Injury Report: Carey Price suffered from chronic fatigue

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Those 3 decent pieces are enough to allow you to rebuild almost instanly.

Disagree.

- Subban was the elite piece.

- A goalie is not hard to find vs a #1C. I never agreed with how we put him on a pedestal.

- Patch was a very good piece. He's not elite level and he don't generate scoring chances when you need him to.

- Prospect pool sucked. We had some pieces in Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc but there was major drop off after that in quality. Tinordi and Leblanc busting as 1st round picks hurt bad. 8 top 100 picks is just not going to be good enough. Talk about hope!

Reactions: Genesis76

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
Disagree.

- A goalie is not hard to find vs a #1C. I never agreed with how we put him on a pedestal.

- Patch was a very good piece. He's not elite level and he don't generate scoring chances when you need him to.

- Prospect pool sucked. We had some pieces in Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc but there was major drop off after that in quality. Tinordi and Leblanc busting as 1st round picks hurt bad. 8 top 100 picks is just not going to be good enough. Talk about hope!
if those 3 are only decent, than how is what we have now good?
what do you project the prospects we currently have to be? 1st line forwards, 2nd line?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Landau was the best actorc of that series. He was labelled to play on that serie with the story of his jewish parents escaping from nazis in Europ. Landau was also a roomate with James Dean when he was a young actor. He was married with Barbara Bain and they left the show when she got pregnant.

You can search what Peter Lupus did after the show, like what centerfold page he posed in the '70's, lol.
But the most funny after-career is Peter Graves as a weird sex deviant airplane pilot in Airplane, lol.

There was originally another actor in the Peter Graves role. The same guy went on to the the old DA in the original Law and Order

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
if those 3 are only decent, than how is what we have now good?
what do you project the prospects we currently have to be? 1st line forwards, 2nd line?

Well, we have better vets today with Price, Weber, Patch vs Markov and Pleky. Then add Drouin, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher who are very good young pieces still in their prime years. The major difference to me is the prospect pool. We have at least 3 times as many (Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc) type prospects and so much potential for surprises like Mete. 23 top 100 picks in 6 drafts is a good thing.

Were not in awesome shape but it's better than back in 2012 IMO. We have not mortgaged the future and we have 7 top 100 picks in the next draft which is a big deal.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I just finished a book on Jacques Plante and there are reminders of the toll playing goal takes on the physical and mental well being. Plus add in the microscope of the market.

Different eras but guys like Bill Durnan and Gerry McNeil (who were still top players) just walked away. Years later so did Ken Dryden.

In Plante`s case he ended up in the minors the year after the 5 cup run, bounced back with a Hart trophy season and then had one last injury filled season before he was traded away just to get him out of town. (The Habs got Gump Worsley but they sent him to the minors and Plante was replaced by Charlie Hodge).

Everyone probably remembers how the Roy era ended when he decided that he had had enough. Theodore went from Hart winner to traded within a few years.

That is why I was shocked when the Habs gave Price that contract. History has a way of repeating itself and the history of goaltenders wearing down in their thirties seems frequent. How many goaltenders of any age ever have two great years in a row lately?

We`ll see how it turns out, but history doesn`t instill much confidence..

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Disagree.

You got me at point #1 and #2

However...all I said is he was the best since Serge Savard.

Bergevin added absolutly nothing.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Well, we have better vets today with Price, Weber, Patch vs Markov and Pleky. Then add Drouin, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher who are very good young pieces still in their prime years. The major difference to me is the prospect pool. We have at least 3 times as many (Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc) type prospects and so much potential for surprises like Mete. 23 top 100 picks in 6 drafts is a good thing.

Were not in awesome shape but it's better than back in 2012 IMO. We have not mortgaged the future and we have 7 top 100 picks in the next draft which is a big deal.

Dude all those guys you named were a direct or indirect result of Gainey's and Gauthier's era (exept Mete)

Since then Bergevin has done absolutly nothing.

For Bergevin Mete was a surprise.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You got me at point #1 and #2

However...all I said is he was the best since Serge Savard.

Bergevin added absolutly nothing.

Personally, I don't see much difference between Gainey and Bergevin. They both started well and failed in the end for different reasons. Were about to start another 5+ year cycle... maybe. I'm just happy we are turning the corner with our prospect pool... still a ways to go yet

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Probably the fact that from 13-14 to today the team is built around Price shutting the door and the team scoring just enough to win. And he was the best player in the world in 2015. And the team completely collapsed without him in 2016. And this season was a bust because he struggled in October. This club is completely fragile and completely dependent on Price. That's why he's on a pedestal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Probably the fact that from 13-14 to today the team is built around Price shutting the door and the team scoring just enough to win. And he was the best player in the world in 2015. And the team completely collapsed without him in 2016. And this season was a bust because he struggled in October. This club is completely fragile and completely dependent on Price. That's why he's on a pedestal.

Price is/was one of the best, not the undisputed best. We employed a team defense that worked with him in net. But I am not a supporter of the "Habs are nothing without Price" propaganda and believe it's a team game. We suck this year because we have bad team defense. We lost the strength to our team and now we look really bad.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dude all those guys you named were a direct or indirect result of Gainey's and Gauthier's era (exept Mete)

Since then Bergevin has done absolutly nothing.

For Bergevin Mete was a surprise.

Every single contract we have today was negotiated by Bergevin (good and bad). All NHL GM's inherit a team when they take the job. Mete was a surprise just like Gallagher was. The key is quantity to increase your probability of hitting on targets.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
That is a load of nonsense. We had an absolutely terrible system those years and were bottom third in shots for and against.

So a good or bad system is defined on the total number of shots for or againts?

This...this is what a load of nonsense is.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So a good or bad system is defined on the total number of shots for or againts?

This...this is what a load of nonsense is.
You think we played well in 2014 and 15? We were bottom third across the board. Therrien had his system and we sucked.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
You think we played well in 2014 and 15? We were bottom third across the board. Therrien had his system and we sucked.

You're asking the wrong guy, I think Price was sharper those years but I also think Subban was a monster too.

Btw in 13-14 if it wasn't for Budaj we were not making the playoffs.

I think most of the times our "system" collapsed it was directly related to the goalie.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You're asking the wrong guy, I think Price was sharper those years but I also think Subban was a monster too.

Btw in 13-14 if it wasn't for Budaj we were not making the playoffs.

I think most of the times our "system" collapsed it was directly related to the goalie.
What a surprise.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
There was originally another actor in the Peter Graves role. The same guy went on to the the old DA in the original Law and Order
That's Stephen Hill, real name Solomon Krakovsky. He was good. He was team leader of Mission Impossible in the first season. Because he was a jewish following sabbath he refused to play from friday afternoon to saturday and he lost his job even if the production knew it in advance. They fired him. It happened on episode 23 "Action", this is the only time when Cinnamon Carter (Barbara Bain) receive the instructions at the beginning. The rest of the season we barely see him, it's strange to see his face and name in the opening and not see him in the show. He quitted playing on tv for a decade and made a return in Law and Order. Hollywood have his strick rules.
Season 2 it's Peter Graves.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Who cares who are our prospects or veterans. This team is bottom 3rd in the league like 2012.

In 2012 though, we had 3 23 to 25 year olds who would end up being Norris, Vezina, Hart winners and 35 goal scorers.

We have nothing even close to that.

Want to minimize how good that is to have ? Go through history and look at what kind of success teams with both Vezina and Norris winners had.

MB's tenure is a massive failure.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Another MB failure. This one defies statistical probability, while spitting in the faces of basic mitigation and risk management...

Why in the hell would any NHL team build around the most scarce position? I don't know either.

Price is doomed.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Another MB failure. This one defies statistical probability, while spitting in the faces of basic mitigation and risk management...

Why in the hell would any NHL team build around the most scarce position? I don't know either.

Price is doomed.

Because it can help a bubble team get into the playoffs or it can help a good team turn into a division leader. I don’t think Molson cares about a cup. Bergevin saw in the past that elite goaltending could mask average/good teams and probably knows just making the playoffs will be good enough to stay employed. What he wasn’t prepared for was Price is just as human as anyone else in this league and can’t just carry any garbage team. If there’s one negative that I agree with a lot of Price haters on, it would be the argument that has been made countless times over the past several years and that’s you could put Price on any bottom feeder and they would instantly be a playoff team. That whole myth was blown out of proportion and proven not to be true this year. It takes a lot more then goaltending to be a successful team.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Disagree.

I'm not so sure about that.

Look at Edmonton and Buffalo. They have #1c but they lack a good #1 goalie. You could add Vancouver to the list. Carolina also has some problems finding someone to take Ward's spot (Darling is such a fail). Philadelphia has been switching goalies for a long time without finding a true #1 (is Elliot a saviour?). Sometimes I feel like the Islanders don't like Halak at all (he played 27 games in the AHL last year). Jake Allen is almost average in St. Louis. Who will be #1 in Florida once Luongo retires? Reimer (meh)? Calgary has had trouble since Kipprusoff retired and Smith ain't young. The Jets might have found their guy in Hellebuyck but it took them a while

.. and so on.

Reactions: aresknights

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm not so sure about that.

Look at Edmonton and Buffalo. They have #1c but they lack a good #1 goalie. You could add Vancouver to the list. Carolina also has some problems finding someone to take Ward's spot (Darling is such a fail). Philadelphia has been switching goalies for a long time without finding a true #1 (is Elliot a saviour?). Sometimes I feel like the Islanders don't like Halak at all (he played 27 games in the AHL last year). Jake Allen is almost average in St. Louis. Who will be #1 in Florida once Luongo retires? Reimer (meh)? Calgary has had trouble since Kipprusoff retired and Smith ain't young. The Jets might have found their guy in Hellebuyck but it took them a while

.. and so on.
You're right, some team are bad at goalie position and it hurts them. But with your list, about 75% of teams are okay with thier goalie. A team might be excellent almost every position, if the goalie sucks, this team has no chance.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
You're right, some team are bad at goalie position and it hurts them. But with your list, about 75% of teams are okay with thier goalie. A team might be excellent almost every position, if the goalie sucks, this team has no chance.

They're probably alright with their goalies but if they could get an upgrade, they would probably do it in a heartbeat. If you look at all goalies in the league (starters + backup and even farm teams), how many goalies would you take as your number 1 right now? Some goalies have had decent stats as backups over the years but never managed to fulfill the number 1 position. Cam Talbot was fine as a backup for the Rangers and did even better in his first two years in Edmonton.. but this season, he's awful. Raanta was another decent backup and was posting decent stats early on. Carolina believed Scott Darling could fill in, he can't... well maybe next year, he could be back in form. Who knows.

I should have added that: most teams that I was talking about have had problems finding a number 1 goalie for years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Price is doomed.
Fine to build around any position. For many years the best player in the league was a winger. We've seen teams win with goaltending, D and offense... But you have to actually BUILD around that player.

And we didn't just have one cornerstone player, we had two. One's gone and the other is probably on his way out.

Good young team and we screwed it up. And that's f***ing tragic.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariolemieux66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad