Careers in Hockey: A collection of resources

sjosty26

May 8, 2013
Hey man I can't answer your question but I am very interested in interning with a hockey team... I am currently a college student studying business sports management any recommendations on how you got to be an intern what it takes,how to apply etc. thank you so much.

If you're looking for an NHL team check NHL.com/jobs , they'll post intern positions on there.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
To recap, it's not so much who you know, albeit important, but what kind of impression you leave on them. Be proactive and get involved, be it with your school or a minor league team in the area. You need to gain experience, without it you won't be getting a call back from a big time organization any time soon. And lastly, make sure to take initiative and try to make an impact in whatever you do because people are sure to notice, which will help you in climbing the later.

This is true. Its how I got my first job with a pro team. Worked for one of the owners other companies, word got around that I knew my **** and then i moved up thru the ranks.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Know a young hockey broadcaster looking for a dream job?

https://cbs.avature.net/cbsradiocareers/JobDetail/Sports-Announcer-Play-by-Play-WBZ-FM/9414

98.5 The Sports Hub is searching for our next play-by-play star for the Boston Bruins! Have you called professional or college hockey games? Do you have what it takes to call the games for an Original Six team in the Hub of Hockey? If so, we want to hear from you. As a play-by-play announcer, you will be working alongside 11-year NHL veteran, Bob Beers in the booth. Boston Bruins games are heard throughout New England on the Boston Bruins Radio Network and across the country on the radio.com app. Please include an audio link or attach audio examples.

RealRockNRolla

Oct 5, 2017
I've been pondering whether to post this or not, given the replies that I may/may not receive but has anyone else seriously considered looking into doing General Manager/Scouting courses that could end up with employment within the hockey community? Right now, for me personally, I am in my final year of my 4 year Psychology degree at University and I want to focus on using my psychology knowledge with analytics/scouting etc to potentially land an NHL job which has been something I have wanted for the better part of two decades. Has anyone got any insight or experience in the whole process? Or are there any members of the forum that either work or have worked for well established senior or junior hockey teams?

Apologies if this doesn't belong in the business of hockey forum, I genuinely had no idea where else to post it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Friedman's 31 thoughts. Starting at #26, Adam Foote talks about life and becoming (defensive) player development guy for scouting organization.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I've been pondering whether to post this or not, given the replies that I may/may not receive but has anyone else seriously considered looking into doing General Manager/Scouting courses that could end up with employment within the hockey community? Right now, for me personally, I am in my final year of my 4 year Psychology degree at University and I want to focus on using my psychology knowledge with analytics/scouting etc to potentially land an NHL job which has been something I have wanted for the better part of two decades. Has anyone got any insight or experience in the whole process? Or are there any members of the forum that either work or have worked for well established senior or junior hockey teams?

Apologies if this doesn't belong in the business of hockey forum, I genuinely had no idea where else to post it.

I assume you're referring to the SMWW courses? A colleague told me that while he found them interesting/informative, they provide absolutely nothing in terms of developing contacts / providing opportunities. Not surprising.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Hey man I can't answer your question but I am very interested in interning with a hockey team... I am currently a college student studying business sports management any recommendations on how you got to be an intern what it takes,how to apply etc. thank you so much.

Sorry I took so long to see this. Honestly, just apply for any opportunity you see. Search for internships on NHL.com and teamworkonline. Doesn't matter what department, once you're in and people like you they'll likely help you find a position you'd want to the best of their ability. Talk to professors in your program. I also studied sports management. One of them gave me Lou Lamoriello's email. That didn't go anywhere, but the point is to definitely use all the resources at your disposal.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
StocktonHeat.com | Heat Announce Event Management Initiative with the University of the Pacific

AHL Stockton Heat teaming up with local college (University of the Pacific) to give Sports Management class real life experience with game presentation, etc.

From press release
Twelve students in the Sport Event and Facility Management class, will “take-over” the Heat’s game and work with Heat staff on all aspects of the business including ticket sales, sponsorships sales, marketing and event operations.

“We’re excited to work with Professor Pete Schroeder and this talented group of Pacific students to get real-world, hands on experience in managing and planning an event of this magnitude and helping us grow our event presentation business” Heat CEO Brian Petrovek said. “All 12 of these students have an interest in becoming the next crop of successful sports executives, and the experience they’ll receive will give these students a leg up as they determine what aspect in the sports and entertainment industry they’d like to pursue as a full-time career.”

Students will work in small groups with Heat staff members in their specialized areas, determining everything from ticket packages and corporate partnerships, writing and executing a game script, marketing strategy and messaging and much more.

STLBluesWriter

Jun 6, 2018
St. Louis, MO
Hey Guys, I recently accepted a volunteer writing role for a website to write about the St. Louis Blues. I currently have a full time job, but I wouldn't mind making side cash down the line writing for the Blues part time.

My question is, since I'm fairly new to this, do any of you have suggestions as to how I can connect with other writers and get their advice/input? (Emailing beat writers? Reaching out to them on social media?) What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad