Player Discussion Carey Price - 2nd Baby Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL

At some point in the middle they show price working his hand eye coordination with a ball.
He looks like its his first year doing this.
Plus Hes throwing the ball so sloftly.

This is something i used to do when i was 14 years old by my self in my room with a tennis ball almost every day.

It’s beyond me that a professional goalie said to be the best in the world is not a natural at this in his 30’s.

This is the one technique you can practice any where (hotel room, dressing room, home, you name it) that gives real tangible results in a game.

#Nhlfan9191 look at the clip and tell me honestly that this guy is passionate about hockey. Hes working his glove side at 30 years old and he looks like a peewee. is this a joke?

Its like a poutine with out the sauce.

I'm surprised you're over 14 years of age.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007

At some point in the middle they show price working his hand eye coordination with a ball.

This is something i used to do when i was 14 years old by my self in my room with a tennis ball almost every day.

It’s beyond me that a professional goalie said to be the best in the world is not a natural at this in his 30’s.

This is the one technique you can practice any where (hotel room, dressing room, home, you name it) that gives real tangible results in a game.

#Nhlfan9191 look at the clip and tell me honestly that this guy is passionate about hockey. Hes working his glove side at 30 years old and he looks like a peewee. is this a joke?

Or maybe he’s just doing it slow for the video, so people like you can learn how to do it, without looking like a fool.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Different people watch the same video and come away with different opinions. You know what I came away with watching that video? When working that hand eye coordination exercise, I bet you looked more like that girl chasing the ball all over the room then you looked like Price in his Zen stance.

The hubris of some people. Jeeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Different people watch the same video and come away with different opinions. You know what I came away with watching that video? When working that hand eye coordination exercise, I bet you looked more like that girl chasing the ball all over the room then you looked like Price in his Zen stance.

The hubris of some people. Jeeze.

Yeap the girl clearly said she tried it for 5 mins. Any one who tries this excercise for the first time will look like a fool.

Besides the point of what ever they are doing is to increase your eye-hand coordination. You absolutly don’t need to be standing like that to achieve the results you need. You need to throw the ball and increase the tempo and force gradually while moving your feets. Eventually you would want to have a machine throw you balls one after the other at high speeds.

What ever price is doing is for amateurs or people who have a problem.Price wasn’t zen, he was nervous af. We know what a chill price looks like and that wasn’t it. He dint want to screw up for the camera they obviously had to take multiple cuts.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Yeap the girl clearly said she tried it for 5 mins. Any one who tries this excercise for the first time will look like a fool.

Besides the point of what ever they are doing is to increase your eye-hand coordination. You absolutly don’t need to be standing like that to achieve the results you need. You need to throw the ball and increase the tempo and force gradually while moving your feets. Eventually you would want to have a machine throw you balls one after the other at high speeds.

What ever price is doing is for amateurs or people who have a problem.Price wasn’t zen, he was nervous af. We know what a chill price looks like and that wasn’t it. He dint want to screw up for the camera they obviously had to take multiple cuts.
You absolutely certain this is Price, or that Price even acknowledges this type of training as helpful? For all we know, it could be his stunt double.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You’re being ridiculous. It’s a coordination drill. You won’t find a goalie in the league who doesn’t do this. As far as it “looks like he has no passion or looks like a peewee”, I have no idea where that’s coming from. Is Global not trying to promote excercize to people? There’s a bunch of different ways to do that drill, but showing a way to do it in which normal atheletes or people can do is the whole purpose of the segment.

He did that drill quite well. I've done this in the past and he made it look much easier than it is. What an odd criticism?

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
He did that drill quite well. I've done this in the past and he made it look much easier than it is. What an odd criticism?

My premise was that he started practicing this after his 30s.
An elite goalie should have his reflexes on point by his 20's.

My god the goalie coaching system in NA sucks, no one knows what a good goalie is any more or how to make one.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
My premise was that he started practicing this after his 30s.
An elite goalie should have his reflexes on point by his 20's.

My god the goalie coaching system in NA sucks, no one knows what a good goalie is any more or how to make one.

I’m going to ignore the first part of your post because it really doesn’t make any sense. But the goaltending development in North America is as good as it gets. In fact, we take goaltenders from Europe and teach them proper technique most of the time and improve them. I don’t know how you can say we don’t know how to develop goalies in North America when you have Price, Holtby, Murray, Crawford, Dubnyk, Jones, Hellebuyk, Gibson, Quick who can all make a case for top 10 in the league. When Bobrovsky came over from Russia, his game mechanics were awful. It wasn’t until he spent a couple years here before he rounded out. Right now, Carey Price is still the model in which younger goalies are being taught to play at all levels which is probably why you’re making this comment.

Reactions: PaulD

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I’m going to ignore the first part of your post because it really doesn’t make any sense. But the goaltending development in North America is as good as it gets. In fact, we take goaltenders from Europe and teach them proper technique most of the time and improve them. I don’t know how you can say we don’t know how to develop goalies in North America when you have Price, Holtby, Murray, Crawford, Dubnyk, Jones, Hellebuyk, Gibson, Quick who can all make a case for top 10 in the league. When Bobrovsky came over from Russia, his game mechanics were awful. It wasn’t until he spent a couple years here before he rounded out. Right now, Carey Price is still the model in which younger goalies are being taught to play at all levels which is probably why you’re making this comment.

Nah, it sucks.

I'm assuming when you;re talking about technique you're referring to his positioning around the crease?

What about his recovery technique after committing to one play or falling on his belly or being out of position?
Are these things taught in the NA system? Or is it something that's left for the individual to figure out?

Was he ever told to practice his hand-eye coordination before?

See the problem isn't the positioning technique, the problem is that goalies are discouraged to use their reflexes in NA.

You mentioned Brobovsky....

Before the goal, hes tracking the puck, his feets are constantly moving, he's fast, recovers quickly and is ready almost immediately for the next shot. That's some solid goaltending on that play even if they got scored.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You're pushing the criticism here. You see a 10 second clip of Price working on catching the ball.
I've been lucky enough to work in gyms where we have a lot of Muay Thai, BJJ, kickboxing fighters.
It's as if I took a 10 second video of them slowly going over combos, focusing on repetition rather than speed, and then criticize them because they're slow. Or show them do normal jump rope both feet together and criticize them because they're not working their rhytmn a whole lot and say a 4 year old girl can do those jumps.

Price is part of the elite group of starting goalies in the league. I mean, you know he can make glove saves and grab shots from some of the best shooters in the world...so...maybe that 10 sec clip in an under armour promo doesn't fully represent his training?

We know you don't like Price, but no need to over do it.

Reactions: PhysicX and BLONG7

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Nah, it sucks.

I'm assuming when you;re talking about technique you're referring to his positioning around the crease?

What about his recovery technique after committing to one play or falling on his belly or being out of position?
Are these things taught in the NA system? Or is it something that's left for the individual to figure out?

See the problem isn't the positioning technique, the problem is that goalies are discouraged to use their reflexes in NA.

Before the goal, hes tracking the puck, his feets are constantly moving, he's fast, recovers quickly and is ready almost immediately for the next shot. That's some solid goaltending on that play even if they got scored.

You're not making sense. If goalies were not using their reflexes, they would let in 90% of the shots.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
You're not making sense. If goalies were not using their reflexes, they would let in 90% of the shots.

Price plays the positioning game, he’s trying to anticipate if the shooter is going to shoot top middle or bottom before the shooter even makes a move. Then he positions his whole body accordingly.

In Brobosky’s video you can see him constanly moving his feets. Tracking the puck and recovering quickly as well as using some positioning techniques....but he’s reacting to the play at hand rather than guess if the shooter is going top, bottom, middle.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Price plays the positioning game, he’s trying to anticipate if the shooter is going to shoot top middle or bottom before the shooter even makes a move. Then he positions his whole body accordingly.

