Player Discussion Carey Price - Spring Savings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Here's another question for you, how well would those guys have done behind the teams Price has been stuck behind? Look what happened with Roy when the team started going downhill... got totally lit up and stormed off after a loss to Detroit. None of those guys would've won cups with these teams.

They might have won a cup if they went really hot, but honestly it could have happened to Price too. But that's also part plain old dumb luck.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They might have won a cup if they went really hot, but honestly it could have happened to Price too. But that's also part plain old dumb luck.

If Patrick Roy or any of our historical greats cooked up in 2008 or 2014, it’s possible they could’ve won a cup. Other then those two years out of the 14 Carey has been here, no goalie is winning any team hardware. Not a chance. Not even a prime Hasek.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
As I've argued for years, he's worth ten mil. Always has been.

The problem has always been paying him that money and then building nothing around him. THAT was the stupid part.

I'll eat some crow there. I hated that contract. What we've seen the last two seasons is that a rested Price is a PROBLEM in the playoffs. He was beyond dialed in in this series. Probably his best one.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
His ability to put up streches of world class performance, especially in the playoffs, was never in doubt. The problem is his lack of focus during the regular season. Now, if we had a team that's basically a lock to make the playoffs, regardless of how the goalies are playing, it wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, we're not such a team. That's more on the GM, but still.

He is still a legend, though. With this series added to his career resume in Montreal, he's a legend.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
All. Hail.
Not enough words to describe that performance , boston series wins are always nice but to get THIS under the belt as well? LIKE this? Just wow..

That game 7 was legendary for him it was, and he had that ridiculous blocker save game 1, and the SAY WHAT?? paddle save in game 3

But that game 6 performance and OT win, is no word of a lie, one of THE most defining moments and wins of his entire CAREER right now
And I'll never forget it, thank you big guy. Really, thank you

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Is it a fact that Price is the first franchise player we've had since Patrick Roy, and Roy moved mid-career, as did Chelios if you want to include him too.

The last ones before that were Lafleur and Robinson who played at least their 20-34 years old career with us.

Koivu, Markov, Naslund and guys like that are not franchise players.

We lost the lottery on Crosby, but picked up the 2nd best player from that draft class. I would take Price over Kopitar 10 times out of 10 to start a franchise, and I like Kopitar.

Reactions: SpezNc2 and BLONG7

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
There is no denying that when he's on top of his game, he is the most dominating GK I've ever seen. It's not just the saves he makes, it's how he makes them look. It is so demoralizing for the other team.

Reactions: SpezNc2

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
There is no denying that when he's on top of his game, he is the most dominating GK I've ever seen. It's not just the saves he makes, it's how he makes them look. It is so demoralizing for the other team.
and don't foret how he play the puck, he's like a 3rd D. It's a big part of his game that make him dominant

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Anyone else notice as Price got off the ice how Bergevin was all over him patting him on the back and thanking him for saving his job?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is it a fact that Price is the first franchise player we've had since Patrick Roy, and Roy moved mid-career, as did Chelios if you want to include him too.

The last ones before that were Lafleur and Robinson who played at least their 20-34 years old career with us.

Koivu, Markov, Naslund and guys like that are not franchise players.

We lost the lottery on Crosby, but picked up the 2nd best player from that draft class. I would take Price over Kopitar 10 times out of 10 to start a franchise, and I like Kopitar.
You can add Subban. He was absolutely a franchise talent.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I'm on record here and have said many times that of course you can pay your best player best player money, being a goalie doesn't change that fact. The fact that there aren't many teams winning with 9-11mm goalies is because there aren't many 9-11MM goalies. Which will change over the next 5 years. And if you are into recency, TB won just last year with a 9.5MM per tender.

4 of the top 5 highest paid goalies are in the second round of the playoffs. 5 of the top 8. So hopefully this idea that a goalie can't be paid like a top player dies a quick death. Mike Smith and the Oilers say hello to those thinking a replacement level goalie is all you need. Was always a stupid take that won't age well.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
As I've argued for years, he's worth ten mil. Always has been.

The problem has always been paying him that money and then building nothing around him. THAT was the stupid part.

This is it in a nutshell. There is enough money to pay your best player 10MM and still build a team around him. Every other team has 10MM sunk somewhere and each year one of those teams wins the Cup.

Conversely, multiple teams have no shot at playoff success because of goaltending. All good and fine to have a 1.5MM goalie like Smith until the playoffs start and he gets lit up.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
There was a point in the 3rd period in game 7 while I was watching him play where I had that feeling like, this guy is absolutely unstoppable. I stopped worrying and just knew he was gonna take us home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->