Post-Game Talk: Carey Price records a shutout as the Habs lose 7-1 to the Wild

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Who ever points out the Stanley cup for Niemi should realize that the Hawks gave Niemi a cup and not Niemi who gave a cup to the Hawks. Remember those 7 to 6 games in the finals?
Niemi is probably the worst starting goalie to win a cup in the pass 50 years.
That cup final goaltending matchup was hilarious. Niemi vs Leighton, battle of the titans

Jul 6, 2016
I was not expecting a win in Minny. They never win there. Especially with a backup like Niemi in net.

But it showed that big, fast, skilled teams can be too much to handle for the small Habs team, especially on the road.

Looking forward to see Armia back in te lineup. Another skilled big forward would also be welcomed. And of course one top d-man.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I don't get the blame the goalie crowd whatsoever. I didn't blame them last year and I don't blame them this year. If we keep on giving up goals odd man rushes and lane charges to the net like we have these last two games we will lose plain and simple and no goaltender in this league can help that. We just are not a very well constructed team currently.
ding ding ding.... we got a winner here folks!!!!
Trash D results in bad goal tending regardless of who is sitting in our crease and what pay cheque they take home

Reactions: Runner77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Trading Petry at the deadline and even Byron would not be tanking. It would be good assets management. Both players value is as high as it will ever be. It can only go down from this point in time. Both players will be over 30 next season and will likely not play a big role when this team will be ready to win. Trading them for kids/picks in our current situation is just logical and is something we should do tanking or not.

Petry will gather a lot of interest at the deadline if we make him available.

Agreed Petry should garner attention from teams who hope to go deep. Keep in mind these teams will likely provide late round picks so I would prefer to acquire young established players who fit into our age group if possible. Done properly this should provide a certain return. Otherwise we are into that late first round late second round crap shoot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That’s my point...will this be ever be addressed?

I don't know. Were looking at each other like this...

giphy.gif

Reactions: Agalloch

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed Petry should garner attention from teams who hope to go deep. Keep in mind these teams will likely provide late round picks so I would prefer to acquire young established players who fit into our age group if possible. Done properly this should provide a certain return. Otherwise we are into that late first round late second round crap shoot.

My asking price for Petry...

- 2019 1st (20+ range no doubt)
- Grade A prospect on LD (Sandin from the Leafs.... :naughty:)
- Future 2nd

I want a piece for each year left in his contract.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That’s my point...will this be ever be addressed?
No and many people still argue vehemently it's not an issue. They keep insisting that the dead puck era is just that dead. What they fail to acknowledge is the players are simply bigger and faster now and you can't get away with a gizillion smurfs. DD pinned to the boards feet off the ice in a playoff game is the perfect visual.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Leafs are a team that can meet our requirements for sure.

I'd even consider retaining a bit on Petry and taking Horton's uninsured contract off their hands. I don't care if they win a cup after this or not to be honest. The idea here it to help out both teams and that's how trades develop and end up becoming reality.

However, if the Leafs ask for retention and to take on Horton's contract, I then start to ask for another 2nd or even a future 1st down the road. So it would look like this...

- Petry ($1.5M retention)
for
- Horton's uninsured contract for this year and next. Molson would have to write off some more money
- 2019 1st (20+ range for sure). Must have
- Grade A prospect on LD (Sandin). Must have
- 2020 or 2021 1st. OR two future 2nd's

Steep price to pay but it does address their team needs. They possibly let Gardiner and replace him with Petry on the right side.

Rielly / Zaitsey
Dermott / Petry
whoever

They would still have Lilegren to bump Zaitsev down when he is ready. Petry at $4M cap hit is very attractive to them.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Bah - Dubnyk always beats the Habs. It was a close game for about 30 mins and then the Wild pulled away. Out of conference game means not too much. Would have been nice to win but window dressing - moving on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No and many people still argue vehemently it's not an issue. They keep insisting that the dead puck era is just that dead. What they fail to acknowledge is the players are simply bigger and faster now and you can't get away with a gizillion smurfs. DD pinned to the boards feet off the ice in a playoff game is the perfect visual.

The difference between cup contenders and cup pretenders is you pump up the wins against bottom half teams thinking we are really good and ignore losses against teams in the top half of the league.

People need to think about why we can't get past the 1st round...

- Lack of centers. It's been address but we have to wait for it to provide value in terms of beating top teams when the games count
- Lack of size/strength/skill combo type players. It has not been addressed. Armia is nice but he's a 3rd line option IMO. We need at least one power forward in our top 6. Gallagher is nice but he can be neutralized

I consider our problems with lack of depth at LD is similar to lack of power forward depth. Both are huge holes if you compare our team to cup contenders.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

They favored speed and skill with the current edition. It's a good foundation but it needs more time to solidify. We finally have bona fide top line centers and that took what, 6 years to address. LHDs and a big right hand shot top 6 forward are not exactly difficult to acquire. However, they can be expensive if the GM is in a rush to land them, all of which favors a patient approach.

However, given this GM's stated objective to win this year, how he chased big ticket UFAs this summer and his use of the word "reset" over "rebuild", he's clearly going to fast-track this, which could undo some of the good work he's done since this past summer.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They favored speed and skill with the current edition. It's a good foundation but it needs more time to solidify. We finally have bona fide top line centers and that took what, 6 years to address. LHDs and a big right hand shot top 6 forward are not exactly difficult to acquire. However, they can be expensive if the GM is in a rush to land them, all of which favors a patient approach.

However, given this GM's stated objective to win this year, how he chased big ticket UFAs this summer and his use of the word "reset" over "rebuild", he's clearly going to fast-track this, which could undo some of the good work he's done since this past summer.

Absolutely my concern as well. Bergevin has to be able to identify the redundancy and move the lesser pieces for parts we currently don't have. A certifiable power forward and a stable PMLD. The question is does he see this?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Bolded part... Yeah, they are not that difficult to acquire. Just like we got Danault who is a 3rd line center. We don't need bottom of the line-up guys. We need an impact power forward that is a top 6 talent and a top 4D on the Left side who has similar value to Petry.

Smaller players with skill and skating << Bigger players with skill and skating

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Trading Petry at the deadline and even Byron would not be tanking. It would be good assets management. Both players value is as high as it will ever be. It can only go down from this point in time. Both players will be over 30 next season and will likely not play a big role when this team will be ready to win. Trading them for kids/picks in our current situation is just logical and is something we should do tanking or not.

Petry will gather a lot of interest at the deadline if we make him available.
Similar package to shattenkirk you reckon? (Zach Sanford and 25 pick or so?)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Similar package to shattenkirk you reckon? (Zach Sanford and 25 pick or so?)

I think maybe we could get a little bit more. There's still two years left to Petry's contract and this is a relatively good contract. I don't think Petry can keep his current pace but he improved a lot the last 2 years and i think 5.5 millions is a good contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad