Player Discussion Carey Price - Spring Savings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Well, certainly not with the same frequency anyway. Dryden certainly stole the cup in 71.

Roy is an interesting case because he took teams that nobody thought were cup caliber and won. But... if you look at the schedule, we never faced a powerhouse along the way. We were never able to make it to the finals against the Islanders or Oilers during the 80s. We faced the best team in the league in '89 but weren't able to beat them. Other than that it was:

1986: Boston, Hartford, Rangers, Flames -
1993: Nords, Sabres, Islanders, Kings -

The only team higher than us in the standings in those runs was the Nords (2 points better.) Most were teams with poor/mediocre records. It doesn't get easier than that.

I edited my post as you were replying. I was thinking I better not leave Dryden ‘71 out of there as well.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Mass will be held at Schwartz's after the game.

Made the pilgrimage 5/6yrs ago solo to catch a Leafs/Habs game on a Feb 14 at New arena from SW Ontario. Dropped the bags off at the hotel on the 13th and walked the 20 min. to Schwartz's. 2 pm, minus 22 and a line outside. Knew I was in the right place lol. And the staff didn't didn't disappoint. Kicked a guy out so I could get a seat. Soup Nazi had nothing on them.
"You by yourself"
"Yup just got off plane"
"One sec," Heads over to island..."hey you've been done for 5 min get out"
I had to laugh.
The ordered for me knowing I hadn't been there lol. Got a tour of kitchen also. Great eats.
Took the misses the next year.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Made the pilgrimage 5/6yrs ago silo to catch a Leafs/Habs game on Feb 14. Dropped the bags off at the hotel on the 13th and walked the 20 min. to Schwartz's. 2 pm, minus 22 and a line outside. Knew I was in the right place lol. And the staff didn't didn't disappoint. Kicked a guy out so I could get a seat. Soup Nazi had nothing on them.
"You by yourself"
" Yup just got off plane"
"One sec," Heads over to island..."hey you've been done for 5 min get out"
I had to laugh.
The ordered for me knowing I hadn't been there lol. Got a tour of kitchen also. Great eats.
Took the misses the next year.
I miss the pizza. The smoked meat is killer but the old pizzeria Montreal style is to die for.

I also have to stop at Lafleurs.

I usually gain about ten pounds on my trips back home. :laugh:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I miss the pizza. The smoked meat is killer but the old pizzeria Montreal style is to die for.

I also have to stop at Lafleurs.

I usually gain about ten pounds on my trips back home. :laugh:

Is Lafluers a bar/ pub? I remember walking into a restaurant near Arena early aft on 14th. Said I know it's late but any chance a reservation for tonight. Hostess asks if for 2 I said no just me. Said they were full but
I got the saddest eyes ever ( forgot it was valentines day lol) saved me a bar seat lol

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Let's give it up for the greatest NHL player ever, the pocket rocket. Next, the greatest NBA players ever Bill Russell. It's more than just winning. The only greatest of all time to also be the most winningest is Tom Brady

Can't you argue any other way than creating strawman arguments?

I'm not talking simply about winning, but the MVP.

Which should give a different list of names that goes like Brady, Montana, MJ, Kobe, Magic, Bird, Lemieux, Crosby.... and Roy.

Reactions: azcanuck

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Which should give a different list of names that goes like Brady, Montana, MJ, Kobe, Magic, Bird, Lemieux, Crosby.... and Roy.
Full marks for those Smythes. But you can't ignore the competition he had. It's like focusing only on Kurri's stats and ignoring that he was teamed with Gretzky.

Numbers and awards require context. Just saying "he's got three conn smythes - end of argument" works in grade school. But if you're having a serious discussion it's worth delving into how he won those awards. He beat ONE team that was ahead of him in the standings over those cup runs with Montreal. And it was a two point advantage.

Awesome run. He deserved the award. But he's not out there beating the 71 Bruins or Hawks. He didn't take a crap team to the finals the way Hasek did. He didn't even really pull an upset series win in his run with Montreal... If you're going to argue that he's the best ever, you have to look at all the facts. And you can't dismiss Dryden for his teams and then ignore the clubs Hasek was on. Or Lundqivst or Price for that matter. Those guys never had any real support the way those other players did.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

You saying Kobe just defeated your argument because it shows your lack of knowledge. Kobe is not a top 10 player

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Blah blah blah. Studying something won't mean you understand it. I could boast, but it's pointless.

(mod)

Listen I've had and won debates with basketball savants on this topic. I have no time to explain it to you as it can take hours just to get it through to some people. I'll just leave it as this. Kobe Bryant is a top 5 most proficient player of all time. Hes also a top 3 most entertaining player of all time. Finally, he the greatest, yes greatest streak shooter of all time and it's not close. I get it, watching him probably made you get in your feelings especially as it was after MJ and the NBA and it's fans were addicted to that hero ball game and he literally based his entire basketball existence off MJ, but don't get it twisted

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Listen I've had and won debates with basketball savants on this topic. I have no time to explain it to you as it can take hours just to get it through to some people. I'll just leave it as this. Kobe Bryant is a top 5 most proficient player of all time. Hes also a top 3 most entertaining player of all time. Finally, he the greatest, yes greatest streak shooter of all time and it's not close. I get it, watching him probably made you get in your feelings especially as it was after MJ and the NBA and it's fans were addicted to that hero ball game and he literally based his entire basketball existence off MJ, but don't get it twisted

Again, waste of time, pathetic use of appeal to pseudo authority.

And to top it off you again falsely proclaim it has to be about emotions. It isn't. All the things you've said, I've done also, but to top it off, I have watched all those championships, except for Bird.

What's next, more appeal to authority?

Reactions: aresknights

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Why we talking about Kobe in a Price thread?
Price has had an awesome career. Let's hope he n the Habs add another chapter to it n win tonight.

PS Bird was my fav of all time n I go back to the late 70s :) Man could talk trash lol. Fav not best before the PHD attacks.

Best of all time is always subjective so study/schmudy, don't matter. Different eras.

Price be goalying tonight I hope!

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Again, waste of time, pathetic use of appeal to pseudo authority.

And to top it off you again falsely proclaim it has to be about emotions. It isn't. All the things you've said, I've done also, but to top it off, I have watched all those championships, except for Bird.

What's next, more appeal to authority?

It isn't my authority it was the pretext to the following sentence. I've debated with savants, it took me a long time to do Itz and I don't have time for that. Either you are a basketball savant, which means it'll probably take me just as much time to try and ameaningfully convince you or you aren't then trying to argue with you is absolutely pointless because you'll never comprehend the analysis. Let's assume you're the former, I don't have time for that

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think we can all agree Nelson Mandala was a top hockey player of all time. Probably the GOAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad