News Article: Carey Price has a specific objective for this season

Myron Gaines*

I always thought shutouts and breakaways were one of his strengths....until last year.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I always thought shutouts and breakaways were one of his strengths....until last year.

Only reason is because of that WJC game against the Americans, where his record wasn't that great. It was impressive more because of how calm he was in the net.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
His terrible shootout record and 3rd period mediocrity tells me that more time with a sports psych. would be a good investment.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
His terrible shootout record and 3rd period mediocrity tells me that more time with a sports psych. would be a good investment.

A sports psychologist is a good investment for ANY professional athlete. However 3rd period "mediocrity" is more indicative of the team than Price himself.

Most people in this thread are right. Price hasn't been bad at shootouts in the past but he had a few rough stretches that brought out this stigma that he's bad at shootouts. That being said, he is a lot better on in-game shootouts. There's a reason for this. Players don't have as much time in-game so the movements are made quicker, Price's lateral movement, size and spectacular fundamentals makes him defeat shooters with ease. When in a shootout, the player has a longer time to make his move, make Price wait and therefore the problem is more to do with patience and waiting out the shooter than it is his technical ability to stop breakaways.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouvelles/un-objectif-bien-precis-pour-carey-price-199964.html

Pretty much says that he has to get better on Shootouts, says it's always been one of his biggest weakness. Also mentions that he lost 11 pounds during the summer to be more quick and agile.

Price is out to lunch. SO are basically a coin toss. He should focus on not getting to SO and winning games in regulation.

i would have goals to play well enough to not have to face shootouts in the first place. instead of conceding that team play will be poor enough to make it a neccessity to be solid in the shootout quite often.

Amen, should have read the thread before replying.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007

For myself this is exactly what I want to hear from Price. With a guy like that it's all about desire to win. He's got the package, how badly does he want it? Roy wanted is BAAAAAAAD, for instance.

A sports psych might be a great idea for Price, if he was into it. With Roy I'm not sure I wanted a sports psych anywhere near him (not suggesting you said hed.

I feel Price is still at an age where people can grow enormously, especially in terms of the kind of mental focus and confidence that goalies need to possess. Everyone else in hockey plays shifts, goalies can go through fifteen shifts without facing a threatening shot, then be called on to make fifteen saves in the next three. Sports psychologist or not, I'm glad Price recognizes his weaknesses and is targeting them.

The shootout itself is something I think almost any player can improve on enormously. Look at Saku Koivu. Went from zero to hero in one offseason in that department. Extra practice and major time spent watching tape could pay off significantly for a guy like Price. With his skating and lateral movement, he's more than got the tools to stay with shooters.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Agree that we would never have had so many shut-outs in the first place if the team hadn't screwed up so many third-periods.

But once we were there, it's true that Price was awful for most of the season. SOs are as much about psychology as skill, and he was totally psyched out. But he DID start improving and seemed to be gaining confidence near the end. A good sign.

We have a top-seven or eight goalie who's still improving. Let's not fall into the same trap that we accuse Price of: Over-thinking. All this talk of psychologists suggests there's more of a problem than simple maturity and coaching.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
i would have goals to play well enough to not have to face shootouts in the first place. instead of conceding that team play will be poor enough to make it a neccessity to be solid in the shootout quite often.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Taking penalties are bad too, doesn't mean you don't practice your pk...

HarlemsFinest

teh gallys!!1
Jul 2, 2009
Montreal
www.montrealracing.com
for anyone who may have forgotten, we do have a team psych now.

and i know my tone was negative, and i understand the context of what he meant i was just playfully saying they should try not getting into those situations in the first place, and where it doesn't matter how much you practice the shootout because you seldom get there. admirable goal, just a bit misplaced.

but he meant it more in the way that if there was one aspect of his personal game that he could work on, it would be that.

Young Gun

Nov 9, 2009

Maybe wasting your breathe, I talked about that all last season, people will think your crazy too...lol
Your right on the mark here, it was sad to watch last season, I blame the goalie coach for last season...maybe Carey has caught on himself, he has it in him to turn it all around.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Price is out to lunch. SO are basically a coin toss. He should focus on not getting to SO and winning games in regulation.

Amen, should have read the thread before replying.

Shootoots will still happen. Last year, the lowest shootout presence was 6. That's 6 points. Do i need to explain how does 6 pts could make a différence? And Thats for the lowest team. It can go up to 20.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I was hoping he'd want to win the cup as his goal.

That being said, Habs lost all but 2 of their OT games last year and they were in OT a lot!

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I was hoping he'd want to win the cup as his goal.

That being said, Habs lost all but 2 of their OT games last year and they were in OT a lot!

Do you know how goal setting works?

The number one reason why people don't achieve their goals? They set unrealistic goals that look so monstrous at first sight that they give up. Your ultimate goal has to be broken down into incremental smaller goals that are achievable so your success and improvement can be monitored.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Do you know how goal setting works?

The number one reason why people don't achieve their goals? They set unrealistic goals that look so monstrous at first sight that they give up. Your ultimate goal has to be broken down into incremental smaller goals that are achievable so your success and improvement can be monitored.

Why so serious? Just having fun with Price bud. Besides, winning the cup should be EVERY players ultimate goal.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why so serious? Just having fun with Price bud.

Just transference is all. Nothing personal to you. It bugs me when people don't understand goal-setting. All I see on my facebook is whiney people who complain about not achieving anything in their lives but can't take advice on how to correct the rather simple mistakes they are making.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Shootoots will still happen. Last year, the lowest shootout presence was 6. That's 6 points. Do i need to explain how does 6 pts could make a différence? And Thats for the lowest team. It can go up to 20.

The truth is that SO are a really random affair and that we don't even know how many SO we will get into. If we're the team with the lowest SO presence... he won't win them all... so it could mean a very very small improvement.. like 2-3 pts provided that working on SO actually is a thing and that it can provide improvement which I doubt.

I just think improving your ability to stop pucks in SO is one of the last thing you wanna work on. And for a goalie who has very few actual real accomplishments and has never even been nominated for a vezina.. and hasn't played during the lockout... he should have other things to want to work on.

I mean, it's not a big deal. I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I just find it a little silly is all. I'll try to remember this thread and see what came out of it at the end of the season.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The truth is that SO are a really random affair and that we don't even know how many SO we will get into. If we're the team with the lowest SO presence... he won't win them all... so it could mean a very very small improvement.. like 2-3 pts provided that working on SO actually is a thing and that it can provide improvement which I doubt.

I just think improving your ability to stop pucks in SO is one of the last thing you wanna work on. And for a goalie who has very few actual real accomplishments and has never even been nominated for a vezina.. and hasn't played during the lockout... he should have other things to want to work on.

I mean, it's not a big deal. I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I just find it a little silly is all. I'll try to remember this thread and see what came out of it at the end of the season.

Price's only weakness is maturity in his game. Fundamentally there's nothing you can find that is flawed in his game. He's big, he's athletic, his technically proficient and his lateral movement is absolutely dynamic. He is prone to sometimes letting his focus shift from the puck on non-scoring chances and letting in a bad goal (this is a quality that every young goalie exhibits and has to overcome to achieve success). I'm sure he has been working on that.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Price's only weakness is maturity in his game. Fundamentally there's nothing you can find that is flawed in his game. He's big, he's athletic, his technically proficient and his lateral movement is absolutely dynamic. He is prone to sometimes letting his focus shift from the puck on non-scoring chances and letting in a bad goal (this is a quality that every young goalie exhibits and has to overcome to achieve success). I'm sure he has been working on that.

I agree with this assessment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad