Player Discussion Carey Price - Spring Savings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Easily. But Price is in that next level with Lunqvist and Fleury. I"d probably take King Henry, Price and than Fleury.
Yeah, for me with them 3 it's a tough call. I think Price at his best is better than Fleury and Lundqvist, but that might just be my bias as a Habs fan. Both have gone further than Price in the playoffs though. This next series is really going to define the way I see Price though, as well as his legacy overall, I feel. I hope he and the team can pull it off.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, for me with them 3 it's a tough call. I think Price at his best is better than Fleury and Lundqvist, but that might just be my bias as a Habs fan. Both have gone further than Price in the playoffs though. This next series is really going to define the way I see Price though, as well as his legacy overall, I feel. I hope he and the team can pull it off.
Fleury and Lundqvist never had the team Price had in front of him tho.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Reactions: azcanuck

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The only time Hank went further was when Kreider ran Price and the Rangers advanced past Montreal.

No doubt in my mind we’d have beaten NY that year. Not taking anything away from Lundqvist, he’s a stud and in the same class of goalie that Price is. But there’s no way we don’t advance that year if Price isn’t run.

As for Price vs those other greats, nobody is better than Hasek. And those with cups will always been seen as greater. No doubt about that. As a goalie though, I think Price is every bit as good as Roy. He’s been far more consistent in the playoffs and led lesser teams to series wins that we never saw Roy do. I have no doubt that if you flip the teams around Price would have multiple cups. Without a doubt.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The only time Hank went further was when Kreider ran Price.

No doubt in my mind we’d have beaten NY that year.

As for Price vs those other greats, nobody is better than Hasek. As a goalie though, I think Price is every bit as good as Roy. He’s been far more consistent in the playoffs and led lesser teams to series wins that we never saw Roy do. I have no doubt that if you flip the teams around Price would have multiple cups. Without a doubt.
Oh yeah Fleury had some guys named Crosby & Malkin for most of his career

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh yeah Fleury had some guys named Crosby & Malkin for most of his career
If Price were on the Penguin teams... they’d have won a few more cups for sure. Fleury took a lot of blame for the losses they suffered. He was total class though and I was really happy for him in Vegas. I just hope he has an off series against us. :laugh:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If Price were on the Penguin teams... they’d have won a few more cups for sure. Fleury took a lot of blame for the losses they suffered. He was total class though and I was really happy for him in Vegas. I just hope he has an off series against us. :laugh:
Fleury is one of the few NHL players I’d love to meet, I get the feel he’s a real down to earth “good guy”...but that goal in 2010 to Moen...woah!

There’s been lots of those types of goals he’s given up to Habs over the year.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
We might be seeing Price building the last block of his legacy right in front of our eyes.

He was robbed of his first opportunity by Kreider. This is his shot at true greatness. I expect a stellar series from him. He’s been inconsistent to say the least in the last few years, but when on his game he is the best in the game, no doubt.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
AFDB272E-419B-4A21-A0BE-C16C4F6EAA89.jpeg

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The only time Hank went further was when Kreider ran Price and the Rangers advanced past Montreal.

No doubt in my mind we’d have beaten NY that year. Not taking anything away from Lundqvist, he’s a stud and in the same class of goalie that Price is. But there’s no way we don’t advance that year if Price isn’t run.

As for Price vs those other greats, nobody is better than Hasek. And those with cups will always been seen as greater. No doubt about that. As a goalie though, I think Price is every bit as good as Roy. He’s been far more consistent in the playoffs and led lesser teams to series wins that we never saw Roy do. I have no doubt that if you flip the teams around Price would have multiple cups. Without a doubt.

I love Price and think he's great and all but the extent to which you undervalue Roy is incredible. Not the first time i see you say this.

He's the best playoff goalie of all time by far, and also certainly the most consistent one. Its true that he usually played on better teams than Price has - but so what, he also won consistently even when his team had no business going all the way.

Roy > Hasek by a lot for playoffs.
Roy > Price by a lot for playoffs.

Lets see what Price does in round 3. I have extremely high expecations too, so lets see. Also - we might have beaten NY in 2014 and we might not have. I think in both 2010 and 2014 by the time we reached round 3 we were no longer big underdogs, and it hurt us. We do better as underdogs. I dont dislike this matchup vs Vegas

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

I don’t agree with this tbh. Price was playing crazy good, but DT wasn’t the reason we lost that series. The rags were the better team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I love Price and think he's great and all but the extent to which you undervalue Roy is incredible. Not the first time i see you say this.

He's the best playoff goalie of all time by far, and also certainly the most consistent one. Its true that he usually played on better teams than Price has - but so what, he also won consistently even when his team had no business going all the way.

Lets see what Price does in round 3. I have extremely high expecations too, so lets see. Also - we might have beaten NY in 2014 and we might not have. I think in both 2010 and 2014 by the time we reached round 3 we were no longer big underdogs, and it hurt us. We do better as underdogs. I dont dislike this matchup vs Vegas
You can’t ignore the teams Hasek was on. And he almost pulled off the unthinkable in 99. Also beat Roy head to head when he was older on a similarly stacked team as well as in Olympic competition. He’s just a flat out better goalie. I hate to say this man. I did not like Hasek at all. Roy won us cups and I’d love to say he was better but I don’t see it.

And Roy wasn’t consistent. When he was on he was spectacular but there were times he was just flat out bad.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don’t agree with this tbh. Price was playing crazy good, but DT wasn’t the reason we lost that series. The rags were the better team.
The Rangers were able to dump in the puck at will against us. It was a completely different series without Price in nets. Even with DT in nets we still managed two wins. And up to that point Price had owned the Rangers in his career.

Nobody is ever going to convince me that we would’ve lost that series. Prime Subban and Price, I have no doubt we were at least going to the finals that year.

Reactions: tooji

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You can’t ignore the teams Hasek was on. And he almost pulled off the unthinkable in 99. Also beat Roy head to head when he was older on a similarly stacked team as well as in Olympic competition. He’s just a flat out better goalie. I hate to say this man. I did not like Hasek at all. Roy won us cups and I’d love to say he was better but I don’t see it.

And Roy wasn’t consistent. When he was on he was spectacular but there were times he was just flat out bad.

1. Hasek has a better record than Roy head to head. That's true - but that hardly means anything? We're talking about a sample of ~20 games in a ~20 year career. Goalie head to head matchups are fun to track as fans, but completely meaningless in actuality. If Fleury ends up much better than Price - will you use that as an argument that he's a better goalie, because he happened to be better head to head? It's meaningless. Pretty cool for the player's ego maybe, but that's about it.

2. Hasek had a great run in 1999. Not as good as Roy's playoffs in 1993. Possibly not as good as a few others, such as 1989, 1986, 2001, 1996....yeah Roy is a monster playoff performer. The only player in history who can go head to head with Gretzky for playoffs. You are seriously underrating him.

You can't just give Hasek the edge because he plays on a bad team. His performances have to match/be better too. Otherwise - is McDavid better than Crosby because he's on a worst team? Or - better than Gretzky?

Roy >> Hasek for playoffs. For peak/prime/career.
Hasek has the better regular season record though (though Roy is no slouch there either).

Bottom line - I think you are massively underrating Roy in some of your posts.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Roy wasn’t very good from 87-92, he was thoroughly outplayed in the 89 Cup finals by Mike Vernon, and horrendous vs Bruins in 90-92.

Habs don’t win in 86 without Roy and 93 without Roy + luck (OT wins) + DiPietro...I won’t argue that point.

Roy always had teams far deeper than any team Price has been on - this edition is the deepest. Roy also played in an era (w Habs) where there was almost no player autonomy, his GM wasn’t hindered in acquiring players until experiencing the beginning of it in 93 (Bellows)

That’s not Roy’s fault by any means, it just is what it is.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trust what the players say every single year and what Byron just said... "I have no doubt in my mind that all the players think Price is the best goalie in the world".

He's a victim of being in Montreal on teams with flaws almost every single year. The roster this year has less flaws than most seasons in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Roy wasn’t very good from 87-92, he was thoroughly outplayed in the 89 Cup finals by Mike Vernon, and horrendous vs Bruins in 90-92.

Habs don’t win in 86 without Roy and 93 without Roy + luck (OT wins) + DiPietro...I won’t argue that point.

Roy always had teams far deeper than any team Price has been on - this edition is the deepest. Roy also played in an era (w Habs) where there was almost no player autonomy, his GM wasn’t hindered in acquiring players until experiencing the beginning of it in 93 (Bellows)

That’s not Roy’s fault by any means, it just is what it is.

I started actively watching in 93 - so I can't speak too much of Roy's series from ~89-92. I'll take your word for it that he struggled vs Boston and got outplayed by Vernon in finals. Still - from 1989 to 1992, for goalies with over 20 games played, he's #1 in sv% and gaa in the playoffs, so how inconsistent can the best goalie truly be?

I'm one of the biggest Price supporters you'll find here. In fact - I'd argue I may be his biggest, even giving Lafleur's Guy a run for his money, if you were to read my post history on Price. So you don't have to speak Price up to me. I agree that Roy had deeper teams than Price - but that in itself isn't an argument for whose better. Gretzky as #1C has had deeper teams than Danault has had as a #1c- and Gretzky is still around a billion times better.

Price has certainly suffered from lack of opportunity in the playoffs in his career, due to bad teams. But it is what it is, Roy still has a huge edge on Price for career, peak and prime in playoffs (peak regular season, Price has edge, and Olympics too).

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->