Career turn around?

Which player will turn their career around the most?

• Pearson

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Spooner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schenn

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Leivo

Votes: 27 49.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Which of these players do you think will turn their career around the most now that they have been traded to Vancouver?

My guess is Pearson. He’s popped in 24 goals in a season before and is only 26 years of age. He’s a cerebral two way player with a deceptive shot. We have lots of options at center (EP, BH, AG) for Pearson to rebuild himself.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Schenn, because he's the biggest long shot. And because the Canucks have so little depth on the right side, and the bar is very low. If Luke can become an adequate third pairing guy for a single season, that counts as a turn-around.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Benning. He's evolving like Pikachu. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets another extension

Like this:

16bzhoh.jpg

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
Pearson, could get back if propped up by our top 6 centres and the complete lack of LW depth will get him time.

Well, Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin, and their LW isn't exactly anything to awe at (Guentzel, Aston-Reese, McCann, and Wilson). So if Pearson can't get it going in Pittsburgh, I doubt he'll fare much better in Vancouver.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I would say Leivo so far...I haven't really had a good look at Pearson yet (I've heard conflicting reports about his ability)

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Well, Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin, and their LW isn't exactly anything to awe at (Guentzel, Aston-Reese, McCann, and Wilson). So if Pearson can't get it going in Pittsburgh, I doubt he'll fare much better in Vancouver.

He had 9 goals in 44 games with the Pens (17 goal pace, which is essentially his career average). It was the disastrous start in LA that did him in, 1 assist in 17 games.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I'm going Pearson. I think he was traded to shake things up in LA, not because there is anything fundamentally different to the way he plays this year. It was almost fortuitous that Pittsburgh wanted Gudbranson. I would have preferred someone like ZAR instead but Pearson is a nice player. While he's being pencilled in on the wing with EP or Bo, I think his real home will be on the LW next to Gaudette next year and Eriksson will be moved.

That being said, I see Schenn and Leivo at least making it to next year's trade deadline.

I know that we are basically comparing nothing sandwiches, but they are a lot more filling than the Leipsic's and Vey's of the past.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
What are people expecting from them?

Every one of those players is playing exactly how their abilities allow. In the NHL they are avg hockey players at best and 2 of them might even be avg AHL players.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I'm gonna say Schenn. Leivo's not really a turnaround candidate per se, he's kind of always been who he is. Spooner is too lazy to reform. Pearson is a very weird player for me. Passed over twice in the draft, then a first rounder, then a good NHLer, then a ghost? I don't know what his deal is. I'm not saying Schenn's going to become what Don Cherry thought he was 6 years ago with the Leafs, but maybe he can become a consistent bottom pairing guy who doesn't suck.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm gonna say Schenn. Leivo's not really a turnaround candidate per se, he's kind of always been who he is. Spooner is too lazy to reform. Pearson is a very weird player for me. Passed over twice in the draft, then a first rounder, then a good NHLer, then a ghost? I don't know what his deal is. I'm not saying Schenn's going to become what Don Cherry thought he was 6 years ago with the Leafs, but maybe he can become a consistent bottom pairing guy who doesn't suck.
That ain’t much of bar to hit. (is., going from a solid AHLer to a #6).

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Schenn is what he is... slow. And this is a fast man's league.
Spooner's a soft one-way player. He'll go the way of Gagne.
Pearson's a tweener. Maybe he'll be put in the right situation and thrive... maybe he'll just be an expensive 4th liner.
Leivo has some upside... and he hasn't played a lot of hockey over the last couple of seasons, so perhaps he can finally put it all together. But he's been getting some prime opportunities here and not really showing anything super special.

Best guess is that none of them really turn things around and that all of them will be out of the league in 3 years.

If I had to bet, my money would go on Pearson as he's young-ish and has shown a middle to upper tier skill set.
Then Leivo, but if he can't start really shining with a center like Pettersson, then he might not be anything other than a bottom 6 guy at best.
The other two are just placeholders on a bad team with serious injury problems and no depth.

Reactions: Hit the post

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
My guess is Pearson. He’s popped in 24 goals in a season before and is only 26 years of age. He’s a cerebral two way player with a deceptive shot. We have lots of options at center (EP, BH, AG) for Pearson to rebuild himself.

He is my guess as well.

However he did spend most of his time with Malkin and Kessel and the results were not pretty so Im not sure the linemates he will be exposed to here is going to be a key factor.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i think both Pearson and Leivo can get to 35-45pt winger status and will be good middle sixers for us for a bit.

Good aquisitions for less than nothing.

Horvat Pearson Leivo
Pettersson Goldobin Boeser
Gaudette Roussel Virtanen

Sutter Motte Beagle
MacEwen/Eriksson/Granlund

Baertschi is likely done
Spooner will bounce up and down for a year.
Granlund gets re signed maybe as a depth player if they can move Sutter
Eriksson they start forcing him to the minors

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I think Pearson has the best chance to regain his previous scoring ability. Hopefully he finds a comfort level playing with either Bo or Elias
Leivo will probably do well and be in the league for a few more years at least but I don't see him really making big gains in his scoring totals thus he can't really have a "turn around".
Spooner I don't know enough about and haven't watched enough to make a fair assessment.
Schenn has a chance to stay on the team as the physical 3rd pairing guy the team needs. I have a feeling he will be on the team a while if he can play a simple game and take care of his own end.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
None? It just seems like they can't keep up the pace. If I could choose one it'd be Leivo though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad