OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I'm at this weird place in my career.

I made a career in marketing from one angle of advertising or another. I was going for Marketing jobs mostly when I was out of work for a year. I ended up finding a Project Manager role in a Utility company through my network. If I'm quite honest it didn't work out well since I didn't have the necessary experience. However, another team kept me on for finance work starting Feb 1st. I've been doing finance work, albeit I'm not as involved as some people, do some forecasts, do some models, but it's not hardcore finance or anything. I was told a few weeks ago that they won't be extending my contract. So my question is, does having a one year detour in PM work and finance work something that would make me look disorganized if I want to go back to Marketing? Can less than 4 months of Corporate Finance work be enough to get a Corp Fin job somewhere? I wouldn't want to do PM work again. That was a horrible life experience and not something I want to revisit.

Now, this may be moot because I found out this week they MIGHT be keeping me. But I don't really know how long or if they'll know it. If I stay another 6 months to a year would that experience be enough for future Corporate Finance jobs?

I know I'm all over the place but as of this moment, I'm not sure if I'm staying or going.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was thinking along these lines but @Gardner McKay brings up a good point that I have an opportunity at diversified degrees. I definitely have some stuff to think about.

But in the meantime it's nice having a big boy job. I'm still staying with my dad, because honestly, he's cool and who needs roommate problems? But I'm paying him full rent even without full time hours :D

See this is why I'm a spoiled brat and not an upstanding citizen like yourself. My parents would never ask me for rent to stay with them. That's the only reason I'd stay with them to save money.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
See this is why I'm a spoiled brat and not an upstanding citizen like yourself. My parents would never ask me for rent to stay with them. That's the only reason I'd stay with them to save money.
I try :laugh:

If I told him I didn't have it, he'd let me go, but I'm gonna be 27 soon, I don't wanna be a bum forever.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

I made a career in marketing from one angle of advertising or another. I was going for Marketing jobs mostly when I was out of work for a year. I ended up finding a Project Manager role in a Utility company through my network. If I'm quite honest it didn't work out well since I didn't have the necessary experience. However, another team kept me on for finance work starting Feb 1st. I've been doing finance work, albeit I'm not as involved as some people, do some forecasts, do some models, but it's not hardcore finance or anything. I was told a few weeks ago that they won't be extending my contract. So my question is, does having a one year detour in PM work and finance work something that would make me look disorganized if I want to go back to Marketing? Can less than 4 months of Corporate Finance work be enough to get a Corp Fin job somewhere? I wouldn't want to do PM work again. That was a horrible life experience and not something I want to revisit.

Now, this may be moot because I found out this week they MIGHT be keeping me. But I don't really know how long or if they'll know it. If I stay another 6 months to a year would that experience be enough for future Corporate Finance jobs?

I know I'm all over the place but as of this moment, I'm not sure if I'm staying or going.
Doubtful. My wife is in corporate finance and unless you've done hardcore work, the four months of experience aren't a whole lot to go on. Conversely the one year detour doesn't destroy you at all.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

Have you considered a career in consulting? Project management exposes you to powerful tools that can be used in other fields. I wouldn't highlight the corporate finance aspect of your experience, but perhaps a position at a financial services consultancy isn't a bad fit. I work at a major investment bank, and we use plenty of outside consultants, many of whose backgrounds aren't even in finance. Some are engineers. Others are project managers. You have a bit of everything.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Doubtful. My wife is in corporate finance and unless you've done hardcore work, the four months of experience aren't a whole lot to go on. Conversely the one year detour doesn't destroy you at all.

Thanks, what if they do keep me for another year, you think that could be another career option? I feel like most Corp Fin is up my alley. I don't think most Corp Fin is the hardcore stuff you learn in business school and even then I have some background in that as I have a finance concentration in my MBA. But most people I talk to and from this job Corporate Finance is not like banking where you need to know how financial statements work inside and out. But once again I don't have THAT much exposure to real life Corp Fin. But at my company it's basically here are your inputs what are the outputs. Do some 3rd grade math to get it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Have you considered a career in consulting? Project management exposes you to powerful tools that can be used in other fields. I wouldn't highlight the corporate finance aspect of your experience, but perhaps a position at a financial services consultancy isn't a bad fit. I work at a major investment bank, and we use plenty of outside consultants, many of whose backgrounds aren't even in finance. Some are engineers. Others are project managers. You have a bit of everything.

To be 100% honest and this isn't something I'd obviously say in an interview, the experience I got from project management is limited. In the sense that I was dropped in the middle of a $25 million project with no experience in IT or PM and had predictable results. I learned some stuff obviously but it was like giving a bum a knife and telling him to perform brain surgery. I'm MUCH more confident in my financial skills. That's why I highlight it more than my PM background.

Last edited:

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I was thinking along these lines but @Gardner McKay brings up a good point that I have an opportunity at diversified degrees. I definitely have some stuff to think about.

But in the meantime it's nice having a big boy job. I'm still staying with my dad, because honestly, he's cool and who needs roommate problems? But I'm paying him full rent even without full time hours :D

Well, why not think about this way:
What doors does a Sociology PhD open that I cannot currently open?
What doors that I currently have open does it enhance?

And then do the same for English.

Imo, if you really want to pursue sociology, do that. If you think you may want to do anything else, pursue english. Reason being: if you take a writing role in an industry other than sociology, the PhD will provide you with pretty much no benefit.

Do you see yourself going into academics? The private sector? Non profits? Really will come down to how you want to hedge your bets for the future.

Reactions: Machinehead

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
@SnowblindNYR

I wouldn't worry about the impression the year doing PM/Finance work will have on a marketing position. The hiring manager will probably just ignore it cause it's not related to the position specifically. Maybe they'll ask your impressions of it, but not hold it against you. Nothing wrong with saying "I wanted to venture into a new field and try something new."

(I would not say I took the contract b/c there was nothing else going on - even if it's true)

Reactions: will1066

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
@SnowblindNYR

I wouldn't worry about the impression the year doing PM/Finance work will have on a marketing position. The hiring manager will probably just ignore it cause it's not related to the position specifically. Maybe they'll ask your impressions of it, but not hold it against you. Nothing wrong with saying "I wanted to venture into a new field and try something new."

(I would not say I took the contract b/c there was nothing else going on - even if it's true)

Thanks! That does make things easier.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks, what if they do keep me for another year, you think that could be another career option? I feel like most Corp Fin is up my alley. I don't think most Corp Fin is the hardcore stuff you learn in business school and even then I have some background in that as I have a finance concentration in my MBA. But most people I talk to and from this job Corporate Finance is not like banking where you need to know how financial statements work inside and out. But once again I don't have THAT much exposure to real life Corp Fin. But at my company it's basically here are your inputs what are the outputs. Do some 3rd grade math to get it.
If you have a finance concentration then that'll work to your advantage. My wife is in it, not me, but she always talks about reconciliation, audits, month end closings.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

You are lucky, I started paying rent the day I turned 18.

Reactions: All Might

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
@SnowblindNYR I know we have spoken in the past when I was heading to MBA, I have a lot of experience both "re-branding" a resume/profile and with Corp Finance recruiting. Happy to chat if you have specific questions, shoot me a PM.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
So my employer is offering a $2500 stipend for training/education and I'm looking for some suggestions on how to spend it. It has to be departmentally approved obviously, but it doesn't have to be directly related to my current position in the insurance/finance industry. Not enough towards any degree - I already have an MBA and I'm not spending more on colleges.

My experience is in PM/BA IT projects, most recently a few years on SAP products. My strength is definitely more in the business knowledge than technical expertise.

Could be a Series license, a PMP, a course to learn a programming language, etc.

Any ideas? I'm leaning towards some analytics type learning. I've messed around a bit with free sites, but nothing in depth. It's something that bosses swoon over, though 90% of them have no idea wtf it means.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Anyone know anything about Nashville, TN?

Just had an interview for a IT Project Delivery Manager role in Credit Risk at an international investment bank out there. Company is HQed in Switzerland. Interviewed with a guy in London for the position.

Came up out of nowhere. A PM who was working with us was let go. Connected on LinkedIn, said that it didn't matter because she was hired in Nashville. Week later, she messages me that they're looking for a PM, recommends me, and I do the application.

That usually never works for me...however,

Last week they contact me and today I'm interviewed. Don't know how to feel...

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Anyone know anything about Nashville, TN?

Just had an interview for a IT Project Delivery Manager role in Credit Risk at an international investment bank out there. Company is HQed in Switzerland. Interviewed with a guy in London for the position.

Came up out of nowhere. A PM who was working with us was let go. Connected on LinkedIn, said that it didn't matter because she was hired in Nashville. Week later, she messages me that they're looking for a PM, recommends me, and I do the application.

That usually never works for me...however,

Last week they contact me and today I'm interviewed. Don't know how to feel...

Feel good. My career skyrocketed from an out-of-nowhere, unsolicited LinkedIn occurrence.

I don't know much about Nashville. I went there once for business. But I've seen and read that it is one of the fastest growing areas now. It is thriving. Property values right now are good but that probably won't last.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I'm about to start another job search. Hopefully this time I'll be an employee. I hate feeling like I don't work in a company and be a contractor.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
So I'm about to start another job search. Hopefully this time I'll be an employee. I hate feeling like I don't work in a company and be a contractor.

As someone who had done it for a few years, I completely agree with you. It's not only the feeling that you don't actually work for the company you report to, it's the feeling of absolutely no security, and you really aren't getting compensated for risk (or for knowledge as what the whole arrangement is supposed to be.)

Then again, you can be in my shoes. Five years FTE with/in an organization where you don't see a future, where you aren't compensated properly*, in a geographic location (Charlotte) that isn't really friendly to experienced professionals in compensation and in career level. So, having to move not only job, but geographically, is basically what I have to do. At least you're single with no family attachments.

* - Everyone says this, but I'm even 15% under their median for job title and responsibilities.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As someone who had done it for a few years, I completely agree with you. It's not only the feeling that you don't actually work for the company you report to, it's the feeling of absolutely no security, and you really aren't getting compensated for risk (or for knowledge as what the whole arrangement is supposed to be.)

Then again, you can be in my shoes. Five years FTE with/in an organization where you don't see a future, where you aren't compensated properly*, in a geographic location (Charlotte) that isn't really friendly to experienced professionals in compensation and in career level. So, having to move not only job, but geographically, is basically what I have to do. At least you're single with no family attachments.

* - Everyone says this, but I'm even 15% under their median for job title and responsibilities.

Wow, your situation sucks. Sorry you're going through it.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Wow, your situation sucks. Sorry you're going through it.

Thanks.

Actually, for the entire topic of the thread. I'm sure everyone can look back and see where there were forks in the road and you may have chosen the wrong one. The best advice I can give anyone career related is to follow your gut instinct, and if your gut instinct tells you something is wrong, it most likely is, and get out of that situation as quickly as you can, or you can easily become trapped where getting out is going to become extremely painful.

We should have left Charlotte seven years ago after I was fired from a contracting role for something to this day, I for the life of me cannot figure out. I should have realized then it would have been far better to leave than try to fight a culture, attitude, and acceptance of things I just don't understand.

But no, I took a role with much lower pay just to keep working and "re-establish my confidence" (words of a recruiter who said to me, regardless of what it was that you supposedly did, or didn't do, it's still your all your fault). Gut instinct told me at the time that this "advice" was just plain wrong. Sure, if I had actually failed in my role, that's completely understandable, but when it's a random firing because someone had a bad day and they just don't like you? Please. Charlotte is a place where people seem to enjoy getting served **** sandwiches, and actually thank the server. And for the few who think that's wrong, those people are the ones with "attitude problems". Again, gut instinct tells me there is something inherently wrong with that.

However, I've stayed here as the city gets younger and I get older, and feel trapped.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well, I got SCREWED.

Was all but hired, agreed in principle to a salary, and relo benefits. Was just waiting for the official offer that was supposed to come yesterday.

Yesterday, they pulled the job req. Hiring manager's manager claimed the "new position(s)" this one position (that was actually hired in December, but that guy couldn't commit to a relo) would have created didn't fit in the budget for the actual amount of work for the remainder of 2018 and 2019.

Story of my (blanking) life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad