Carey Price and the Dogs win the Calder Cup!!!! Price Calder Cup playoffs MVP!

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Just hope that the kid are ready to answer correctly and without fault, the 72 Habs journalist's questions......Every day!!!

Maybe the life in Hamilton is not so bad.... ;)
He is so calm when he is playing that it almost look cocky from him.
Incredible calmness! It's something i've never seen from any goalie !

GSK*

True.. He's on drug :sarcasm:

He is looking so calm that even with 5 players against him on the ice he would make the saves look easy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I had my doubts about Hamilton getting past the Moose as the two played a very tight series during the regular season, but I didn't think they would get past the top offense in the AHL in the Wolves, so I am in shock that they beat last years Calder Champs and in just 5 games. Congrats to the Dogs on a great season, they won by hard work and strong goaltending, they were especially impressive on the road and their PK stepped up huge against the top PP.

Price was great, so was the line of Ajay Baines-Kyle Chipchura-Jonathan Ferland. They shut down the top lines in the playoffs and were productive on the scoresheet. All the defensemen stepped up offensively, Dany Groulx had 0 goals in the regular season but had 6 in the playoffs. Andre Benoit and Dan Jancevski had some 15 pts between the 2 of them. The rookie Ryan O'Byrne was a physical force and getting J-P Cote back was a boost as well since he's the teams top shot blocker.

This was Hamilton's first Championship, I thought they had it back in 2003 when the team was split with the Oilers, that team was stacked. It's the first championship for the Habs AHL team in 22 years.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Someone posed the question on the Habs board and although it seemed insane at first, it sparked some interesting debate. Could Price have the potential to be a better pick than Crosby?

Before you go on flaming me and posting that green laughing dude smiley 100 times, think about it. Assuming Price hits his absolute highest potential (Brodeur-type franchise goalie) and Crosby stays his usual league-leading dominating self. I guess it comes down to the classic "would you want a star forward or a star goalie" debate, but like I said, it's an entertaining notion...and one which nobody would've even thought of considering when the pick was announced, least of all Hab fans ;)

Frankc

Jan 9, 2005
Montreal
I'm a huge fan of Price and I really think he'll be a great goaler but I don't think we can debate on this question right now. While Price prove to be a very very very good prospect and he probably had the best junior season by a goaler, I wouldn't not open a debate on who's the best pick between Price & Crosby simply because Crosby proof to be an awesome player in the top league. Finishing top scorer of the NHL in his second season, and should I remember you that he's not even 20 years old, his something that not many players have done. Crosby, if he can stay healthy, will probably be the top scorer for many years. Price hasn't prove anything yet in the NHL, and I don't think he's gonna own the NHL after 1 season like Crosby. He will be a terrific goaler one day, probably a top 5 in the league for many years, but there's no way right now that he could possibly be a best pick than Crosby until he show us what he can do in the NHL.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm a huge fan of Price and I really think he'll be a great goaler but I don't think we can debate on this question right now. While Price prove to be a very very very good prospect and he probably had the best junior season by a goaler, I wouldn't not open a debate on who's the best pick between Price & Crosby simply because Crosby proof to be an awesome player in the top league. Finishing top scorer of the NHL in his second season, and should I remember you that he's not even 20 years old, his something that not many players have done. Crosby, if he can stay healthy, will probably be the top scorer for many years. Price hasn't prove anything yet in the NHL, and I don't think he's gonna own the NHL after 1 season like Crosby. He will be a terrific goaler one day, probably a top 5 in the league for many years, but there's no way right now that he could possibly be a best pick than Crosby until he show us what he can do in the NHL.

I remember quite well how everything was 6 to 12 months BEFORE Crosby played in his first NHL game. There was still a bit of uncertainty (we all know that everyone said he was/is a great/excellent player & just might be the "next one" & all that), but/and...some were wondering when will he produce? and just how good will he be at first? Will he be a 80 pt player in his 1st NHL season, since he's still so young? 100 pt player? 120 pt+ player (& maybe "sky is the limit" ?), OR...will he need 1, 2 or 3 seasons before dominating?? (Like Lecavalier's time frame or similar). Well, as we all know...Crosby didn't need too much time to say "NHL! Here I am & I'm the real thing".

My point?! Not everyone was 100% sure, yet ('cause he had never played in 1 NHL game). Some (maybe only a few, but...) wanted to be a little cautious...only natural ('cause of Crosby's very young age).

Price has proven all that he can in the WHL, WJC, AHL playoffs...and I really believe that Price has MAJOR potential to be a great, franchise goalie for the HABS, it's just a matter of when will we see him get that chance in the NHL? (and I don't believe Price will need a lot of time to get used to the NHL). He's (imo) NHL material RIGHT NOW, it's just a matter of a bit of time before he adjusts to the NHL. Dominate or be as good as Brodeur, Roy...??? I'll let Price do the talking/playing...;) (time for me to be quiet!).

He was already a big man (for a 19 year-old) among boys in the AHL playoffs...
Once in awhile (maybe every 5 or 10 years) you'll get a (19 year-old) goalie is who is way more ready than other 19-20 year-old goalies, and (imo) Price is that kind of goalie. I better stop writing before I get cocky/arrogant...;):p: (just a huuuge HAB fan who is obviously excited about Price!! maybe too excited!!).

Just my opinion (I'm not a hockey scout or GM! I'm an anxious HAB fan!:)).

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Someone posed the question on the Habs board and although it seemed insane at first, it sparked some interesting debate. Could Price have the potential to be a better pick than Crosby?

Before you go on flaming me and posting that green laughing dude smiley 100 times, think about it. Assuming Price hits his absolute highest potential (Brodeur-type franchise goalie) and Crosby stays his usual league-leading dominating self. I guess it comes down to the classic "would you want a star forward or a star goalie" debate, but like I said, it's an entertaining notion...and one which nobody would've even thought of considering when the pick was announced, least of all Hab fans ;)

Get out of here ........ congrats on the great season by Price but get real........im sure that Crosby wouldnt have done that well in the Q and in the Juniors this season or the AHL at playoff time.

Oh well have to settle for youngest ever to win a major scoring title in any major sport and a Hart trophy I guess.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Get out of here ........ congrats on the great season by Price but get real........im sure that Crosby wouldnt have done that well in the Q and in the Juniors this season or the AHL at playoff time.

Oh well have to settle for youngest ever to win a major scoring title in any major sport and a Hart trophy I guess.

please dont paint the fanbase ...
btw i know you didnt..
but the fans are getting too excited!

a better question would be which prospect could be considered better than Price right now ?

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto

As many Hab fans tried to paint it, the question stems back to the 1984 draft. Lemieux is selected 1st overall, and Montreal gets Roy (3rd round). Now, assuming Price gets to Roy’s level (which I'm 99.99% sure won't), and Crosby plays at Lemieux's level (which I personally think there is a very good chance of), then which was the better selection.

Well, in 84 it was Lemieux (how many Cups would the Habs have won with Lemieux…my guess would be 4 at least), and in 2005, barring career ending injury, its Crosby.

Of course, this is a completely ridiculous question, as Carey Price has done nothing to be compared to Patrick Roy. Yes, I know Price is the first Junior level goalie to win the Calder Cup since Roy, but that is it for comparisons, and it doesn't hold any water with me. I'm excited as a Hab fan the kid played so well, it seems that Montreal could have a great goalie in the making, but he is not, and almost certainly will not be a Patrick Roy. All of this talk is unfair to a prospect that has yet to play a single minute in the NHL. And thoughts like this (and I know in Montreal, both fans and the media will make comparisons) are unfair to Carey, and only help to make it harder on him to reach his full potential.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

I'm not sure why you seem to think I'm disparaging or diminishing Crosby in any way...?

As many Hab fans tried to paint it, the question stems back to the 1984 draft.
Lemieux is selected 1st overall, and Montreal gets Roy (3rd round). Now, assuming Price gets to Roy’s level (which I'm 99.99% sure won't), and Crosby plays at Lemieux's level (which I personally think there is a very good chance of), then which was the better selection.

Well, in 84 it was Lemieux (how many Cups would the Habs have won with Lemieux…my guess would be 4 at least), and in 2005, barring career ending injury, its Crosby.

Of course, this is a completely ridiculous question, as Carey Price has done nothing to be compared to Patrick Roy. Yes, I know Price is the first Junior level goalie to win the Calder Cup since Roy, but that is it for comparisons, and it doesn't hold any water with me. I'm excited as a Hab fan the kid played so well, it seems that Montreal could have a great goalie in the making, but he is not, and almost certainly will not be a Patrick Roy. All of this talk is unfair to a prospect that has yet to play a single minute in the NHL. And thoughts like this (and I know in Montreal, both fans and the media will make comparisons) are unfair to Carey, and only help to make it harder on him to reach his full potential.

Well of course it's a ridiculous question now, because Price hasn't played a single minute of NHL game time while Crosby's had two 100+ point seasons and an Art Ross to his name, so you kind of have to suspend logistics for a moment. I guess I shouldn't have said better than Crosby - barring injury, it's pretty damn hard to top a player of Crosby's caliber, no matter who you are or what you do. But if Price continues on the course he's on, the notion of him being as good a pick as Crosby (or as valuable, if you prefer) isn't nearly as far-fetched as it would've once seemed.

Although saying Price has "done nothing" to be compared to Roy is a bit of an overstatement, given how eerily similar their career paths are to this point ;)

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal

Ah...come on man.
You just had to do it didnt you...?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Ah...come on man.
You just had to do it didnt you...?

I don't see why it's so taboo. I think it's a valid and interesting point of discussion, even if I weren't a Hab fan. If anybody thinks I'm just saying "zomg prise >>>>> crosbie!!!1`1!" to try and troll people or whatever, they're missing the point entirely. Though, again, I probably should not have said "better than" Crosby...because that's pretty much impossible. Although in '91, it would've been impossible to think Neidermayer was a better pick than Lindros :naughty:

Ape Clutch

Jul 19, 2004
I don't see why it's so taboo. I think it's a valid and interesting point of discussion, even if I weren't a Hab fan. If anybody thinks I'm just saying "zomg prise >>>>> crosbie!!!1`1!" to try and troll people or whatever, they're missing the point entirely. Though, again, I probably should not have said "better than" Crosby...because that's pretty much impossible. Although in '91, it would've been impossible to think Neidermayer was a better pick than Lindros :naughty:

he wasn't...Stevens and other players Illegal hits to his head completely screwed his career up...Lindros could have cracked the top 5

Roger's Pancreas*

Patrick Roy ? If I remember well he win the Calder Cup with Sherbrooke after playing 1 game in regular season. But the year overall, I think Price had the best under-20 season ever for a goaler.
Tom Barrasso won the Calder and the Vezina the year after he was drafted.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site

Wow... give me a break. Price hasn't even played an NHL game yet and Crosby has two 100 point seasons under his belt.

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site

Check some the moronic responses to see why it's taboo. (see directly above for an unimaginative example)

The discussion isn't interesting it's premature. Crosby is a star/franchise forward while Price may become a star goaltender. Right now Price is nothing more than a prospect who has shown a tonne of potential (why that is not enough I don't know)

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002

Having watched Price with some non-Hab fans I can tell you that sentiment is echoed by a lot of people.

One of my friends calls him the 'Bob Ross of goaltenders' because he's so laid back. We also speculated that he may not actually be aware that he was playing in the playoffs and hopes to be ready for when they start.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Wow... give me a break. Price hasn't even played an NHL game yet and Crosby has two 100 point seasons under his belt.

Did you casually gloss over my post where I acknowledged both of those things? You're acting like right now, on June 8, 2007, I'm insisting Price is a better pick than Crosby. I thought literacy was a general prerequisite on message boards. "Wow give me a break" indeed.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
he wasn't...Stevens and other players Illegal hits to his head completely screwed his career up...Lindros could have cracked the top 5

Of course he could have, but he didn't, ergo Neidermayer's the better pick. Right? All things remaining the same, nobody would choose Lindros over Neidermayer again. Well nobody not named Raoul Duke or Lindros_for_rizzle, I suppose.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Did you casually gloss over my post where I acknowledged both of those things? You're acting like right now, on June 8, 2007, I'm insisting Price is a better pick than Crosby. I thought literacy was a general prerequisite on message boards. "Wow give me a break" indeed.

Give up man, I see your point but you'll never win that argument on HFBoards.

Unless your feeling for a day of replying back and forth to people who can't see further than the next 2 weeks.

Too huge of a board for prophet ;)

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Give up man, I see your point but you'll never win that argument on HFBoards.

Yeah, you're right. No matter how delicately I tried to phrase it (with disclaimers and all) people are gonna read my post and think I'm some blind idiot Hab fan homer tooting his own prospects' horn at the expense of others. I should've posted under a fake Leafs fan account to try and bring a notion of impartiality to my viewpoint ;)

chillmat

Jul 1, 2006
Montréal
Crosby is one of a kind pick, no one will be near his quality and leadership skills, though Carey Price (5th overall) seems to be the steal of this draft (except for Crosby of course).

He seems to have nerves of steel as well as solid self-confidence in his talent...as well as some arrogance! I like it a lot, hope to see him in a very near future in Montréal but I strongly believe that Habs staff will give him the #1 spot in Hamilton next season and not in Montréal...except for the fact that he will maybe be so impressive that they keep him in the big club (like Latendresse this season)...

GO HABS GO!

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site

No, I read it completey and with an open mind, but there's no comparison. I like Carey Price, don't get me wrong, but come on...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad