Careers in Hockey: A collection of resources

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
On the road: A peek into the mind and eye of the Canadiens...

Paywall. A look at Churla, the Montreal Canadiens Director of amateur scouting.

Churla, on the other hand, is part of a large pool of ex-NHLers who work in scouting. However, by most estimates they constitute only about a third of all amateur scouts in the league. That’s a much smaller percentage than the professional scouting business, which remains the landing spot of choice for former players who want to stay in the game. On the amateur side, the correlation between former player and good scout is far from direct. Some just don’t have the eye. Others have trouble taking their NHL blinkers off. Or they have difficulty adjusting their expectations when they watch 16 and 17-year-old players and find themselves unable to project them into the future. Others aren’t willing to put in the work.

So, you don't have to have played in the NHL to be an amateur scout. But to succeed, you need to do more than just report on how he played in today's game. Scouts often look at a guy perhaps as many as 12x/season to help them see past a clunker game, and focus in on what a player is capable of doing. And look at the non-offensive skills that might ensure him a spot on a NHL roster in a different role.

Rink Rage

May 2, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello everyone! I'm an aspiring young hockey scout and I'm looking into getting my feet wet in the industry. I already took the SMWW course now I just need something small to start off with. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hello everyone! I'm an aspiring young hockey scout and I'm looking into getting my feet wet in the industry. I already took the SMWW course now I just need something small to start off with. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have been thinking about taking that course for a while now, how would you rate it? What did you get out of it?

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Is there a way to get to the NHL with a BSc and a MSc in statistics ? I'll finish my masters in a few month, so now would be the time to start searching for jobs.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Is there a way to get to the NHL with a BSc and a MSc in statistics ? I'll finish my masters in a few month, so now would be the time to start searching for jobs.

Sharks hiring. What's your experience?

Might have to get in the door via internship.

Interns for fall hiring already.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

It would be tough to jump right in to the NHL. But it's not too hard to get a gig with an OHL team or some other junior team. I don;t know much about outside of Ontario, but here a good amount of teams have volunteer analytic teams, it can be a grind but it gets your foot through the door.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I’ve been hearing how professional sports teams are slowly moving away from contracting companies to manage all of the front offices it infrastructure like databases, networks, etc and moving towards having in house staff, but I never see openings for those types of jobs. Is it just a case of there being so few jobs and the people involved never leaving?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I’ve been hearing how professional sports teams are slowly moving away from contracting companies to manage all of the front offices it infrastructure like databases, networks, etc and moving towards having in house staff, but I never see openings for those types of jobs. Is it just a case of there being so few jobs and the people involved never leaving?

My guess is that a majority of teams are just handing responsibility over to someone already in the organization.

Reactions: Mafoofoo

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Love of the game and taking responsibility. College senior playing club hockey, president of club hockey team, and working as video coach for minor league team.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall. Meet the Penguins VP of media relations. The one the players trust and listen to, in interacting with media and public. She's always thinking how the media will spin something. And inspiration for a number of girls/women to work in hockey.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am in italy right now and had dinner last night with a budfy who works for one of the top italian football clubs.

We talked about this thread and while he is a huge hockey fan he found a disconnect between fans who tried to work behind the scenes and those whi maybe fans treated it like a business first.

He came over to Europe during the lock out year and never left. He worked for both the leafs and Canadians at different times.

We worked together at Leeds FC during the bad times and he used that as a launching plateform here in Italy.

Fans assume they will sit at the big table from the word go.

That is not how it works

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->