Player Discussion Carey Price - Spring Savings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
About time for Price to choke. He's widely inconsistent
Pls don’t make me question your hockey knowledge, since you’ve forgotten more than I know...

Now 16-0 when his team scores 3G or more in playoffs combined with best sv% for goalies in NHL over last 38GP, which spans 6-years.

Yes Price was inconsistent in the playoffs early in his career, but he’s simply the best money goalie in the NHL right now & has been since his MVP 14-15 season.

Last edited:

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I think both goals price would like to have back. The first goal I can’t blame him as there was a maze of players in front of him, but he never put himself in a good position to make the save. The 2nd one he has to have IMO. Other than that he made some huge saves that more than make up for it. Great game overall.

The second goal Price moves slightly to his right because he expects Petry to block the shot and have the short side covered. Petry didnt block the shot and it finds a hole by his glove. Habs need to get to players in time or get out of the way. One of the Vegas players did that last night, didnt put his stick in the way because he knew he had Lehkonen I believe, funneled to one side and there was nothing to be done but let Fleruy make the save.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think both goals price would like to have back. The first goal I can’t blame him as there was a maze of players in front of him, but he never put himself in a good position to make the save. The 2nd one he has to have IMO. Other than that he made some huge saves that more than make up for it. Great game overall.
The second one I'm sure he wanted back. It's not a terrible goal but he's beaten cleanly on that one.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Not trying to jinx, just an observation. If Price wins the Conn Smythe and we win the cup, Price will become the only goalie in history to win every possible major award a goalie can win. Hasek is the closest but no Smythe.

Reactions: Sagikev

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If we win the cup and he wins the Conn Smythe - will it be the first time in history an AHL player to end the season gets called up and wins the smythe in the NHL playoffs?
It has been a LOL moment on how the TO media were laughing on how Price went down for a conditioning stint, played two periods, allowed 2 goals.........and got himself ready for game action.
They were ALL over this............couldn't stop talking about it......and then what happened...? They got Price'd!!! lol

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not trying to jinx, just an observation. If Price wins the Conn Smythe and we win the cup, Price will become the only goalie in history to win every possible major award a goalie can win. Hasek is the closest but no Smythe.
That’s kinda crazy. Joe Nieuwendyk was the worst selection in history. No way he should’ve won over Hasek.

Another interesting award up for grabs is the Campbell conference title. It would be so cool if we won that.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
How would you guys feel about this story line, Price wins the cup and then asks to be unprotected so that Seattle can pick him. I love Price but that would be an epic story and a big f you to us and the city for giving him a hard time.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Woooh never taught about that ! Not many player should have resume either
- Hart/Vezina/Lindsey/Jennings
- Gold Medal OG
- Gold Medal WJC
- Gold Medal WC
- AHL Cup + MVP

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Woooh never taught about that ! Not many player should have resume either
- Hart/Vezina/Lindsey/Jennings
- Gold Medal OG
- Gold Medal WJC
- Gold Medal WC
- AHL Cup + MVP
- CHL goaltender of the year - final year of juniors w Tri City

- Tournament top goaltender: World U17, IIHF World U18, WJC, Olympics, World Cup

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Did you guys see the latest NHLPA players poll released yesterday? There's a thread on the main boards about it.

"Best goalie voted by players - #1 Vasi ~54%, #2 Fleury ~8.9% #3 Price ~8.2%"

NHLPA Player Poll 2020-21

Price had been winning these polls as best goalie by players every year for past ~4-5 years. NHLPA poll + Athletic polls, both. This is first time he loses. I don't know that he'll care much with Fleury, since it's it's super close anyways.

But if we make it to the finals and face off with Tampa - I 100% guarantee Price will be extremely aware of this and want to prove players wrong about whose still #1. He's so competitive - there's no way he doesn't care about that stuff :laugh:

For what it's worth - I think Price is better than Vasi, but I have no problem Vasi being voted #1. He has the track record and consistency over past few years, and Price does not. He's the one goalie I'd be fine ranking above Price (I'd still take Price over him for a game/playoff run/seeason).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
That’s kinda crazy. Joe Nieuwendyk was the worst selection in history. No way he should’ve won over Hasek.

Another interesting award up for grabs is the Campbell conference title. It would be so cool if we won that.

You've said in a few posts a few days back that if Price wins the smythe it's arguably the greatest smythe ever. And I wanted to reply to you and tell you you're out of your mind, it's only round 2, calm your horses, etc etc.

But I didn't respond to those posts of yours, because after thinking about it I actually don't think you're that far off lol. For a goalie at least (give me the Gretzky/Lemieux stuff first). It comes down to the fact that I don't think there's ever been a Cinderella team that's gone all the way to win the cup before...if we win, we become the first. So many similar teams make it to the finals....but then lose. If we somehow won this year, by virtue of being the biggest cinderella run ever (and assuming Price continues to play strong, which he'd have to for us to win cup) - I think he'd have an argument for the best goalie performance ever in playoffs.

Which is pretty damn cool.

But of course - this still means nothing as of today. He's not even top 30 goalie performance all-time as of today, as round 2 still means nothing. So we'll have to wait and see

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The second goal Price moves slightly to his right because he expects Petry to block the shot and have the short side covered. Petry didnt block the shot and it finds a hole by his glove. Habs need to get to players in time or get out of the way. One of the Vegas players did that last night, didnt put his stick in the way because he knew he had Lehkonen I believe, funneled to one side and there was nothing to be done but let Fleruy make the save.
He’s gotta have that one.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You've said in a few posts a few days back that if Price wins the smythe it's arguably the greatest smythe ever. And I wanted to reply to you and tell you you're out of your mind, it's only round 2, calm your horses, etc etc.
Yeah, it’s entirely theoretical and a massive long shot. Im not suggesting for a second that his first two rounds are the best ever either. What I was saying is that the path that lies ahead is going to be ridiculously hard.

That’s why I hold Dryden’s run in such high regard. It’s why I think Hasek’s run was so insane. He almost did the unthinkable.
But I didn't respond to those posts of yours, because after thinking about it I actually don't think you're that far off lol. For a goalie at least (give me the Gretzky/Lemieux stuff first). It comes down to the fact that I don't think there's ever been a Cinderella team that's gone all the way to win the cup before...if we win, we become the first. So many similar teams make it to the finals....but then lose. If we somehow won this year, by virtue of being the biggest cinderella run ever (and assuming Price continues to play strong, which he'd have to for us to win cup) - I think he'd have an argument for the best goalie performance ever in playoffs.

Which is pretty damn cool.

But of course - this still means nothing as of today. He's not even top 30 goalie performance all-time as of today, as round 2 still means nothing. So we'll have to wait and see
The Gretzky/Lemieux points are crazy. No doubt. But they never won with a crappy team either. There were no Cinderella wins for either of them. '93 would be the closest but they both won on stacked teams.

I mean, there aren't that many Cinderella runs to begin with. Those that I can think of were a goalie playing out of his mind. Giguere, Hasek, Dryden... and in two of those, the team doesn't win. Find me a better individual performance than Dryden. You could absolutely say Gretzky in 85 but that team was so stacked it didn't even need Gretz to win. I mean, they won the cup in 1990 without him. Beating the Hawks and Bruins in the same run is amazing esp on the run down team that he was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->