imo. He does need help though, this d is pretty horrendous. I found Price’s play during a sustained stretch when the games mattered to be completely subpar, whether behind an atrocious d or not he was giving up soft goals game after game and failing to make big saves in key situations. If he can’t bail them out from time to time then he shouldn’t be making 10.5 million. His numbers likely won’t look as bad as his season truly was at the end of the year, but he’s been pretty good for about a month in meaningless games. His poor play contributed to sinking the team too.
Yes, it is a small sample size if you just look at the past few months. But if you look at the whole it's pretty interesting isn't it? 2017-18 Weber was hurt and then off the roster altogether. Alzner was our number one and Price's numbers tanked.

The following year Price's numbers were bad until Weber showed up and then he was .930 onwards.

This year his numbers shot up to .936 with Scandella and immediately tanked when Weber got hurt.

It's happened too many times to be coincidence. And it's a large sample size over three years that we're able to see this.

I agree that Scandella's a scrub but he's better than Kulak. Having less Kulak means less gongshow moments. It was the same with Jordie Benn last year... good on the 3rd but horrible on the first.

Somebody started talking about how he was good in December and then bad after the break. Then I actually pulled the video... it's a clownshow.

I hope we trade the guy. He still has a really good shot at the HOF and can help some team win a cup. If we retain some salary we'd get something back for him and we can move on with Primeau. Keeping Price doesn't help anyone. He's a great goalie but he's not good enough to carry this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->