In Brobosky’s video you can see him constanly moving his feets. Tracking the puck and recovering quickly as well as using some positioning techniques....but he’s reacting to the play at hand rather than guess if the shooter is going top, bottom, middle.

They all play the positioning game! You have no choice because sometimes you don't see the release!

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Nah, it sucks.

Positioning is much deeper then you’re making it out to be. The way you’re writing it, it seems you think it’s about cutting off an angle and that’s it. That’s part of it, but that’s not what I’m referring too when I talk about goalies being molded to play like him. His stance, vision, ability to the read the puck off a stick, ability to read the play, and act as an active 6th defenseman is what I was getting at. Bobrovsky is incredibly athletic, but you can’t teach that. You can do a number of different things to try and enhance that area of their game, but more often it’s more of a gift. Hasek is arguably the best goaltender to play the game and his entire style was built off athleticism. But you won’t find many, if any people saying they tried to teach a goaltender to play like Hasek.

As far as recovery, one of the biggest luxery’s of his style is he doesn’t have too near as often because he’s in position most of the time and when he does get caught, he usually doesn’t have to move much to recover. If you want a few flaws for Bobrovsky, it’s that he can be overactive and slow reading the play leading to him having to make those acrobatic saves to compensate. You can argue Price’s size has a lot to do with how he plays and why he’s successful but how many goalies under 6’2 have entered the league in the last 5-10 years? Saros? And how many are left? A handful? The position has evolved to bigger guys who can cover as much net as possible and give shooters as little to look at and Price when on his game does that better then anyone and it seems to be a popular opinion as well as it often gets mentioned by a variety of different sources and if you’ve ever been around goalie camps in North America, you’d know it’s not just Montreal media bias.

It’s seems you’re fixated on speed, agility, athleticism, etc. Those are all essential traits to have, and I know you’ll never admit to Price having any of them, but he does. There isn’t a goalie in the league that doesn’t regardless if some are more gifted then others. He isn’t a simple puck stopper like a Niemi or Halak. I’ve said it before in previous posts, he isn’t worried about just stopping the first or second puck, he’s a step ahead and thinking about what comes after he does.

You and all the other fans that dislike Price can hate on him until your hearts content and call me a ****rider if you feel fit too. But he’s a very good goalie. He didn’t have it last year. He had more holes in his game at the end of the season then when it started. I don’t know the extent of your experience in hockey, but if you’ve played, you’ve likely had a coach tell you you’re trying to hard or something along those lines. And if you don’t know what that means, it means you’re overthinking the game which leads to fighting the puck or if you’re a goal scorer, gripping your stick to tight. When I watched him last year, that’s what I saw. A goalie with not a whole lot of confidence going threw the motions. I don’t know what’ll happen in the future, given his cap, I don’t know why you’d want to see him fail.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
This coming season is probably the most important in his career so far. Big contract to live up to following a terrible campaign. If he should falter early and the crowd gets on his case, he'll crumble like a house of cards. I certainly don't wish it happens, but he hasn't shown any consistency following his Vezina season. Sure, injuries played a part, but he'll be closely scrutinized. I hope he comes back strong.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Again, you're not making sense, the reaction time once the puck is shot needs to be incredibly fast. Those are trained reflexes.
You're hating for the sake of it man.
If Price was just ''guessing'' then he would suck and not be in the NHL.
Everyone can nitpick videos. Look at these highlights of his top 10 saves in 16-17, and tell me with a straight face how he's just randomly guessing. He is reacting, not differently than how Bob reatcs, and that's why he's part of the best goalies in the league.
Price has shown on many occasion that he can use his athletism as much as anyone else to make insane saves. The fact he can do that and also be incredibly technically sound is why many consider him arguably the best in the NHL. If he was just about position, well he wouldn't even be a starter in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad