Career Value Goerge "Buck" Boucher/ Zdeno "Big Z" Chara

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Zdeno Chara is not yet a more accomplished defenseman than Georges Boucher and likely will never be. He may come close, though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for those of us who went who the **** is Georg Buck Boucher

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=18926

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Boucher

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Lege...jsp?type=Player&mem=P196001&list=ByName#photo

anything in the orginal 6 when comparing to modern time is silly

going back to the 1930's for a player is one step beyond silly--especially when you consider Boucher was 5-9

and just to let you know one reason Boucher got into the Hall was becuase he was dying at the time and there was a movement by I believe it was the Canadians and Leafs due to his relationship with managers of those teams to get him into the hall before he died

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Boucher was the #1 defenseman on the NHL's first dynasty. You really think he wouldn't have gotten into the Hall on his own merit?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Boucher was the #1 defenseman on the NHL's first dynasty. You really think he wouldn't have gotten into the Hall on his own merit?

Every years--there is a story about a retired played who had several good years who is ill or in fact about to pass away and there is a movement put forward to get the player in the hall of fame or not--LAst time it happened Boucher was used as an example of a players who was very sick being put in and one of the reason the vetrens comitee was created, Boucher wated nearly 30 years after he retired and was put in as what we would now call "the vetrens" catagory.

Next hall of fame announcement--pay attention to the 4 or 5 names announced--you will get the builders, reporters and then you will get the vetrens commitee decision of which vetren player. not in the hall but should be there and what not.

I think the OP knows the story behind NOucher getting in and used him for a reason

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
LAst time it happened Boucher was used as an example of a players who was very sick being put in and one of the reason the vetrens comitee was created, Boucher wated nearly 30 years after he retired and was put in as what we would now call "the vetrens" catagory.

-Georges Boucher was inducted in 1960
-Veterans committee was created in 1988

Next hall of fame announcement--pay attention to the 4 or 5 names announced--you will get the builders, reporters and then you will get the vetrens commitee decision of which vetren player. not in the hall but should be there and what not.

-Veterans committee has been disbanded in 2000

..And by the way. The Hockey Hall of Fame was created in 1945. 1960 was only the 7th class being inducted. 80% of players inducted before this date had their career years before Boucher. In fact, Boucher has been inducted with/before a lot of his contemporaries. You are either uninformed or seeing things.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Every years--there is a story about a retired played who had several good years who is ill or in fact about to pass away and there is a movement put forward to get the player in the hall of fame or not--LAst time it happened Boucher was used as an example of a players who was very sick being put in and one of the reason the vetrens comitee was created, Boucher wated nearly 30 years after he retired and was put in as what we would now call "the vetrens" catagory.

I think the OP knows the story behind NOucher getting in and used him for a reason

Way off base here. Boucher is one of the best 30-35 d-men of all time in the eyes of many informed people, a no-brainer for the HOF. Top defender on a dynasty, name one other player with that credential who is not inducted.

Chara has built himself a pretty solid career so far. He's no Boucher for career value, but I don't think it's a bad comparison by any means. Both are/were amongst the best in the league in their prime. Boucher just maintained that peak level longer than Chara has (so far).

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I may be in the minority, but I find Chara's body of work a lot less impressive than his accolades show them to be. A Norris, 2 first-team AS, 2 second-team AS. That's a damn good resume.

I just never have been that impressed with him, honestly, for some reason. For being such an elite shutdown defenseman, he has never shut down anything in the playoffs. For being so large, and a good skater at that, he just doesn't seem that physically intimidating, especially since leaving Ottawa.

When I look at Chara, I see a defenseman capable of dominating the playoffs in the all-around way Chris Pronger has done in the past 5 seasons. In the end, he leaves me feeling a lot like Joe Thornton does; so talented and with the potential to dominate playoff series, but never seems to be much of a factor.

Doesn't he have the hardest slap-shot of all-time, at least on record? Despite his gaudy goal totals from the past few seasons, I never seem to see his shot being a difference-maker in big games. I can't help but think of Al MacInnis and how his shot completely changed the course of a Stanley Cup Final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad