Player Discussion Carey Price - Spring Savings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
My god, was Dominik Hasek a different type of animal. I don’t think we’ll see anything like him again.

And correct me if I'm wrong but he did that in a time when .900 SV% was considered starter material right?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I actually had a look at his numbers a week or two ago because people were shitting on him. His really bad season was 2017-18, but 2018-2019 (at .918) was actually really solid in context. I also like to point out that he played 66 games, and the next goalie with a .918 SV% when ordered by game played is Pekka Rinne with 56 (HM Andersen with .917 at 60 games, he's got a lot of unwarranted hate too). Also most TOI in the league, 3rd most shot against.

And 0.918 was also 12th in the league for goalies with more than 40 games played (which I consider starters).

From the games I saw, 2019-2020 he was really good, but the defense let so many quality chances that there was no way to have good stats. Utilization-wise it was a similar story (most TOI by a wide margin, most GP, 2nd most shot against). Compare his numbers to his backups and there's really no better context.

Bottom line is that he still played great hockey in general, but unlike a star forward goalie stats are not additive, so it's gonna be a lot tougher to look good on a bad team without seeing him play first-hand.
Some great points, and perspective.
Now, what about the other issues, he hates puppies, and has been sleeping with people's nana's!! Not to mention, he just doesn't seem to care, he is just there for the pay cheque.
Yup, all true according to some on HF...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
And correct me if I'm wrong but he did that in a time when .900 SV% was considered starter material right?

His dominance started right as the league was entering the dead puck era. But it’s still incredible what he did. He did have one .930 season when teams were scoring 3.24 GPG which I still don’t know how he pulled off.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Some great points, and perspective.
Now, what about the other issues, he hates puppies, and has been sleeping with people's nana's!! Not to mention, he just doesn't seem to care, he is just there for the pay cheque.
Yup, all true according to some on HF...

I don't care about gossips, but actually got an answer for people who say "he doesn't care".
That's actually Price's brand, and one of his strong points. He's simply calm and confident in front of the net. When things go right, it makes him look nonchalent and like everything comes easy. When things go wrong, it make him look like he doesn't care.

There's been a couple times over the past few years (and even a couple games this year) when his body language differed and he started to look non-confident and like it was tough to track the puck and the play. That's when he's at his worst. So I rather see a Price that looks like he doesn't care, than a Price flailing around.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't care about gossips, but actually got an answer for people who say "he doesn't care".
That's actually Price's brand, and one of his strong points. He's simply calm and confident in front of the net. When things go right, it makes him look nonchalent and like everything comes easy. When things go wrong, it make him look like he doesn't care.

There's been a couple times over the past few years (and even a couple games this year) when his body language differed and he started to look non-confident and like it was tough to track the puck and the play. That's when he's at his worst. So I rather see a Price that looks like he doesn't care, than a Price flailing around.
The haters love their narrative...can't figure out why, but they do.
Most goalies would crumble in the spotlight of playing goal for the Habs. Ken Dryden has told everyone, the hardest job in hockey is between the pipes, in Montreal. Ken Dryden would know, unlike the haters on HF.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The haters love their narrative...can't figure out why, but they do.
Most goalies would crumble in the spotlight of playing goal for the Habs. Ken Dryden has told everyone, the hardest job in hockey is between the pipes, in Montreal. Ken Dryden would know, unlike the haters on HF.

Not just on HF... people booed Price at a game a couple years back :(

It's incredible really, I know they have not all been solid backups, but they all pretty much stop playing (NHL) hockey after passing by the Habs. Can't believe some wanted to keep Halak over Price.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I knew that last night was his 700th career game (and 700th with the Habs), but I didn't know he was the only goalie to do so in Habs history. But after thinking about it, it makes sense. Goalies of past eras didn't have as long a career as Price has had so far. And they weren't playing as many games a season as they are now.

Nevertheless, a milestone for Price

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I knew that last night was his 700th career game (and 700th with the Habs), but I didn't know he was the only goalie to do so in Habs history. But after thinking about it, it makes sense. Goalies of past eras didn't have as long a career as Price has had so far. And they weren't playing as many games a season as they are now.

Nevertheless, a milestone for Price

How many pucks did he see throughout those 700 games. Say we go with @25 shots per game, that's 17,500. With a lifetime .917 save %, he let in 1,452.5 goals or 2.075 per game. Not bad

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Top goalie in March so far with a minimum of 5 games played ( number 1 goalie )

1- Thatcher Demko - 6-1-0-0 , 1.69 GAA , 953%
2- Carey Price - 4-1-0-1 , 1.50 GAA , 950%
3- Jaroslav Halak - 2-2-0-1 , 1.77 GAA , 938%
24- CoRter HaRt - 1-3-0-0 , 4.39 GAA , 828% ( new best goalie in the world per HFboards )

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Top goalie in March so far with a minimum of 5 games played ( number 1 goalie )

1- Thatcher Demko - 6-1-0-0 , 1.69 GAA , 953%
2- Carey Price - 4-1-0-1 , 1.50 GAA , 950%
3- Jaroslav Halak - 2-2-0-1 , 1.77 GAA , 938%
24- CoRter HaRt - 1-3-0-0 , 4.39 GAA , 828% ( new best goalie in the world per HFboards )

...and from that stat, I guarantee that there'd be a small group still saying the Habs should have traded Price and kept Halak...

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
EwkVmz9XAAExO4b

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Chris Osgood is not the first goalie I would guess as having the most wins through the first 700 games.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Ouch ! Guy A Lepage made that comment on Price because we can see this poster No Compromise on his wall. Price live in the wilderness of BC, he is a native american and is hunting. I think it's innapropriate to associate Price with guns shooting happening in the country. Lepage is trying to get attention, maybe he wants to be the next mayor of Montreal, who knows.
Check by yourself :
Un drapeau présent chez Carey Price soulève l’indignation de Guy A. Lepage
https://www.ballecourbe.ca/carey-price-nfa

Reactions: BenchBrawl

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Ouch ! Guy A Lepage made that comment on Price because we can see this poster No Compromise on his wall. Price live in the wilderness of BC, he is a native american and is hunting. I think it's innapropriate to associate Price with guns shooting happening in the country. Lepage is trying to get attention, maybe he wants to be the next mayor of Montreal, who knows.
Check by yourself :

Who gives a ****.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, I hate that f*** guy.

Price has kids in his 30’s. It’s a problem and it’s causing a distraction. Price goes to a rodeo in downtime during the offseason, he isn’t training and is out of shape. People need to stop giving the hot pieces the attention they want and let the athletes live their lives. If you want to know why he’s constantly annoyed at press conferences, it’s for this reason.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Check by yourself :
Wallpaper51.jpg

Ah yes the assault rifle, traditional hunting weapon of First Nations people. :laugh:

I'd never heard of this org before, but it sure looks like Canada's NRA. People are justified in side-eyeing his support, the NRA is a trash organization responsible for lots of suffering south of the border.

Price is of course entitled to his views, he's probably just a hunting enthusiast and not an all-out gun nut, but maybe don't be surprised when you share this on Instagram and it gets backlashed???

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Check by yourself :

Lmao, Guy certainly didn't have any problem with almost two decades of his buddy's Turcottes awful jokes. Funny to see him be the source of the outrage here.

Reactions: BenchBrawl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad