Injury Report: Carey Price suffered from chronic fatigue

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It will be interesting to see if Price`s contract has any ripple effect on other goaltenders contracts.

Don`t know who needs one soon Bobrosky? Holtby?
It will. Lundqvist was the first to set the bar after the cap came in and Price took pretty much the same cap hit percentage he did. The next guy will ask for the same thing.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It will. Lundqvist was the first to set the bar after the cap came in and Price took pretty much the same cap hit percentage he did. The next guy will ask for the same thing.
I could see similiar money OR term but both?

The level of play of all goaltenders seems to fluctuate from year to year and many related to serious injuries .

Alot of risk in tying your wagon to the same horse for a long time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I could see similiar money OR term but both?

The level of play of all goaltenders seems to fluctuate from year to year and many related to serious injuries .

Alot of risk in tying your wagon to the same horse for a long time.
Top goalies who are consistent year in and year out will get top dollar and term. For all the talk about how hard it is to get a center and how easy it is to get a goalie... how many top goalies get traded in their prime? It doesn't happen very often. Guys who are consistently near the top are held onto with dear life. The last thing you want is the team you've been built to be undone by netminding.

That's why I have to laugh when I hear how it's not important. If anything a goalie is probably the most important position on the team. If your star center doesn't score there are 11 other forwards and 6 other D to pick up the slack. That's not the case with goaltending.

Yes, there's more parity and there are more solid goalies out there than there used to be. But there aren't a lot of guys putting up Vezina caliber years on a consistent basis. Those guys are worth a lot.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Excuses excuses excuses

Its alot harder for all 23 men on the ice to be terrible at the same time.

Worst teams had better seasons. Carey had better stats in 2012 too.

The root of all evil this year was undeniably The guy who couldn’t stop a beach ball this year.
The habs do have 20 guys consistantly bad almost every game this year........Price is the least of our concerns...the league laughs at the Habs...........Price is our ONLY good player..........and when he is average we are an AHL team.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
No excuses for his poor start. That's on him. But he's been good behind a bad team since.

And?

Hockey is about momentum. The team was trying really hard when Carey wasn’t playing well. Eventually as a forward or D you get discouraged.

Hes indirectly responsible for breaking this team’s spirit. I’m not gonna start throwing him flowers now that he decided to wake up.

Guy is Carey Price your favourite player?

You’re defending him like he saved you from fire.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Top goalies who are consistent year in and year out will get top dollar and term. For all the talk about how hard it is to get a center and how easy it is to get a goalie... how many top goalies get traded in their prime? It doesn't happen very often. Guys who are consistently near the top are held onto with dear life. The last thing you want is the team you've been built to be undone by netminding.

That's why I have to laugh when I hear how it's not important. If anything a goalie is probably the most important position on the team. If your star center doesn't score there are 11 other forwards and 6 other D to pick up the slack. That's not the case with goaltending.

Yes, there's more parity and there are more solid goalies out there than there used to be. But there aren't a lot of guys putting up Vezina caliber years on a consistent basis. Those guys are worth a lot.
That`s my point though.

It`s rare to see any goaltender at or near the top of the stats for very long anymore

Personally I would avoid a long , long deal with any of the current names unless it was real cap friendly.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That`s my point though.

It`s rare to see any goaltender at or near the top of the stats for very long anymore

Personally I would avoid a long , long deal with any of the current names unless it was real cap friendly.
Lundqvist and Rinne are doing fine. Luongo's at the age where Price will be when his contract's over and he's playing well... Elite talents burn brighter longer.

What doesn't make sense though is to sign him for 8 years and then let key players go. Who do we have on this team who's close to a star player now? THAT makes no sense to me at all.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Lundqvist and Rinne are doing fine. Luongo's at the age where Price will be when his contract's over and he's playing well... Elite talents burn brighter longer.

What doesn't make sense though is to sign him for 8 years and then let key players go. Who do we have on this team who's close to a star player now? THAT makes no sense to me at all.
How long is the career of a goaltender, even the 'elite'?

Ken Dryden`s entire NHL career was 8 years. Any goaltenders among the best after 35 seem rare.

In the history of the league, I believe there have only been a handful of goaltenders with 20ish year careers.

This was a high risk contract to me so I will be interested when the next team makes that type of commitment to any goaltender, especially a 30ish year old.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How long is the career of a goaltender, even the 'elite'?

Ken Dryden`s entire NHL career was 8 years. Any goaltenders among the best after 35 seem rare.

In the history of the league, I believe there have only been a handful of goaltenders with 20ish year careers.

This was a high risk contract to me so I will be interested when the next team makes that type of commitment to any goaltender, especially a 30ish year old.
Dryden retired after winning a cup it's not like he was washed up. That was totally his decision. And you can't compare the 70s to today, the conditioning is totally different.

The fact is that Price and Lundqvist are exceptionally good goalies. They are franchise players and you're going to have to pay for that. You can't just let the guy walk.

As much as we would've liked to have had a sweeter contract on our side, it doesn't work that way. Superstars esp are pressed to go for as much as they can because they're the ones who raise the salaries for other players. They can't take sweetheart deals because it takes away the ladder for others.

And as I've said before 10 million seems like a lot now. It won't be that big eight years from now. The cap's already jumped four million since he signed his deal.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
10 mil is a bargain for a goaltender who won everything but a Stanley Cup.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not so sure about that.

Look at Edmonton and Buffalo. They have #1c but they lack a good #1 goalie. You could add Vancouver to the list. Carolina also has some problems finding someone to take Ward's spot (Darling is such a fail). Philadelphia has been switching goalies for a long time without finding a true #1 (is Elliot a saviour?). Sometimes I feel like the Islanders don't like Halak at all (he played 27 games in the AHL last year). Jake Allen is almost average in St. Louis. Who will be #1 in Florida once Luongo retires? Reimer (meh)? Calgary has had trouble since Kipprusoff retired and Smith ain't young. The Jets might have found their guy in Hellebuyck but it took them a while

.. and so on.

Both are difficult but one is easier than the other (top 10 NHL Goalie vs #1C).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who cares who are our prospects or veterans. This team is bottom 3rd in the league like 2012.

In 2012 though, we had 3 23 to 25 year olds who would end up being Norris, Vezina, Hart winners and 35 goal scorers.

We have nothing even close to that.

Want to minimize how good that is to have ? Go through history and look at what kind of success teams with both Vezina and Norris winners had.

MB's tenure is a massive failure.

It's not as bad as you pretend it to be and every year is different. We had a terrible off season so we should not be surprised this year is a lost year. We have certain pieces we can build around but the key is to add through the draft and be patient. Remains to be seen if our GM can do this or we get another one.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Holtby and Bobrovsky will be about 30 when their current contracts expire - I don’t see a team locking up either of them on anything longer than a 6 year deal, but probably for more than Bishop got - 6 years 29 million.

Probably for more ?

Bob isn't signing for less than 10M, he already makes 7.5 while adding a Vezina.

Holtby already makes more. Unless he falls off the face of the earth, he'll get paid too.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Dryden retired after winning a cup it's not like he was washed up. That was totally his decision. And you can't compare the 70s to today, the conditioning is totally different.

The fact is that Price and Lundqvist are exceptionally good goalies. They are franchise players and you're going to have to pay for that. You can't just let the guy walk.

As much as we would've liked to have had a sweeter contract on our side, it doesn't work that way. Superstars esp are pressed to go for as much as they can because they're the ones who raise the salaries for other players. They can't take sweetheart deals because it takes away the ladder for others.

And as I've said before 10 million seems like a lot now. It won't be that big eight years from now. The cap's already jumped four million since he signed his deal.
Have you read "The Game"?

Dryden acknowledged he was starting to lose it.

What are a goaltender`s peak years?

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
But all that matters for the team paying their player 10M is what he does in the NHL.

Well if said team wants him to win the cup with them, they should probably surround him with talent. This team is terrible.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Have you read "The Game"?

Dryden acknowledged he was starting to lose it.

What are a goaltender`s peak years?
He was the best goalie in the game when he retired. Dryden was a different cat than most hockey players. If he'd stuck around we might've even won another cup.

As for peak years, it's different across the board. Some guys like Thomas and Hasek had their best years after 30. Hasek's entire career is basically from age 29 and onwards.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Holtby and Bobrovsky will be about 30 when their current contracts expire - I don’t see a team locking up either of them on anything longer than a 6 year deal, but probably for more than Bishop got - 6 years 29 million.

You seriously think the Caps or Jackets, two playoff teams, are going to let their Vezina caliber goalies walk over term? Replace them with rookies or journeymen goalies?

Both of those guys will get 8 years + Carey Price money because they have the same problem Montreal did: They have no other choice.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Actually, that reinforces my point. You have to actually build a team. You can't just have one player and hope that he'll win everything for you. Gretzky couldn't do it and neither could Lemieux or Yzerman. They all needed great teams. Look at McDavid this year... one guy isn't going to get you anywhere.

We agree on this.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I suffer from chronic fatigue just from watching this team play remotely. I can only imagine how bad it looks at ice level...

Oh well, it's not like he was forced to sign the longest deal possible?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Goalies are unpredictable when it comes to peaks. Some figure it out late. Some are early bloomers. Lots of examples in history of goalies changing diet or style later in their career and suddenly turning their careers around. I think Tim Thomas was in his 30s when he became a starter in Boston, while Devan Dubnyk was on his way out of the NHL and was in our AHL system the year prior to him claiming the starter spot in Minnesota.

But I guess for the most part goalies become starters in their mid 20s and slow down in their early 30s, but again, it's impossible to know. Almost every goalie is different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->