Player Discussion Carey Price - Spring Savings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He's like a mix between Hasek, Roy and Brodeur currently. That's how good he is.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I just got to watching Price's after game press and that man just doesn't care for the media hes on a mission you can see it in his tone and on his face. The guy knows this might be the best year to win it all because of his age and the teams age.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He's like a mix between Hasek, Roy and Brodeur currently. That's how good he is.
Lol come on. He's not on Hasek's level, and I wouldn't bet on Price winning 10 overtimes in a playoffs, ever. I'd sub in a prime Roy for Price right now if I could. Brodeur always made the big saves when his team needed him to; his consistency and longevity is/was unparalleled. I'd take all of them over Price.

Reactions: azcanuck

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I see a lot of Roy and Brodeur. They were similar goalies... positional. In one sense I think he's a little more similar to Brodeur in that he's a great puck handler.

I see no similarity in any of these goalies to Hasek. Hasek was Mr Flopper. I never understood how he could be successful that way but he was.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The other thing is Price really covers up players mistakes. How often do we, as posters and fans, really get down on a player for a bad play that leads to a goal. If that goal isn’t scored we usually forget about it pretty quickly. I’m sure it really gives them a ton of confidence knowing he’s back there and if they make a mistake he’s there to bail them out.

The Habs had 38 giveaways in game 6. Since the NHL started counting that stat in 2005-06 that’s the most they had. Their previous record was 30 in the regular season and 26 in the playoffs. Price was always there to help them get to OT and win it on their 2nd shot of the OT period, when the Leafs had 13.
So Montreal’s best players stepped it up when it counted the most and the Leafs best players......well......that story has been on a loop for 5yrs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Add a poll to this... I think I fall somewhere between 1 and 2 :laugh:. It's OK to admit we when you are wrong cause we all make lots of comments and predictions that end up true and false

1) Who was a supporter all along no matter what
vs
2) Who is guilty of being on the fence where they pump his tires when he does well and throws him under the bus when he doesn't
vs
3) Who still thinks he needs to be traded cause what he is doing is a fluke and we need to capitalize on his high value

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-6-9_13-59-1.png

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I see a lot of Roy and Brodeur. They were similar goalies... positional. In one sense I think he's a little more similar to Brodeur in that he's a great puck handler.

I see no similarity in any of these goalies to Hasek. Hasek was Mr Flopper. I never understood how he could be successful that way but he was.

Hasek was using principles back then, that is pretty common place now as the position involved.

He had some insane flexibility and reflexes which put him above his competitors but he was also playing chess in there a lot of the time. It's crazy because I'm a goalie and when I was younger, I thought Hasek was the luckiest guy out there but as I started to learn more about how he played and what he did, the more it was a masterclass back there.

His windmill saves was a lot of this. He would send out his stick to force the shooter to take the puck away from their body to get a shot on net, and by the way they were positioned and where their hands were, he knew they couldn't put the puck anywhere but where his legs or arms were going to be.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Great playoff so far.

Unfortunately, I think the ride comes to an end next round. Knights and Avs were both pacing for 120 points. That's crazy.

Regular season, Shmegular Season :)

We were on pace for 86 points, leafs were on pace for 112 points, at this point let's throw the regular season in the garbage.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If anyone wants to be entertained by this thread, go back and read the hot takes, and how a ton of posters have disappeared, because their narrative has not been met....Interesting to say the least.
We all realize it's a team game, but right now this is our only true star player.....we do have a couple more coming, to join him.....let's hope he keeps up the big time playoff performance.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
big test for CP31 coming up.

i've been a hater in the past but his performance so far these playoffs has left me speechless. can he sustain that level of focus?

That's why I feel so confident.

If this was Halak in 2010? No....Halak played out of his mind - arguably better than Price has had to so far, but it didn't ever feel sustainable.

Price is just so damn calm. So smart with his stick, breaking up plays with his stick, etc. And making so many important saves look so easy. He has to stay in his zone of course - but I feel a lot more confident in Price maintaining that level than I would Halak in 2010, or even a Hasek-like goalie (as insanely good as Hasek was, it never seemed like what he did should work).

So....yes. I think he can. His desire to win is tremendous - he's smart, he knows this may be his best and only chance ever. I want to see him play his very best, and I think he will.

And on the flipside - Fleury is a great goalie whose getting better with age - but he's been known to crack under pressure in his career. Playing hometown team of Montreal in the playoffs? I could see him costing his team a game or two

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's why I feel so confident.

If this was Halak in 2010? No....Halak played out of his mind - arguably better than Price has had to so far, but it didn't ever feel sustainable.

Price is just so damn calm. So smart with his stick, breaking up plays with his stick, etc. And making so many important saves look so easy. He has to stay in his zone of course - but I feel a lot more confident in Price maintaining that level than I would Halak in 2010, or even a Hasek-like goalie (as insanely good as Hasek was, it never seemed like what he did should work).

So....yes. I think he can. His desire to win is tremendous - he's smart, he knows this may be his best and only chance ever. I want to see him play his very best, and I think he will.

And on the flipside - Fleury is a great goalie whose getting better with age - but he's been known to crack under pressure in his career. Playing hometown team of Montreal in the playoffs? I could see him costing his team a game or two
In 2014 I was absolutely certain we would at least make the finals. We'd beaten the Bruins and Price was coming off an Olympics where he was the absolute best player on that Canadian team. We were invincible... and then Kreider screwed us with that hit at the start of game one. Brutal!

I've never lost faith in Price. He is a monster. Always has been. I haven’t always had faith in the teams he’s been on though. We don't have a Subban this time around. That sucks because we could really use a guy like that now. What we do have though is a group of forwards that we haven't had in a long time. Very, very green... but talented.

I sincerely hope this is the year we make it. I always believed Price would win a cup one day. That changed in the summer of 2017. Gutted the team and suddenly it looked like an impossibility. Still lacking talent but the team has stepped up. Our D still isn't great but at least we're not seeing the unforced errors that we have in the past. If we can continue to do a good job in the crease and get some offense out of our young forwards... we just might surprise people.

In '93 once we got past Quebec, I knew we'd kill Buffalo and the Islanders. There was no doubt. And I felt confident against the Kings. This time we're a less talented team playing tougher opposition. We've got a shot. But it ain't gonna be easy.

Last edited:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Lol come on. He's not on Hasek's level, and I wouldn't bet on Price winning 10 overtimes in a playoffs, ever. I'd sub in a prime Roy for Price right now if I could. Brodeur always made the big saves when his team needed him to; his consistency and longevity is/was unparalleled. I'd take all of them over Price.
Easily. But Price is in that next level with Lunqvist and Fleury. I"d probably take King Henry, Price and than Fleury.

Reactions: Garbageyuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad